Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Not sure why people still rate Hummels so highly. Ive only watched a few Dortmund games this season but he's been really nothing special the last few seasons. And he is way to slow to play our high line.

True. I wish we could have gotten Otamendi though.

Mustafi's still not a bad choice, by any means. But that buyout. :|

Chainsaw

Killahead
Wasn't Germany playing a highline defense in the recent World Cup they just won? Hummels was an integral part of that defense. You don't particularly need "fast feet" to be good in a highline defense, but fast in decision making and good athleticism which Hummels possess. People are getting quite repetitive throwing this "but he is slow" thing anytime someone suggest Hummels while Barca go paying 40m combined for the likes of Verminated and Ginger Abidal who none are exactly Speedy Gonzales. Actually there is no one except Mascherano who has a decent speed among Barca's CBs and that's not as big of a deciding factor as some guys here make it out to be.

Guaporta

It's not quite true that you need 'fast feet' to play in het highline defense, but it helps a lot. Qualities like 'reading the game' and 'fast decision making' are more important than speed in a Barcelona-defender. Mats Hummels is compensating his lack of speed with excellent decision making and could be a great defender for Barcelona. Still, I don't think he's the perfect defender for the club; there will be problems in communication because of the language barrier. Besides that, there are better alternatives. Marquinhos (PSG) and Aymeric Laporte (Athletic Club) are younger, read the game just as well and are faster than the German.

SeloBarca

I rate Hummels above those. Hummels are also a better leader in the defence, and stronger in duels and air. God knows we need height. We loose every duel at corners and freekicks and oponents use it. Your heart goes up your throat every corner becouse it will always result with a header on goal.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Hummels could have left years ago ,for whatever reason he seem very comfortable staying with BVB
Obviously if he is the market ,I would prefer negotiating BVB than Valencia or Bilbao for inferior players that probably will cost more like Mustafi & Laporte but I highly doubt this will be the case

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Seems like they might splash some money on Mustafi.

Many reports about the club following him, from usually reliable sources too. Then Robert Fernandez has been seen on Valencia games too.

Mustafi is a good player. Rather spend a lot on a good player who got 5+ years to offer than on 30 years old guys who's on a decline or very injury prone.

It's disappointing we can't find such players for cheap though. The low cost transfers we have are guys like Douglas.......

Valencia got him for 8m.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Many reports about the club following him, from usually reliable sources too. Then Robert Fernandez has been seen on Valencia games too.

Mustafi is a good player. Rather spend a lot on a good player who got 5+ years to offer than on 30 years old guys who's on a decline or very injury prone.

It's disappointing we can't find such players for cheap though. The low cost transfers we have are guys like Douglas.......

Valencia got him for 8m.

Well ,we spend money on bargain players but that is usually on B team players like D.Suarez & Halilovic

Barcafan 2304

Valencia got him for 8m.

Agree mate but think that's the nature of being us or a Real Madrid. If we come calling, clubs will want top dollar cos they expect it from us

Xavinho

Mustafi is a good player.

Yeah, but I don't know if "good" is enough to justify having to pay his €50 million buyout clause, which I guess they'll demand considering he has a contract until 2019, and given their track record of making us pay every cent for Mathieu.

Jombi

Agree mate but think that's the nature of being us or a Real Madrid. If we come calling, clubs will want top dollar cos they expect it from us

RM has a very different transfer policy than us though. They basically never buy aging 30 year olds and focus on young players. Whether it's Isco, James, Kroos, Casemiro, Danilo, Bale, Kovacic etc etc. How much did Varane cost them? 10m? Marcelo? 6m?

We can probably get both Eric Bailly from Villarreal and Samuel Umtiti from Lyon for around 20m euros each. I'd say that's better than Mustafi for 50m+20m tax.

Last edited:

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
At this point, I think it's better if we invest in one defender who is a "known quantity" rather than a potential star. We can invest in potential stars for midfield/attack. For defense, we need a world class centerback now.

xXKonan

Barça are interested in Valencia center-back Shkodran Mustafi (23). Buyout fee: 50M. Contract expires in 2019 [radio valencia]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans