Aymeric Laporte

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If I had to choose, we should had paid Roma for Marquinhos.

Yes, but we did neither. Didn't get Marquinhos or Laporte when we had a chance to do so.

Instead chased Thiago Silva and Marquinhos then at PSG and eventually ended up buying Alex Song and Vermaelen. Not to forget we could have added Vergini to that list too had Tata got what he wanted :lol:

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and just get on with it, especially when there's no other viable options out there. RM did it with a certain Spanish teenager in 2005. Man Utd did it in 2002. Milan(!!!) recently paid top money for Romagnoli too.

Of course it can end up badly too like with Mangala so far(I still think he'll settle down and do decently in the end), but the likes of Marquinhos and Laporte have performed very well against top opposition to perhaps warrant that risk.

Won't get him now though, with that 50m clause. Some English Club will probably get him.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

People said the same about Marquinhos and he was neither well established or experienced when PSG moved for him. They paid for his potential + his current ability and performances back then.

He agreed to a new contract which upped his buyout from 36m to 42m in June last year.

Would Marquinhos been a starter for us in 2013? Nope. So I don't really understand where you're going here. The idea should have been to have Laporte and Mascherano rotating for the starting position with the former eventually taking over.

That way you would have had atleast three very good CB options and a blend of youth + experience.

People say all sort of things about all players ,I am not talking about what people say
You can say that your argument was said when Man City signed Mangala too .He has gr8 potential .he is good .he will prove his worthy .look at Marquinhos etc . this thing can go both ways
We had interest in Laporte and he ignored us and renewed .he signed the contract in June 6th 2014 b4 the transfer market even getting opened and he actually agreed the deal couple of weeks b4 IIRC
What I am going for is that Laporte isn't as good as Marquinhos ever was since joining Roma and he isn't worth the asking price .there is a reason PSG paid money for Marquinhos and we were ready to even pay bigger money for him but all big clubs shied from Laporte with his price tag .
I am all for buying youth .but their is a limit we should go for.
36M-50M + taxes for someone like Laporte is no go tbh .he has long way to warrant that kind of money

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
According to TZ Bayern is interested in signing Laporte. Knowing how stingy (or frugal if you prefer, Ryu and other Bayern fans here ;)), they probably won't pay his release clause which is 50m will try to negotiate down. However, since the transfer of Javi Martinez left Athletic Bilbao some sour taste in their mouth, I doubt how willing they are to negotiate with Bayern.

khaled_a_d

According to TZ Bayern is interested in signing Laporte. Knowing how stingy (or frugal if you prefer, Ryu and other Bayern fans here ;)), they probably won't pay his release clause which is 50m will try to negotiate down. However, since the transfer of Javi Martinez left Athletic Bilbao some sour taste in their mouth, I doubt how willing they are to negotiate with Bayern.

Didn't Bayern try that in Martinez deal and ended paying his release clause at the end?

Chainsaw

Killahead
Didn't Bayern try that in Martinez deal and ended paying his release clause at the end?

Martinez's release clause was 40m if I'm not wrong and he's a midfielder. Midfielders and forwards usually are more expensive than defenders. All that aside, Martinez was an established NT player at the time. Hard to compare these two cases.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Bayern was really cunning as they didn't want to pay the extra taxes associated with triggering the release clause, if I am not mistaken. Instead of dealing with Bilbao directly, they circumvented Bilbao, Bayern reps and lawyers and Javi Martinez showed up at the RFEF and handed over the check for 40m instead of wiring the money directly to Martinez's or Bilbao's account so they didn't have to pay the taxes. In the end Martinez had to sneak into Bilbao facilities to empty out his locker, I think.

They really pissed off Bilbao big time.

anguy

Bayern was really cunning as they didn't want to pay the extra taxes associated with triggering the release clause, if I am not mistaken. Instead of dealing with Bilbao directly, they circumvented Bilbao, Bayern reps and lawyers and Javi Martinez showed up at the RFEF and handed over the check for 40m instead of wiring the money directly to Martinez's or Bilbao's account so they didn't have to pay the taxes. In the end Martinez had to sneak into Bilbao facilities to empty out his locker, I think.

Source for this? If it was that easy nobody would be paying taxes when invoking release clause.

Athletic don't negotiate with ANYONE. They simply don't sell their good players, period. MOney are almost worthless for them, if they can't buy proper replacement (exclusively Basque players).

Last edited:
R

Ryu Hayabusa

Wasn't it 47M or even 42M instead of the alleged 50M? Not sure if I remember incorrectly here...

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He's gonna have a big season and make a big case for himself in the France NT. Don't know why he's still not a part of it. He's better than Mangala and Sakho.

I can see Laporte-Varane be their CB pair for a long time. One helluva central defence if both fulfill their potential.

anguy

Are United linked with him as well? I'm surprised he hasn't moved yet. Talent.

Not really surprising. Like I said Bilbao won't negotiate and paying 50mil plus taxes for central defender that is still more talent, than top player would be beyond stupid.

zanela

He's gonna have a big season and make a big case for himself in the France NT. Don't know why he's still not a part of it. He's better than Mangala and Sakho.

I can see Laporte-Varane be their CB pair for a long time. One helluva central defence if both fulfill their potential.

Spain have the Piqué-Ramos duo. If you get what I mean. ;)

Would be delighted if Barca secures him.

Home of Barca Fans