Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
I think people cooled down about Martinez because of his high buyout and because he regressed quite a bit last season (IIRC), making a lot of simple mistakes.

Tomchin

As long as Benatia hasnt signed a new contract at Roma, there still a chance of getting him this summer. He recently bought a new house in Rome, yes, but that doesnt say much. If i remember correctly Cavani also bought a house in Napoli just before moving to PSG.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Not sure i agree with this DonAK, but only to a slight degree. PSG while having tons of money, and lets be honest, they have tons, are not really that much of a club to set the world alight. If Marquinhos and any other players, had any ambition of winning trophies other than a league title, then PSG would not be that club. Fact is, the players who join them, know that if PSG wants them badly enough, then they will pay them wages to light up their eyes.

Lets look at this a bit. Marquinhos will most probably be back up to Luiz and Silva, but if he joins Barca, he would most likely be partnered alongside Pique in a starting role. If he really wants this move, then he will force the move, if not, then we know he is happy to play 2nd fiddle and pick up his wage. Its now not if PSG will sell, but how badly Marcos wants this move, and whether he will force their hand to sell him.

The problem is that PSG only have 4 CBs including Marquinhos. He will not be a guaranteed starter even here, If Bartra does better then Bartra will start, if Mathieu does better when he eventually comes then he'll start, if we go by Luis Enrique's reputation.

PSG cannot simply afford to sell him, they have the FFP sanctions hindering them to simply splash as much money they want. If they sell Marquinhos to us then they'll have to go out looking for a good CB to replace him and they're gonna get a hard time doing that unless they bring a young prospect like Umtiti from within Ligue 1, but their CB department will fall in quality then.

Many teams are struggling to find good CBs as very few teams want to sell knowing the situation and desperation of several clubs. PSG simply cannot really afford to sell him and even if Marquinhos pushes for a move then I doubt they'll listen to him.

Why not Inigo Martinez? If we are going to keep it in La Liga, I think Martinez wouldn't be a terrible choice, particularly since he is familiar with playing with Bartra.

Mathieu sounds like a done deal so I don't expect a big name CB like Benatia or Hummels anymore, they would have came first and the 20 million we spent on Mathieu would have been needed to get either of those players. Thus Martinez.

He's young, he isn't a finished product yet but I think he could grow into what we need in a year or two of Lucho and Puyol coaching him. We don't necessarily need a big name signing, we just need quality depth players so Mascherano doesn't have to play CB anymore.

I'd be happy with Mathieu and Martinez, Pique-Bartra as the starting pair with both of the other two rotating in and the occasional Edgar Ie apperance in the center and I think we'd have what we needed.

Martinez's buyout is 30m. Plus, he wasn't that good last season.

Tomchin

We have tons of money that we can't use because of the FFP.
True, PSG and City only can spend 60m euro net this summer. City have used their entire budget so far (12m fernando, 8m caballero, 40m mangala). If they sell yaya, of course there s plenty of budget again.

Bertus

The problem is that PSG only have 4 CBs including Marquinhos. He will not be a guaranteed starter even here, If Bartra does better then Bartra will start, if Mathieu does better when he eventually comes then he'll start, if we go by Luis Enrique's reputation.

PSG cannot simply afford to sell him, they have the FFP sanctions hindering them to simply splash as much money they want. If they sell Marquinhos to us then they'll have to go out looking for a good CB to replace him and they're gonna get a hard time doing that unless they bring a young prospect like Umtiti from within Ligue 1, but their CB department will fall in quality then.

Many teams are struggling to find good CBs as very few teams want to sell knowing the situation and desperation of several clubs. PSG simply cannot really afford to sell him and even if Marquinhos pushes for a move then I doubt they'll listen to him.

Also, TS is injury prone for now two seasons.

Being out for 2-4 months at least per year.

Add to that he will probably miss a part of september + all august.

And since he's injury prone, last year, Blanc said he will never make him chain so many matches in a row again.

There's chance Marcos will play half of the french league matches at this rate.

we can't recruit a random crap CB to replace Marcos in our situation.

I know some people laugh about it, but PSG plans to try hard again in CL while trying to win every national trophies.

We NEED 3 very good CBs.

And even 3 is the bar minimum for a club of our standing. The very very very minimum.

i_bleed_blaugrana

I think people cooled down about Martinez because of his high buyout and because he regressed quite a bit last season (IIRC), making a lot of simple mistakes.

He didn't have a great season but I think he has the potential to be what we are looking for, just because you have one iffy season doesn't mean you are doomed to be a flop.

Martinez's buyout is 30m. Plus, he wasn't that good last season.

Dani Alves was woeful for us this season yet PSG and Milan were at least interested in him, again a poor season doesn't define a player. He is still very young at 23 and has a lot of potential.

I just think we all, you more than others, needs to get real about who we are going to get. I'd love Hummels and Benatia but I am just highly skeptical of them leaving this mercado and if Hummels does, I think teams like Man UTD, City and Chelsea are going to be willing to outbid us. That's why I propose Inigo, he isn't perfect and isn't a finished product but he possesses traits that we lack in our backline at the moment, he is a good tackler and showcases heart and grit.

I think any chance of us signing a world-class CB ended with the Suarez transfer.

Kerrybai

Does he seriously think that 50 is too much for Benatia but that 40 isn't too much for Marquinhos? Or that 20 + tax isn't too much for Mathieu?

I think he has more knowledge than us, and why do you like Benatia so much anyway? Also maybe they enquired about benatia and were told 60 + was needed and they felt that was too much.

Mathieu is a good player too, we should get 3-4 great years out of him.

I think he has more knowledge than us, and why do you like Benatia so much anyway? Also maybe they enquired about benatia and were told 60 + was needed and they felt that was too much.

Mathieu is a good player too, we should get 3-4 great years out of him.

3-4 great years? :lol: He's 31.

Also, I want Benatia because he's the only world class CB we can realistically get. It's pretty simple really.

He didn't have a great season but I think he has the potential to be what we are looking for, just because you have one iffy season doesn't mean you are doomed to be a flop.

Dani Alves was woeful for us this season yet PSG and Milan were at least interested in him, again a poor season doesn't define a player. He is still very young at 23 and has a lot of potential.

I just think we all, you more than others, needs to get real about who we are going to get. I'd love Hummels and Benatia but I am just highly skeptical of them leaving this mercado and if Hummels does, I think teams like Man UTD, City and Chelsea are going to be willing to outbid us. That's why I propose Inigo, he isn't perfect and isn't a finished product but he possesses traits that we lack in our backline at the moment, he is a good tackler and showcases heart and grit.

I think any chance of us signing a world-class CB ended with the Suarez transfer.

I am realistic. I know we won't get Benatia. I just think we can if we wanted to. But for some reason we don't.

Last edited:

Kerrybai

3-4 great years? :lol: He's 31.

I am realistic. I know we won't get Benatia. I just think we can if we wanted to. But for some reason we don't.

Maybe Lucho doesn't want him, get over it and move on.

Mathieu is 30, so yes 3 great years potentially. Perhaps a similar lifespan to Puyol.

F

Flavia

The coach isn't always right. There's a reason coaches are fired all the time.

No one is always right. But the fact we were linked to benatia, and after roma president spoke and totti asked him to stay, made it cool off, indicates he actually might not be for sale. You should just let it go, it's annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans