Aymeric Laporte

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Yeah Athletic are just waiting to bend over backwards to Mr Woodwork and sell Laporte for half his buyout. BS

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If he's still here in January next year when our transfer ban ends, would you guys want us to pay his 42m buyout and get him or look at other options?

khaled_a_d

If he's still here in January next year when our transfer ban ends, would you guys want us to pay his 42m buyout and get him or look at other options?

I still stand to my opinion ,he is good with ton of potential but he is still a project when it comes to playing in a club like us .he isn't that good yet .for 42M I would want a player who would start now at least tbh

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I still stand to my opinion ,he is good with ton of potential but he is still a project when it comes to playing in a club like us .he isn't that good yet .for 42M I would want a player who would start now at least tbh

I honestly don't see us getting a well established CB now.

We could have got Benatia in summer but blew the chance.

zanela

Given there is a dearth of top class CBs in the market, who are also at the right age and make for feasible transaction, I don't know which "estd CB" Khalid is referring to, and 'd rather have. Personally, see no reservations with bringing in a CB, who has the tools plus LL experience, and brings with him longevity and eco. value. He may not be finished article yet but partnered alongside a senior defender he should be fine. But alas, I see him being captured by one of ManU/RM in the summer.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
If he's still here in January, we should pay his buyout clause. In the mean time, regardless of whether Dortmund go down or not, we could also take a look at Mats Hummels.

Leo_Messi

If he's still here in January, we should pay his buyout clause. In the mean time, regardless of whether Dortmund go down or not, we could also take a look at Mats Hummels.

Hummels is slightly above average at best when it comes to pure defending. When it comes to "flair", his passing game, vision etc. then he is second to none on his position. Having said that then the main strength of a defender should always be his ability to defend. I don't think that Hummels is worth all the hype on this front. He is slow too.

Our future long-term central defender must be quick to compliment Piqué/Mascherano/Bartra.

I see Laporte as a player in the same league as Varane, Marquinhos etc. in terms of potential.

Anyway a lot can happen before the summer. I don't see the club investing in a future top class CB until the summer of 2016. Who knows what talents, opportunities etc. will emerge by then?

Rapha

Laporte is one the best defensor very technical, like Varane... It's the future defensor for France with Varane and i want to see this player with Barça, he is perfect for Barcelona.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Anyway a lot can happen before the summer. I don't see the club investing in a future top class CB until the summer of 2016. Who knows what talents, opportunities etc. will emerge by then?

If we're going to wait that long, our defensive talents Rodrigo Tarin, Juanma Garcia, and Xavier Quintilla will all be 19-20 by then.

In addition, we still have Ie in the B team as cover.

That said, I'd still like us to buy one of Gimenez or Laporte.

Leo_Messi

If we're going to wait that long, our defensive talents Rodrigo Tarin, Juanma Garcia, and Xavier Quintilla will all be 19-20 by then.

In addition, we still have Ie in the B team as cover.

That said, I'd still like us to buy one of Gimenez or Laporte.

Well, knowing that we can't register any players before January 2016 I see it as very doubtful that the club will manage to buy a long-term CB before the summer of 2016. In 1.5 years time a HELL lot can change.

Unless the club is able to make a gentleman agreement with Athletic, PSG (Marquinhos) or others that say that the player will not feature for his club during the CL group stage. Besides it's really difficult to integrate on a top team in the middle of the season.

khaled_a_d

Given there is a dearth of top class CBs in the market, who are also at the right age and make for feasible transaction, I don't know which "estd CB" Khalid is referring to, and 'd rather have. Personally, see no reservations with bringing in a CB, who has the tools plus LL experience, and brings with him longevity and eco. value. He may not be finished article yet but partnered alongside a senior defender he should be fine. But alas, I see him being captured by one of ManU/RM in the summer.

I didn't refer to anyone . but with Laporte we will be paying 42M for potential
The thing with buying player with potential is that they may never reach it .there is "may be" factor here with Laporte IMO .he has the tools to be top 5CB in the world no doubt but the fee is just too much of a risk .

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
The thing with buying player with potential is that they may never reach it .there is "may be" factor here with Laporte IMO .he has the tools to be top 5CB in the world no doubt but the fee is just too much of a risk .

We can still see how he develops over this season and the first half of the next. If he stays at Athletic that is.

Leo_Messi

Strange logic. Even if the club bought a well-established name there is no guarantee of that player succeeding.

Even if Laporte would fail (which I doubt) then you could always sell him for an acceptable sum of money afterwards due to his young age. If the club for instance bought a 30 year old Thiago Silva for 40 million euros and he failed in his first season at the club you would have problems with selling him for an acceptable sum of money afterwards due to his age.

Which established central defender can the club buy for "cheap" anyway? I don't see any such defender out there.

Marquinhos is not going to come cheap, neither Varane nor Hummels. Just to mention 3 defenders.

khaled_a_d

Strange logic. Even if the club bought a well-established name there is no guarantee of that player succeeding.

Even if Laporte would fail (which I doubt) then you could always sell him for an acceptable sum of money afterwards due to his young age. If the club for instance bought a 30 year old Thiago Silva for 40 million euros and he failed in his first season at the club you would have problems with selling him for an acceptable sum of money afterwards due to his age.

Which established central defender can the club buy for "cheap" anyway? I don't see any such defender out there.

Marquinhos is not going to come cheap, neither Varane nor Hummels. Just to mention 3 defenders.

All 3 are far better than Laporte ,way better IMO
The same things you guys are saying ,I've read it years ago but with 2 different names ,Caceras and Chygrynskiy and both didn't end well
I didn't say we should buy player A or player B .god only knows who is gonna be available in 2016 .but Laporte is extremely expensive .42M in addition to taxes means that he will cost more than David Luiz becoming the world most expensive defender
If we were talking about 25-30 million I would be ok with it .

Home of Barca Fans