Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Aye...... It's SPORT :lol: Tomorrow or infact in a few hours, they'll report that Tello is leaving, just wait and watch lol.

KhaledBarca

Sumlit's idea of Gundogan->Samper does make a lot of sense when explained, very thorough and sound logic, but I don't see it as the only possibility and it is a bit more complicated for the inclusion of both young midfielders.

As Xavi starts declining, I think we all agree that we don't necessarily have to stop playing him in the big games when he is fresh and rested. In the mean time for a majority of games, we can prioritize Cesc-Iniesta as our starting midfield for medium to low level games. Iniesta has moved deeper this season, averaging around 70 passes per game when last season I think he averaged around 50 or so. Busquets has also been a huge contributor in our passing play as a deep lying playmaker this season, as seen against various teams (most notably Athletic) he was dominating the midfield more than Xavi himself even. Both players are quite different from Xavi in their respective roles but as they take more responsibility in our buildup within their own positions, we won't sacrifice a huge amount of control during those smaller games and will remain effective, saving Xavi for more sporadic time and the biggest games.

Also the myth is that Xavi offers more defensively than Iniesta or Cesc but to be honest even though he is deeper, this season he does less defensive work due to his age and fatigue. Iniesta has around 1.7 tackles and .9 interceptions per game compared to Xavi's .8 tackles and .4 interceptions. Cesc has had .9 tackles per game and .4 interceptions, but it can also be noted that his defensive stats have decreased since he's spent so much time at false 9.

With us utilizing our own current midfielders to bear the burden of dictating the tempo without Xavi, we circumvent having to buy an outside player and can transition Samper in without obstacles or pressure. He should deservedly get some decent time next season (IMO he's intelligent and mature enough to handle it earlier than other youngsters) and slowly take on more responsibility as the years go on. Song will probably still be here next season so Samper can be the deep midfield deputy for both Xavi's mobile orchestrator position and Busquets pivot position in small games or sub appearances.

That would be perfect, I would love if Samper proves to be the one who replaces Xavi.
But, we'll be taking a big risk and in the next 3-4 seasons we might end up wasting Messi's prime. We need to have the best possible defense and midfield in the next 3-4 years, behind Messi-Ney to win the major trophies "especially UCL".

KhaledBarca

Aye...... It's SPORT :lol: Tomorrow or infact in a few hours, they'll report that Tello is leaving, just wait and watch lol.
Its better if he moves on, he shouldn't waste his career like Bojan did.
Its clear that he has no place at Barca, He is talented and can do well in a league like the EPL with more spaces for him to use his speed etc..

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Its better if he moves on, he shouldn't waste his career like Bojan did.
Its clear that he has no place at Barca, He is talented and can do well in a league like the EPL with more spaces for him to use his speed etc..

Indeed. Liverpool has been after him for some time. Would be a great team for him.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Sumlit's idea of Gundogan->Samper does make a lot of sense when explained, very thorough and sound logic, but I don't see it as the only possibility and it is a bit more complicated for the inclusion of both young midfielders.

As Xavi starts declining, I think we all agree that we don't necessarily have to stop playing him in the big games when he is fresh and rested. In the mean time for a majority of games, we can prioritize Cesc-Iniesta as our starting midfield for medium to low level games. Iniesta has moved deeper this season, averaging around 70 passes per game when last season I think he averaged around 50 or so. Busquets has also been a huge contributor in our passing play as a deep lying playmaker this season, as seen against various teams (most notably Athletic) he was dominating the midfield more than Xavi himself even. Both players are quite different from Xavi in their respective roles but as they take more responsibility in our buildup within their own positions, we won't sacrifice a huge amount of control during those smaller games and will remain effective, saving Xavi for more sporadic time and the biggest games.

Also the myth is that Xavi offers more defensively than Iniesta or Cesc but to be honest even though he is deeper, this season he does less defensive work due to his age and fatigue. Iniesta has around 1.7 tackles and .9 interceptions per game compared to Xavi's .8 tackles and .4 interceptions. Cesc has had .9 tackles per game and .4 interceptions, but it can also be noted that his defensive stats have decreased since he's spent so much time at false 9.

With us utilizing our own current midfielders to bear the burden of dictating the tempo without Xavi, we circumvent having to buy an outside player and can transition Samper in without obstacles or pressure. He should deservedly get some decent time next season (IMO he's intelligent and mature enough to handle it earlier than other youngsters) and slowly take on more responsibility as the years go on. Song will probably still be here next season so Samper can be the deep midfield deputy for both Xavi's mobile orchestrator position and Busquets pivot position in small games or sub appearances.

Yeah it's most definitely not the only option, and keeping and playing what you've got is certainly the most likely of scenarios. My only concern is the defensive contribution and work rate. Iniesta is better at pressing, but both he and Cesc offer poor defensive contribution.
If the team intends to go ahead with both of them as a permanent feature from now on, they're going to have to reinforce the backline to give some support to Busquets because he's going to be even more on an island than usually.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Yeah it's most definitely not the only option, and keeping and playing what you've got is certainly the most likely of scenarios. My only concern is the defensive contribution and work rate. Iniesta is better at pressing, but both he and Cesc offer poor defensive contribution.
If the team intends to go ahead with both of them as a permanent feature from now on, they're going to have to reinforce the backline to give some support to Busquets because he's going to be even more on an island than usually.

Well Cesc and Iniesta do a lot more than Xavi defensively (less than Gundogan would) and Tito has proven as a coach that small-medium games can be dominated even without a team that presses like dogs. Of course the team should and do press and cover a lot more than last season, but we're not at a major risk in those games with midfielders that aren't exactly defensive in nature since they don't have to put in 100% of their effort.

IMO the entire team is developing the defensive side of their game under Tata and Iniesta/Cesc will become smarter and more conservative with their defensive work as they go along, not having to work like headless chickens to be efficient. Bayern shut us down defensively last year with effective positional pressing that took minimal energy but a lot of space covering. Teams like Dortmund and Madrid under Mourinho were heavy and full sprint in their pressing which isn't always necessary. I think the team is capable of managing a conservative pressing system in most la liga and small cup games, it's not difficult to do and Tata certainly knows how to implement it with success.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Well Cesc and Iniesta do a lot more than Xavi defensively (less than Gundogan would) and Tito has proven as a coach that small-medium games can be dominated even without a team that presses like dogs. Of course the team should and do press and cover a lot more than last season, but we're not at a major risk in those games with midfielders that aren't exactly defensive in nature since they don't have to put in 100% of their effort.

IMO the entire team is developing the defensive side of their game under Tata and Iniesta/Cesc will become smarter and more conservative with their defensive work as they go along, not having to work like headless chickens to be efficient. Bayern shut us down defensively last year with effective positional pressing that took minimal energy but a lot of space covering. Teams like Dortmund and Madrid under Mourinho were heavy and full sprint in their pressing which isn't always necessary. I think the team is capable of managing a conservative pressing system in most la liga and small cup games, it's not difficult to do and Tata certainly knows how to implement it with success.

Yeah the team has been doing a better job at positional defending and smart pressing. I'm still concerned while the team has cut down opponent's scoring, they are still allowing plenty of chances when opponents just recover the ball and run with pace at our midfield.
I do agree the team is more conscious of their defensive duties now, and if they can manage to get games under control when Xavi is off the pitch, they'll cut down on those chances conceded.

I've also mentioned this before, but Tata's insistence on a more direct approach to attack has allowed the team to commit fewer players to the offense and has allow the team to maintain a more cohesive defensive shape. This has contributed in the cutting down of counter attacks and should improve as the team goes on.

I only hope that the defensive contribution from the midfield is enough to not overwhelm Busi when we face those tough and demanding opponents.

Last edited:

i_bleed_blaugrana

Good point. I've always wondered how Iniesta will play once Xavi is gone. Perhaps once he starts slowing down, he would take over Xavi's deeper role, something I think he'd be well suited for.

Is Samper really that good? I haven't seen him play but based on all the buzz he is getting on here, you'd think he's the next MF wunderkind. What's his style?

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Good point. I've always wondered how Iniesta will play once Xavi is gone. Perhaps once he starts slowing down, he would take over Xavi's deeper role, something I think he'd be well suited for.

Is Samper really that good? I haven't seen him play but based on all the buzz he is getting on here, you'd think he's the next MF wunderkind. What's his style?

His passing and vision are great and he is very intelligent positionally and in controlling the tempo. He plays kind of in between Xavi and Busquets right now but IMO he'd benefit greatly from being pushed up to a free dictating CM role instead of a pivot. His linkup and movement is extremely fluid and it's only a matter of development before he takes on a more confident role and starts spraying more incisive and direct passes in attack. I'd liken him to a tiki-taka Pirlo in style.

His weaknesses would have to be not being the fittest of players and not being an agile or swift dribbler. His turns are good, but he's no Iniesta. It'd be a dream to see him form a midfield partnership with Oliver Torres at Barca or at least with the Spanish NT.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo

Yeah he's very good. He has excellent movement with and off the ball. His first touch and turns with the ball are first rate as well. His game is similar to Busquets, but he has more mobility and is more spry, hence why his also being discussed for a more free advanced CM role.

SeloBarca

Cesc is not a CM. Hes the most attacking of all our midfielders. He cant handle Xavis playmaker position, a position Barcas playstyle need, and will always need.

zanela

IN:

-Pepe Reina, free

-Fernando Torres, 18 million, should be able to get him at a reduced price.

You might 've to reconsider the aforementioned transfers. Reina's L.pool contract expires in '16. And whilst you've made a case for the Torres signing, you've overlooked the small matter of his wages. He's on something like 16M€, and considering Iniesta, same age as the former(29), but a regular starter is earning 5, you've to wonder if the Spaniard will be willing to take more than 50% reduction on his current wage packet, to embrace a squad role at Camp Nou.

Note: cannot validate the legitimacy of the quotes figures (if someone can bring more accurate ones from a reputable source, it will be appreciated). Regardless, I reckon the disparity will still remain significant, and thus a subject of contention.

ts??ter stegen or thiago silva??Thiago silva for 10 m isnt gonna happen.

déjà vu, isn't it? The clowns at SPORT.es did similar with T.Silva -¡Fichaje Cerrado!, only it turned out bogus. I don't know why the source is still allowed here, should 've been censored and banned long time ago. They put the incompetent DM and Goal to shame. And people are naïve to continue believing them. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans