Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I think our obsession with world class players is part of the problem. We seem almost completely incapable of doing bargain deals like other big clubs do and constantly try to sign players who already play for big clubs and are thus considered "world class". Its either aging players looking for their last big contract or some superstar we are after. This seems to be the case now as well. After signing Arda, the two players we are most heavily linked with are Nolito (aging, last big contract) and Pogba (star name).

Not against bargain deals and someone like Gundogan could actually be one.

We need a player in the midfield who can fit in seamlessly right now and not a prospect.

Jombi

Not against bargain deals and someone like Gundogan could actually be one.

We need a player in the midfield who can fit in seamlessly right now and not a prospect.

We can never strike a bargain if we obsess about 1 player and no one else. That is part of our problem. It reminds me too much about our obsession about Thiago Silva and Marquinhos. In both cases we believed that those two players were the only one who could strengthen us, and we ended up with no one. Meanwhile, other clubs were adding great reinforcements to their backline from their good scout network, while we look stupid.

We wanted to sign a RB, everyone with half a brain understood that Serge Aurier would be a great addition. We end up buying Douglas, while PSG snaps up Aurier for 8m euros. I mean, it is mindboggling.

xXKonan

This summer we tried to buy a "Prospect" aka Gerson but he is joining Roma in January and Roma gave us First Option on him in 2017+ :lol:

Gundogan would be a Bargain to get as he is young and Proven and can fit this system of ours like a Glove.

I don't understand the Defensive Midfielder thing either. We were Linked to Lars Bender earlier in the Summer and he's a DM and I was like "That seems rather pointless" as we actually need a CM and not anymore attacking Mids and DMs.

Jombi

This summer we tried to buy a "Prospect" aka Gerson but he is joining Roma in January and Roma gave us First Option on him in 2017+ :lol:

Gundogan would be a Bargain to get as he is young and Proven and can fit this system of ours like a Glove.

I don't understand the Defensive Midfielder thing either. We were Linked to Lars Bender earlier in the Summer and he's a DM and I was like "That seems rather pointless" as we actually need a CM and not anymore attacking Mids and DMs.

Gerson is just a kid who hasnt shown anything on senior level, not even in Brazil.

Gundogan would definitely be very expensive, all the big clubs will be after him. He'll be 26 if we get him. Not exactly old, but not young either.

It's worth pointing out that Rakitic was an attacking midfielder, so was Yaya Toure and so was Deco. Just because they have a certain position for their former team doesnt mean they will play exactly that role for us.

i_bleed_blaugrana

I think our obsession with world class players is part of the problem. We seem almost completely incapable of doing bargain deals like other big clubs do and constantly try to sign players who already play for big clubs and are thus considered "world class". Its either aging players looking for their last big contract or some superstar we are after. This seems to be the case now as well. After signing Arda, Vermaelen, Mathieu and others, the two players we are most heavily linked with now are Nolito (aging, last big contract) and Pogba (star name). This type of transfer policy is unprecedented among big clubs.

While I wouldn't go as far as to say its unprecedented, I do agree that we have a wacky transfer policy at the moment. As you said, either a super star or an aging veteran, and if you look back at a lot of our transfers, most of them fit either of those categories. One outlier is Rakitic, I'd be happy if we made more moves like that. Cheap, talented, integrates well with plenty of his career ahead of them. Players like Halilovic, able to play a bench role initially but has the potential to be world class after a breakout year in 2-3 years. I'd say the risk is slightly lower than aging stars who might be on the doctors bench more than the actual bench (Villa).

While it is important that whomever we get be seasoned enough with consistent high quality football, I think its foolish to rule out high profile prospects. Why we don't poach from teams like Ajax, Porto, Anderlecht, Palermo etc. is beyond me, especially since clubs like Porto and Ajax at least have some similarities in how we play.

I am of the opinion that we really, honestly, unless Munir or Sandro showcase stagnation or regression, don't need another star forward. The thinning of the midfield and its inability, even with our starters, to control games is concerning for me. Even though it sucks he's injured because we really needed him with Messi gone, Iniesta was very poor against Leverkusen, turned the ball over wayy too much at important times when just a solid pass, not even a great pass, would have created a clear scoring opportunity. As much as some people hate him for leaving, the best comparison we have right now is Thiago. Case and point, Lewa's hat-trick goal against Dinamo:

[youtube]watch?v=UFrFX9vEDq4[/youtube]

I know its just an ordinary goal, but Thiago here showcases a key feature that is SORELY lacking in our midfield department at the moment and that is quick, incisive and accurate passing. He doesn't even think twice once he gets it back from Costa, he just plays the simple pass that is on. My problem right now is Iniesta can't do that right now, for some strange reason, at least consistently and he was showing signs of this sort of decline last year as well, so I'm not surprised. For all of Pogba's flash, moves and flair, I'm just not sure how he will adapt to our pass first, dribble second mentality and he won't have to deal with that anywhere else he goes, they will just let him play. His long range passing is quality and it would be nice to have him to launch counter attacks for dem boys up front.

I just think for how much Pogba would be, his playing style isn't necessarily complementary to what we need currently which is why I'd really like a Gundogan. He really has improved and solidified his strengths, his passing range is simply immaculate, he hustles, he's physical enough to occupy the false CM/wingback role and most importantly for me, he has excellent positional awareness and it is this quality that I don't really see in Pogba, and especially to fill the void that Xavi left, we need someone who can always be in the right place and Pogba's bullish runs might leave us exposed off a break if he loses it.

You all know my opinion on Oliver Torres too, but in my books, the only players we should even consider is either Gundogan, Oliver Torres or Youri Tielemans, with an honorable mention for Coutinho, whom I fancy here as the ideal Iniesta replacement. Not sure why people don't rate him here but I think he's excellent. Pogba is a fun player to watch but he needs the freedom to be able to charge freely into space to showcase his best attributes and he's not going to get that a lot here at a club like Barca in La Liga, where all the teams squeeze the space out through the center.

silvia

priorities
-CM
-LB
-backup for Center foward. L.suarez

and how to the cover rest positions has numerous options.

Xavinho

Gundogan would definitely be very expensive, all the big clubs will be after him. He'll be 26 if we get him. Not exactly old, but not young either.

I doubt Gundogan will still be available when he’s 26. I think Dortmund will sell him before then as his contract expires in 2017. If we are interested in him, and we can’t get him in January, then the latest we’ll buy him is in next summer‘s transfer window when he’ll be 25.

You all know my opinion on Oliver Torres too, but in my books, the only players we should even consider is either Gundogan, Oliver Torres or Youri Tielemans, with an honorable mention for Coutinho

Just curious what you see in Tielemans to make you rate him so far above Ruben Neves for that CM position that you wouldn't even consider Neves?

Barcafan 2304

Well I think we should at least put in a worthwhile offer for gundogan and test the water. I'd much rather we have him than pogba but we will see

xXKonan

Scouts drew up reports on several midfielders and forwards, as Barcelona want to sign 1-2 players in Jan. Final selection in Oct. [sport]

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Scouts drew up reports on several midfielders and forwards, as Barcelona want to sign 1-2 players in Jan. Final selection in Oct. [sport]

I am with Don on this, I hope we won't rush to sign some average midfielders in January just for the sake of immediate backups and end up bypassing the quality ones we should really be going for, at the expense of long term planning.

xXKonan

Barcelona scouts have been attending Valencia games for months, mainly to follow defenders Joao Cancelo (21) and Shkodran Mustafi (23). [as]

Another Right back? :confused:

We are good for awhile there what about a Left Back? :lol:

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Barcelona scouts have been attending Valencia games for months, mainly to follow defenders Joao Cancelo (21) and Shkodran Mustafi (23). [as]

Another Right back? :confused:

We are good for awhile there what about a Left Back? :lol:

Exactly. We should be going after Gaya. Come on these scouts. :facepalm:

Egert

Estonian Culé
So let's say we sign Gündogan and Mustafi. The latter couldn't play in UCL and we can only register 1 more player for Liga I think after Arda and Vidal. Would make more sense to agree a deal with Valencia in January for a summer deal and only buy Gündogan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans