Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jombi

130m for those two players is not unreasonable. Both of them are world-class and are also very young. They could conceivably solve our midfield issues for almost a decade. Rather than going the Spurs/Liverpool way of blowing huge amounts of money on several mediocre players, I would rather spend a shitload and have world class players in almost every position. It's better to pay 170m on Neymar and Suarez, rather than pay 100m on Alexis and let's say Cavani.

You can forget about Fabinho, if you have another RB in mind I would be happy to hear about him.

Is Gundogan any good? Is Darmian? I wouldn't know. Maybe those players should only serve as stop-gaps until we bring Pogba & Koke on board (yes, I want them both) Midfield is where most of the money should go (if not all)

Pogba would cost 100m easily. He's definitely not worth it IMO.

I think it is also worth remembering that a guy like Cavani was considered a top 5 world class striker and pretty much the hottest property on the market a couple of years ago.

Jombi

Well first of all I don't understand why there is no Rakitic in your line-up, he was brilliant this season, not very consistent but like you could see yesterday, he can succesfully control midfield and he is work rate is off the charts.

Secondly, I said realistic options this summer, because I doubt that we can buy any of these two players because of transfer ban, let alone both.

I think many here would agree that Gundogan-Busi-Rakitic would be perfect midfield from January 2016 and then in summer 2016 we can go for Koke, Pogba or maybe someone else will emerge.

Darmian is a RB and we are extensively linked with him, not seen much of him, but from I read he made a great progress in the last year and is the first choice for Italy's NT.

The main problem is that Italy's NT is rubbish and Gundogan hasn't shown anywhere near the quality needed to play for Barca since he returned from injury 6 months ago.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
We really need to get smarter in the market and better at scouting. Days of getting whoever a manager liked like in pep days are over.
Messi alone is the big incentive to join and the club has to capitalise on it better.

Notice how employing semi-retired Braida already opened many avenues in only few months time.
Why not getting more people with experience from different countries?

Jombi

I would like to see us give Sergi Roberto a more important role next season, giving him the chance to play DM not only to rest Busquets, but also when Busquets can be needed as a CM. I still think Busquets should be our main DM though, but Roberto has proven that he is a great alternative to Busquets as DM, unlike Mascherano who lack the quick mind, fluid passing and composure of Sergi Roberto. A guy like Sergi Samper can also play as CM, giving us the option to play both Busquets and Samper with Roberto behind them as an alternative to Busquets-Rakitic-Iniesta. I really think we only need one new CM. Surely, Iniesta can at least still be relied upon as a substitute for another season? The guy is only 31. I refuse to believe that he is completely finished at that age.

Leo_Messi

The main problem is that Italy's NT is rubbish and Gundogan hasn't shown anywhere near the quality needed to play for Barca since he returned from injury 6 months ago.

The Italian national football team is not rubbish at all. It's still among the very best national teams out there. A bad World Cup in the "group of death" should not hide that fact. You only have to look 3 summers back where Italy played against Spain in the UEFA Euro 2012 final. There are plenty of good players in Serie A and Darmian is one of them.

I honestly can't see a better option (realistic one) out there than Darmian. A versatile, hard-working, quick, offensive, attacking and technically good right back with experience too. The right age too.

Koke is going nowhere and Pogba is WAY too expensive and IMO not the right midfielder for our team. I don't watch German clubs outside of CL but if Gundogan is showing signs of returning to his old level then he would definitely be a better option than Pogba. Much cheaper too.

The two best options would be Koke and Verratti though but neither of them are realistic. I don't even believe that Bartofeo or a new president would be able to lure Pogba this summer considering the transfer ban.

Last edited:

Jombi

Darmian is mediocre IMO, and he is already 25 years old. I totally agree with you that Pogba is overrated and not what we need.

We should be able to attract players that can actually improve with us, we need more guys like Ter Stegen. Its good business, and especially now with the FFP rules, we need players with their best years ahead of them and not players who are just looking for a last big paycheck. As funny as it sounds, Mathieu-type of transfers are luxury transfers.

Leo_Messi

Darmian is mediocre IMO, and he is already 25 years old. I totally agree with you that Pogba is overrated and not what we need.

We should be able to attract players that can actually improve with us, we need more guys like Ter Stegen. Its good business, and especially now with the FFP rules, we need players with their best years ahead of them and not players who are just looking for a last big paycheck. As funny as it sounds, Mathieu-type of transfers are luxury transfers.

Darmian is not mediocre at all. Such a claim tells me that you have barely watched him in action.

Considering our unique situation, thanks to the moronic board, what are the alternatives exactly? Danilo is gone, Aurier is going nowhere, and Piszczek is 30 years old and won't be cheap.

I can only think of Fabinho who is limited offensively and nowhere near as good as Darmian on that front. Outside of Héctor Bellerín who is likely to sign a new contract with Arsenal soon. Other than that then you have a few promising but very young right backs in South America who could either turn into a Lord Douglas kind of player or potentially reach the level of Alves or Maicon when they were at their best.

Darmian is the best option as I see it currently given our situation.

It's not like we can buy Juanfran this summer.

Jombi

Darmian is not mediocre at all. Such a claim tells me that you have barely watched him in action.

Considering our unique situation, thanks to the moronic board, what are the alternatives exactly? Danilo is gone, Aurier is going nowhere, and Piszczek is 30 years old and won't be cheap.

I can only think of Fabinho who is limited offensively and nowhere near as good as Darmian on that front. Outside of Héctor Bellerín who is likely to sign a new contract with Arsenal soon. Other than that then you have a few promising but very young right backs in South America who could either turn into a Lord Douglas kind of player or potentially reach the level of Alves or Maicon when they were at their best.

Darmian is the best option as I see it currently given our situation.

It's not like we can buy Juanfran this summer.

I watched Darmian's games in the World Cup, and his most recent games against Roma, the two games against Zenit in the Europa league and the England friendly. Of course it isnt a large number of games, but I think I have a pretty good overview of his abilities, and he simply didnt impress me at all in any of those games, and I would never consider a guy like him at the level required to play for a club like Barca.

Douglas was a laughing stock when he played for Sao Paulo, people couldnt believe that he had managed to sign for a club like Barcelona, so obviously its not like he was a signing based upon proper scouting and research. He shouldnt be used as some type of argument for not purchasing great players from Brazil.

Regarding Aurier going nowhere, what makes you say that? Isnt both Marquinhos and van der Wiel ahead of him?

Leo_Messi

I watched Darmian's games in the World Cup, and his most recent games against Roma, the two games against Zenit in the Europa league and the England friendly. Of course it isnt a large number of games, but I think I have a pretty good overview of his abilities, and he simply didnt impress me at all in any of those games, and I would never consider a guy like him at the level required to play for a club like Barca.

Douglas was a laughing stock when he played for Sao Paulo, people couldnt believe that he had managed to sign for a club like Barcelona, so obviously its not like he was a signing based upon proper scouting and research. He shouldnt be used as some type of argument for not purchasing great players from Brazil.

Regarding Aurier going nowhere, what makes you say that? Isnt both Marquinhos and van der Wiel ahead of him?

You are very much on your own when it comes to that description unless you have unrealistic expectations.

You did not answer my question. What are the alternatives? Realistically speaking there are only the ones that I mentioned.

I know that and I already wrote this myself weeks ago in this very thread. My point was just that the board (the current one or a new one) cannot afford to gamble with right back talents from South Africa again considering the Douglas fiasco.

Because PSG are going to use their clause to buy him from Toulouse this summer. Aurier has been injured a lot this season and was also given a suspension in the CL. Otherwise he would have been preferred over van der Wiel.

If people think that we can just buy a new Alves anno 2008 then they are severely mistaken. There are maybe 2-3 of such players once every decade on the market IMO.

Jombi

You are very much on your own when it comes to that description unless you have unrealistic expectations.

You did not answer my question. What are the alternatives? Realistically speaking there are only the ones that I mentioned.

I know that and I already wrote this myself weeks ago in this very thread. My point was just that the board (the current one or a new one) cannot afford to gamble with right back talents from South Africa again considering the Douglas fiasco.

Because PSG are going to use their clause to buy him from Toulouse this summer. Aurier has been injured a lot this season and was also given a suspension in the CL. Otherwise he would have been preferred over van der Wiel.

If people think that we can just buy a new Alves anno 2008 then they are severely mistaken. There are maybe 2-3 of such players once every decade on the market IMO.

Its not our job to say who is a good RB signing. That's the job of our so-called scouts if we even have any. Douglas wasnt a talent. He was a laughing stock in Sao Paulo. That's a big difference. We sure can sign great players no matter where they come from. The incompetence of former scouts and boards should have nothing to do with it. Considering the Alex Song, Thomas Vermaelen and Alex Hleb fiascos we should also stay well clear of any more Arsenal players, according to this logic.

Marquinhos is still ahead of Aurier, and it seems to me that van der Wiel is ahead of him as well. One thing is for sure, he finds it difficult to get playing time in PSG.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

Its not our job to say who is a good RB signing. That's the job of our so-called scouts if we even have any. Douglas wasnt a talent. He was a laughing stock in Sao Paulo. That's a big difference. We sure can sign great players no matter where they come from. Considering the Alex Song and Thomas Vermaelen fiascos we should also stay well clear of any more Arsenal players, according to this logic.

Marquinhos is still ahead of Aurier, and it seems to me that van der Wiel is ahead of him as well. One thing is for sure, he finds it difficult to get playing time in PSG.

Mate, are you even reading what I am writing? I never claimed that Douglas was a "special talent" and I am well aware of the fact that he was mostly a laughing stock in Brazil. Brazilians on the internet still laugh about that transfer. I wrote this myself a few weeks ago in this very thread if I am not wrong.

Read what I am writing. I wrote that it is unlikely that the club will be willing to gamble with a talented/young right back from South America this summer considering the Douglas transfer. That's all. Nothing to do with what you are writing.

Aurier is going nowhere this summer. Mark my words.

Jombi

It remains to be seen what the future board will do, but lets hope that they realize that the reason a guy like Douglas failed is because of the incompetent board. Not because Douglas is from Brazil. If the new board cant see that, I am worried for us.

I would much rather see Montoya and Pedro/Bartra be our RB options next fall than piss away money on some mediocre gamble from Serie A like Darmian who almost always fail when they arrive in Spain.

But lets hope that we start to actually utilize scouts in the future. It should never be the fans' responsibility to know all right backs who are good enough to play for Barca.

Last edited:

i_bleed_blaugrana

It remains to be seen what the future board will do, but lets hope that they realize that the reason a guy like Douglas failed is because of the incompetent board. Not because Douglas is from Brazil. If the new board cant see that, I am worried for us.

I would much rather see Montoya and Pedro/Bartra be our RB options next fall than piss away money on some mediocre gamble from Serie A like Darmian who almost always fail when they arrive in Spain.

But lets hope that we start to actually utilize scouts in the future. It should never be the fans' responsibility to know all right backs who are good enough to play for Barca.

Zambrotta, while he didn't set the world alight, wasn't bad for us at all.

Darmian could be that same kinda player.

New topic, Dani Alves as our new AM?

Read this argument here and very thought provoking, not sure if its been posted elsewhere but I wanted to see peoples thoughts on it:

http://thinkfootball.co.uk/tactical...re-invent-dani-alves-as-a-central-midfielder/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans