Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickykid

His injury issues are a concern, but then so are Daniel Agger's. And the rumors indicate he wants to leave Arsenal because he doesn't want to be on the bench. And I don't think he'd be good enough to be a regular starter here.

Besides we've already covered the cb/lb mold by bringing Mathieu. Vermaelen seems redundant.

All this still doesn't help me understand why he's such a bad player.

Neeraj

I've seen this argument thrown about a lot, but really, a certain CB, who was 3rd choice at his former club, was sold earlier this season for 60M...

Again, I don't know squat about Vermaelen of the last season or two, so please tell me what's so bad about him.

I'm not quite sure what the Luiz signing is validating exactly? I think pretty much everyone agrees that is one of the most ridiculous transfers ever, so if you're saying 'they did it, so the precedent is there', I'm not sure what to say to that.

As for Vermaelen, I wouldn't say I watch his every game, but of the few English games that i do watch, Arsenal's tend to be the most. And over the last 2 years, I have of course, seen very little of him due to him being injured like ALL the time. And when he has played, I can tell you he hasn't looked good. He seemed off the pace and I think he was a good reader of the situations and his positioning was one of his strong points when he was doing well at Arsenal - I just don't see that anymore. Also, a close friend of mine is a die hard Arsenal supporter of many years and explained exactly what he thinks of Veramaelen, and his view (and the view of many other Arsenal supporters he says) is that if they got anywhere near 15m for him, it would be one of those take it and RUN kind of deals...

Hope its more clear why a lot of people don't want him now..

Trickykid

I'm not quite sure what the Luiz signing is validating exactly? I think pretty much everyone agrees that is one of the most ridiculous transfers ever, so if you're saying 'they did it, so the precedent is there', I'm not sure what to say to that.

As for Vermaelen, I wouldn't say I watch his every game, but of the few English games that i do watch, Arsenal's tend to be the most. And over the last 2 years, I have of course, seen very little of him due to him being injured like ALL the time. And when he has played, I can tell you he hasn't looked good. He seemed off the pace and I think he was a good reader of the situations and his positioning was one of his strong points when he was doing well at Arsenal - I just don't see that anymore. Also, a close friend of mine is a die hard Arsenal supporter of many years and explained exactly what he thinks of Veramaelen, and his view (and the view of many other Arsenal supporters he says) is that if they got anywhere near 15m for him, it would be one of those take it and RUN kind of deals...

Hope its more clear why a lot of people don't want him now..

My point about DL was that some managers like different players for various tactical purposes, meaning that the squad status of a player doesn't nessecarily translate well from one club to another.

Anyhow, yeah, more direct input on why he's so bad was exactly what I was looking for, as it's been lacking on most of the posts slamming him.

Neeraj

Both are injury prone, but Agger is still a much better player than Vermaelen.

I was just going to post this.

Currently, I think Agger is a better defender than Verm, when both are fit. More physical, great in the air, and just a better defender overall. IMO.

Trickykid

I was just going to post this.

Currently, I think Agger is a better defender than Verm, when both are fit. More physical, great in the air, and just a better defender overall. IMO.

Hey, no need to lecture me on Agger. I've recommended that transfer myself more than a few times recently.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Arsenal fans are on cloud nine after the rumours that they might get 10m pounds for Vermaelen :lol:

Trickykid

What the hell happened to him, aside from injuries, obviously? He used to be hailed as a beast early on in his Arsenal career?

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
What the hell happened to him, aside from injuries, obviously? He used to be hailed as a beast early on in his Arsenal career?

The injuries happened and then he couldn't get back into the side regularly because Koscielny-Mertesacker had established itself as a solid partnership.

Nothing much else happened.

Cule4life

The Culest
Meanwhile somewhere......

arsene-wenger-manages-a-smile-pic-getty-89992389.jpg

Neeraj

If he can stop getting injured then he'd be a great signing. But that's a big IF.

A big IF indeed, and its a dangerous signing because:

1.) I haven't followed exactly, what his injuries have been, but I know that Arsenal fans are absolutely sick of him by now, it isn't those unlucky bruises or whatever he picks up right, it's recurring injuries which you very rarely see get better over time
2.) On the few occasions he has played recently, he hasn't shown any glimpses of the form that I am guessing you are referring to when you say he'd be a great signing. Even when fit, it is very questionable if he can get back to the player he was a few years back, because he hasn't shown any glimpses of that so far..

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
I was referring to the form he had that led to him being made captain. And yes, it's very doubtful that he can recover that form.

Neeraj

Off topic: That just makes me appreciate Adriano a bit more. He's brittle as hell, and we all know how injury prone he is, but he always seem to be a consistent performer for us. He's one of my favourite players in the squad, maybe not the best defender we have, but I love how he doesn't seem to dip in quality, and steps into the team whenever we need him to cover our ass.

Trickykid

A big IF indeed, and its a dangerous signing because:

1.) I haven't followed exactly, what his injuries have been, but I know that Arsenal fans are absolutely sick of him by now, it isn't those unlucky bruises or whatever he picks up right, it's recurring injuries which you very rarely see get better over time
2.) On the few occasions he has played recently, he hasn't shown any glimpses of the form that I am guessing you are referring to when you say he'd be a great signing. Even when fit, it is very questionable if he can get back to the player he was a few years back, because he hasn't shown any glimpses of that so far..

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/thomas-vermaelen/verletzungen/spieler/15904

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans