Argentina

Maradona37

Going back to the past - people talk about 2014, but one overlooked tournament just before Messi hit his prime is Germany 2006. I remember it well as it was just after I first got the internet in the house and began communicating online.

Argentina were the best team in that tournament, with Riquelme playing like the player of the tournament and a 19 year old Messi coming off the bench.

Then in the quarter-final against the hosts, Argentina were winning 1-0 and Pekerman subbed off Riquelme to protect the lad. This gave Germany a boost and they equalised and eventually progressed. Messi never entered the pitch, he was never brought on.

I still maintain that Argentina were the best team in that tournament, and but for Pekerman's arguable mistake, Messi could have started his career with a World Cup. Think of the pressure that would have taken off of him for many years at international level. On the other hand, he'd never have had this redemption arc he's had in the last three tournaments, which in a way makes his legacy even stronger.

And Riquelme was a brilliant footballer. I know he struggled at Barca, and was poor off the ball and would never fit into modern football, but what a number 10 and playmaker he was. Vision and passing were sublime. Quality at Villarreal.

That tournament remains a what if for me.

Maradona37

In all seriousness, a 48 team tournament has never been done before in football, I am pretty sure.

How will they handle it logistically? The fixtures are laid out but the practicalities. And will fans grow tired of so many games over such a long span? 72 group games to get rid of a third of the field (16/48)?

This is like the Euros doubled in size. The Euros wasn't that good this year, so I am thinking on and off the pitch this tournament might be poor.

Throw in a possible Trump presidency and potential fireworks on USA's 250th birthday.

Porque

Argentina's nearly run of 2014-2020 before hiring Scaloni should be the motivation of England to tweak things with a proper managerial choice after this nearly run of 2018-2024.

Horatio

You're welcome
Yes. I do want to point out which i forgot is form a mental aspect it really is difficult to keep the motivation going after having won as much already.

Maradona37

Yes. I do want to point out which i forgot is form a mental aspect it really is difficult to keep the motivation going after having won as much already.
In fact yeah - successfully defending the World Cup could be an incentive for him. As I said above has only been done twice.

KingLeo10

Germany's run from 1966-1990 (24 years) deserves a lot of attention:

1966: WC final (Loss)
1970: WC semi-final (lost to Italy in that epic 4-3 match)
1974: WC final (Won v Cruyff's Holland)
1978: WC KOs
1982: WC final (Loss)
1986: WC final (Loss v Maradona)
1990: WC final (Won v Maradona)

Also won 2 Euros in this time frame.

soul24rage

@soul24rage how good is carboni for mf
I like Carboni, but don't think that he will be helping in the WC26. He needs a lot of development.

I'd go for Soule as the RW.

For midfield, I would integrate Alan Varela (Porto) and Equi Fernandez (Boca Jrs. - rumored to go to Marseille under De Zerbi).

Echeverri could have an Enzo Fernandez WC22 impact if his development is right.

Both Echeverri and Equi Fernandez will be in the Summer 2024 Olympics so a good chance to see how they do. Argentina might even win the Olympic Gold Medal with the squad they have lmao.

Horatio

You're welcome
I like Carboni, but don't think that he will be helping in the WC26. He needs a lot of development.

I'd go for Soule as the RW.

For midfield, I would integrate Alan Varela (Porto) and Equi Fernandez (Boca Jrs. - rumored to go to Marseille under De Zerbi).

Echeverri could have an Enzo Fernandez WC22 impact if his development is right.

Both Echeverri and Equi Fernandez will be in the Summer 2024 Olympics so a good chance to see how they do. Argentina might even win the Olympic Gold Medal with the squad they have lmao.
Argentinian friends started going on about carboni. Didn’t mention names you mentioned. Think ur actually better informed than them lol

Home of Barca Fans