Barca draws Man City

barcanuck

No this is much different, even forgetting the fact that we are much stronger, this city team is NOWHERE near Bayern's team last season. That team had conceded less than 15 goals in all competition at this point last season. City so far has conceded close to 40, they are a shambles defensively, their attack isn't something that we haven't seen many times over the past 5 years- us, Madrid, Chelsea under Ancelotti e.t.c.

That Bayern used to give teams like 1 shot on target all game, they are a different animal all together. This City team has Toure that can't press, Silva and Navas that aren't astute defensively, and Fernandinho (who does all the dirty work by himself) as part of their 4 man midfield. Bayern last season were incredible defensively with Basitan and Martinez and they ran themselves to the ground playing us. City are the complete opposite of that.

They are not a good pressing team, they are strictly an "on the ball" team. How are they any better than the Madrid team of the last 5 years? how many trophies have Madrid won in that time? I'm not convinced by them...against the also rans of the PL, they're great. Against the very best? I'm not so sure an I expect them to get beat when we meet them.

EDIT: They beat Bayern? So did Arsenal last season, doesn't make them the best thing since sliced bread.

I agree with a lot of what you say here, this City team doesn't have the Bayern pressing BUT they still have all the similar pieces to exploit our weakness such as muscle and a pretty decent counter.

I'm really worried about our away form in big games this year as we proved toothless against Ajax, Bilbao, Atletico (twice) so it's all going to come down to us getting that away goal because City will score.

ardwickboy

City are on fire and ready to fight toe to toe with any team. You seem to underestimate our defence, but do that at your own peril........even our defenders have been scoring goals this season and also we are NOT a one man team.
We are looking forward to this game and it will tell us where we are at with the best of Europe teams.

big_man

I agree with a lot of what you say here, this City team doesn't have the Bayern pressing BUT they still have all the similar pieces to exploit our weakness such as muscle and a pretty decent counter.

I'm really worried about our away form in big games this year as we proved toothless against Ajax, Bilbao, Atletico (twice) so it's all going to come down to us getting that away goal because City will score.

Firstly, all four of those teams are incredibly hard working, organized, pressing teams, ditto Bayern last season, City are anything but that.
Secondly, and more importantly, In a 2 legged CL tie, with the scores from those 4 games:
2-1, 1-0, 1-1, 0-0.
I'd be fairly confident of our chances going through in the Nou Camp.
Infact, those scores are typical of our away form in the CL. Camp Nou is where we put teams to the sword. Even if City beat us 2-1, I'd expect us to go through at home. The thing with these kind of games is that we CANT be complacent, the talent in our team + hardwork + right tactics = very high chance of success against any team. We lacked the latter two last season.

JamDav1982

City are on fire and ready to fight toe to toe with any team. You seem to underestimate our defence, but do that at your own peril........even our defenders have been scoring goals this season and also we are NOT a one man team.
We are looking forward to this game and it will tell us where we are at with the best of Europe teams.

I don't think anyone is writing off Man City at all. It will be a tough tie for whoever goes through.

A lot of the posts on here are in response to people who are making out Man City are the stronger side and Barcelona will be lucky to get through. It is not people just trying to play down City out of arrogance.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
You seem to underestimate our defence, but do that at your own peril

Let's look at some of your fixtures this season, shall we? City 4-2 Watford, City 4-2 Cardiff, City 3-2 Swansea, City 4-2 Fulham, City 3-2 West Brom, City 4-2 Viktoria Plzen, City 5-2 CSKA Moscow, City 2-3 Aston Villa, City 2-3 Cardiff... Are a lot of these fixtures unimportant games? Are a lot of these fixtures ones you still won regardless? Yes, no one will deny that. But those are still goals you conceded against ludicrously weak teams, and we have one of the most lethal attacks in the world. You conceded to a Spurs side with 10 men, you conceded 3 to an injured Arsenal side at the Etihad, you lost to Chelsea, you conceded tons of chances against Liverpool, you lost to Bayern once and let in two goals the second time... The only times your defense has been rock solid were in the blow-outs of weak teams and the 7-0 mauling of Spurs, every other time you've shipped goals and that is not something that will go unpunished against us. Your attack is good, great, amazing, but even you have to admit there's still a lot to go in defense.

J

Jayuk

I don't think anyone is writing off Man City at all. It will be a tough tie for whoever goes through.

A lot of the posts on here are in response to people who are making out Man City are the stronger side and Barcelona will be lucky to get through. It is not people just trying to play down City out of arrogance.

I disagree, reading posts on here all i see is arrogance and since Barcelona have declined from the Barcelona of 2 years ago i don't see what there is to get arrogant about, especially after Barcelona's champions league exit last season.

All I'm going to say if people are playing down a team who are averaging 4 goals per game and a team who went to Bayerns own back yard missing certain players (including Yaya, Agureo) and easily beating Bayern and could have gone on to win more if Pellegrini tried harder in maths at school, then people here are going to be in for a shock.

This is not the same City who lost against Bayern at home earlier in the season, they was dropping points against many teams back then, now they are a different animal.

JamDav1982

I disagree, reading posts on here all i see is arrogance and since Barcelona have declined from the Barcelona of 2 years ago i don't see what there is to get arrogant about, especially after Barcelona's champions league exit last season.

All I'm going to say if people are playing down a team who are averaging 4 goals per game and a team who went to Bayerns own back yard missing certain players (including Yaya, Agureo) and easily beating Bayern and could have gone on to win more if Pellegrini tried harder in maths at school, then people here are going to be in for a shock.

This is not the same City who lost against Bayern at home earlier in the season, they was dropping points against many teams back then, now they are a different animal.

You have Man City as favourites then?

By the way Man City never 'easily beat Bayern'. Bayern were the better team in that game and took their foot off the gas after early goals.

big_man

And? We declined from arguably the best team of all time. Coming from a high plateau does NOT mean you're on equal footing, get that right.

I hope your manager and players are that naive ;)

J

Jayuk

You have Man City as favourites then?

By the way Man City never 'easily beat Bayern'. Bayern were the better team in that game and took their foot off the gas after early goals.

Bayern where not the better team at all, other than 15 min spell they were made to look very ordinary by City therefore rather than Bayern taking their foot off the gas, maybe City had their foot on the gas?

It winds me up people not giving credit where credit is due. We heard the same thing when Arsenal beat Bayern in their own back yard last season 3-1, apparently Bayern had their foot off the gas then.

When Chelsea reserves (injury’s and suspensions) beat Bayern in their own back yard in the Champions League final, apparently Bayern were the better team then - In the Super Cup, Bayern equalizing against 10 men Chelsea with the last kick of the game, Bayern were the better team again :rolleyes:

All this ‘Bayern taking their foot off the gas’ excuse doesn’t add up I’m afraid. What I see is maybe Bayern are not as good as people think and are beatable, but one thing is for sure Bayern are better than the current Barcelona team and with that why do people think this Barcelona team will easily beat City, the most inform team in Europe right now?

As said think that and you’re going to be in for a shock and I’m going to leave at that now, but I will be back when the time comes with an ‘I told you so’.

JamDav1982

Bayern where not the better team at all, other than 15 min spell they were made to look very ordinary by City therefore rather than Bayern taking their foot off the gas, maybe City had their foot on the gas?

It winds me up people not giving credit where credit is due. We heard the same thing when Arsenal beat Bayern in their own back yard last season 3-1, apparently Bayern had their foot off the gas then.

When Chelsea reserves (injury’s and suspensions) beat Bayern in their own back yard in the Champions League final, apparently Bayern were the better team then - In the Super Cup, Bayern equalizing against 10 men Chelsea with the last kick of the game, Bayern were the better team again :rolleyes:

All this ‘Bayern taking their foot off the gas’ excuse doesn’t add up I’m afraid. What I see is maybe Bayern are not as good as people think and are beatable, but one thing is for sure Bayern are better than the current Barcelona team and with that why do people think this Barcelona team will easily beat City, the most inform team in Europe right now?

As said think that and you’re going to be in for a shock and I’m going to leave at that now, but I will be back when the time comes with an ‘I told you so’.

I watched the game and Bayern were the better team - they had more of the ball, more corners, more attempts at goals etc. All signs that they were the dominant team.

This was not a game they had to win and even when 3-2 they did not look flustered or hurried to get a goal back as that result still suited them.

You are placing far too much emphasis on a game Bayern lost. Yet they did not have to win or even draw and still dominated.

Bayern were the better team against Chelsea as well. Poor example to bring up.

Again.... do you think that Man City are favourites?

Go and put money on them the odds are in your favour.

J

Jayuk

The tie is 50/50, a flip of a coin.

The tie is going to finish with ridiculous scorelines (something like 7-5 or 7-6 on agg), everyone knows that due to both teams superior attacks and both teams weak defenses and when you take all this into account, how anyone supporting Barcelona can be confident about this tie makes makes no sense.. Barcelona fans being arrogant or confident because of what they were 2 years ago is is like United fans still be arrogant and confident about this seasons team because they won the league last season.

If i was a Barcelona fan i would have a face like :tata1: more so than :party1: after watching City blowing teams away this season, all this confidence and arrogance I'm reading on here is bonkers and delusional.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

both teams weak defenses

Barcelona's defense this season is not weak. If you're basing this on the previous season, many things changed.
It's still vulnerable to set pieces, but it has improved a lot.

Home of Barca Fans