Arturo Vidal

serghei

There is DUI and there is what Vidal did to his vehicle with his wife sat next to him, while totally off his head on alcohol. So this is not your standard DUI.

He could have easily killed himself, his wife, another motorist, or some innocent pedestrian. Only by fate and a large slice of luck judging by the condition of his car, this didn't happen.

Does that mean that he should not be punished?

Sure, let him off with a pathetically short driving ban, so he came go and do the same again in the future. Just pray that it's not one of your loved ones that is in his firing line. :shakeshead:

I think you're exaggerating, with the information you have at the moment. In USA the legal limit at some point was 0.1. Vidal had 0.12 (repots say), that's not very high.

"Judging by the condition of his car", that's not very indicative. I've seen mild accidents and the cars looked really bad. You can't tell these days, with the materials they use to make cars.

Observer

Banned
A man is defined by his actions. Go figure?

There is a difference between actions and other's opinions of your actions based on x,y,z

If you don't have concrete information, you are relying on apealness/likeness/prejudice/etc

What is the basis of your judgement value?

Observer

Banned
That was not the point (and not my opinion), but you just proved mine

Everyone can be as prejudist as the level of information he/she's been fed.

ceefoo

I think you're exaggerating, with the information you have at the moment. In USA the legal limit at some point was 0.1. Vidal had 0.12 (repots say), that's not very high.

"Judging by the condition of his car", that's not very indicative. I've seen mild accidents and the cars looked really bad. You can't tell these days, with the materials they use to make cars.
Okay, so he wasn't that far above the legal limit, I concede that. However...

What you need to take in to account is that footballers don't or shouldn't drink alcohol as much as the average person. Their tolerance levels aren't as high, so what may seem a relatively small amount over the legal limit, would have a bigger effect on someone that doesn't get plastered every weekend. No?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

0.12 is high. Anything over the legal limit is high no matter how you put it. You're putting other people under danger and I personally have no sympathy for anyone who drives under influence.

Last edited:

serghei

Okay, so he wasn't that far above the legal limit, I concede that. However...

What you need to take in to account is that footballers don't or shouldn't drink alcohol as much as the average person. Their tolerance levels aren't as high, so what may seem a relatively small amount over the legal limit, would have a bigger effect on someone that doesn't get plastered every weekend. No?

Yea, he messed up. Make him a pedestrian for at least 90 days and fine him big time. But actual jail time, for a minor accident, first time offense probably? No way.

0.12 is high. Anything over the legal limit is high no matter how you put it. You're putting other people under danger and I have no sympathy for whoever drives under influence.

It's your bussiness how you view the accident, I just said that the tone of the comments seemed to me disproportional with the gravity of the incident. Seriously, I thought he killed a man with his car at first, skimming through the comments.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

0.12, that's high by any standard..
Lolwut? Isn't that barely a pint of beer? (maybe measurements are written differently where i live). If so, he probably got into accident more because of his naturally boisterous nature, which is often reflected by driving manners, than any influence of alcohol.

ceefoo

That was not the point (and not my opinion), but you just proved mine

Everyone can be as prejudist as the level of information he/she's been fed.
You've got me wrong. Everyone makes mistakes and depending on that mistake, they would usually be deserving of a second chance.

If it was someone like Claudio Bravo this happened to, I would still slaughter him. It would however be out of character, so a good-guy like Bravo would deserve redemption. Vidal is not a good guy (Am I wrong here?). We are all in agreement that Vidal is not a good-guy right? Has he even apologised?

Although, I admit that making the comment of wanting him to shatter his legs and never play football again was born out of my dislike of him. My dislike of him does not influence my opinion that he should be harshly punished, because as we all know, the guy has history.

serghei

My dislike of him does not influence my opinion that he should be harshly punished, because as we all know, the guy has history.

What history. Has he been caught DUI before? If not, he should get away with a big fine and a suspension of his driving licence for a few months. Add to that some lessons on how to behave like a good citizen in some corectional institution from Chile (just to give the media some cool stuff to write about) :lol:.

Observer

Banned
You've got me wrong. Everyone makes mistakes and depending on that mistake, they would usually be deserving of a second chance.

If it was someone like Claudio Bravo this happened to, I would still slaughter him. It would however be out of character, so a good-guy like Bravo would deserve redemption. Vidal is not a good guy (Am I wrong here?). We are all in agreement that Vidal is not a good-guy right? Has he even apologised?

Although, I admit that making the comment of wanting him to shatter his legs and never play football again was born out of my dislike of him. My dislike of him does not influence my opinion that he should be harshly punished, because as we all know, the guy has history.

Don't really like labeling people as good/bad because I've seen good people doing bad things and the other way around and these type of actions are more of a sport guy with discipline issues rather than a mass murder (epitome of a bad person by global idiosincracy).

I think at this point you could say Vidal its a bit of a child, has bad judgement and probably a screw loose here and there. Not sure if that constitutes being a bad person, just an inmature adult/professional overall.

I always give the example of the Agassi perception in media while in sports / out of sports / after drug issues found

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans