Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jombi

I would rather have Joel Veltman from Ajax than Lemos, as Veltman can play both RB and CB. A 5th CB wont get enough playing time if he's not versatile.

Jombi

average at best

He's far more proven than Lemos, having performed well in both the CL, EL and for the Netherlands. Against both us and against England he performed very well. In which games do you think he was so average? The fact that he can play two positions is really useful and he should be available, unlike the bonehead ideas of Marquinhos, Silva or whatever people come up with.

Last edited:

Joe598

I would rather have Joel Veltman from Ajax than Lemos, as Veltman can play both RB and CB. A 5th CB wont get enough playing time if he's not versatile.

I like Veltman a lot more than Lemos and have suggested him in the past. However, I think that with Umtiti, he will primarily be the back up for Masch and Alba next season, with a view to him becoming a more established player in the future. With Mathieu and Masch likely to leave within 1-2 seasons, Umtiti will become the back up to a new CB to play alongside Pique, if not a 1st team starter (depending on performances). If we signed Veltman, he would be our 5th choice CB (behind Pique, Masch, Mathieu and Umtiti) and there's no way he'll sign just for that, so I'd rather see us use Umtiti and Lemos (or someone from the b team) there and give them the occasional game next season, with a view to them getting more minutes as time goes on.

Jombi

I like Veltman a lot more than Lemos and have suggested him in the past. However, I think that with Umtiti, he will primarily be the back up for Masch and Alba next season, with a view to him becoming a more established player in the future. With Mathieu and Masch likely to leave within 1-2 seasons, Umtiti will become the back up to a new CB to play alongside Pique, if not a 1st team starter (depending on performances). If we signed Veltman, he would be our 5th choice CB (behind Pique, Masch, Mathieu and Umtiti) and there's no way he'll sign just for that, so I'd rather see us use Umtiti and Lemos (or someone from the b team) there and give them the occasional game next season, with a view to them getting more minutes as time goes on.

I agree, but if we are signing a 5th CB, why would Lemos sign for us and not Veltman who is able to play both CB and RB so has more chance of actually playing?

Joe598

I agree, but if we are signing a 5th CB, why would Lemos sign for us and not Veltman who is able to play both CB and RB so has more chance of actually playing?

Because Lemos is still very young and raw, not an international starter. The thing is we will not be desperate for a starter at CB, only cover is needed.

Jombi

Because Lemos is still very young and raw, not an international starter. The thing is we will not be desperate for a starter at CB, only cover is needed.

Fair enough, but we dont really know what goes on in their heads and what type of ambition a player has. Its not like we will tell the player we sign that they will be 5th choice and 3rd choice at RB. It would surprise me if Veltman rejects us, especially now that Alves is gone and when we have several aging CBs. I think Veltman could provide good cover and be a more safe option than someone like Lemos (who I have never seen play btw).

Last edited:

Joe598

Fair enough, but we dont really know what goes on in their heads and what type of ambition a player has. Its not like we will tell the player we sign that they will be 5th choice and 3rd choice at RB. It would surprise me if Veltman rejects us, especially now that Alves is gone and when we have several aging CBs.

True, that is the other possibility that Umtiti is signed as the primary back up lb next year, who may replace Mathieu as the backup CB AND lb when he leave, and another CB eg. Veltman is signed this summer as another CB option. Tbh tho I'd rather we signed Umtiti and played him at lb and CB, because then I don't think our squad needs someone like Veltman, or maybe even Lemos until next summer, when it would be wise to sufficiently replace Masch/Mathieu with a great new CB, but only after seeing how Umitit plays this year. We can go this year with Pique, Masch, Mathieu and Umtiti as the CBs and we can use a b team player if we are desperate.

Joe598

Fair enough, but we dont really know what goes on in their heads and what type of ambition a player has. Its not like we will tell the player we sign that they will be 5th choice and 3rd choice at RB. It would surprise me if Veltman rejects us, especially now that Alves is gone and when we have several aging CBs. I think Veltman could provide good cover and be a more safe option than someone like Lemos (who I have never seen play btw).

Also if we did sign Veltman then there is no need for Lemos, or even spending BIG next summer on a different CB. So yea, Veltman could be a great option for us. How much do you think he's worth?

Jombi

True, that is the other possibility that Umtiti is signed as the primary back up lb next year, who may replace Mathieu as the backup CB AND lb when he leave, and another CB eg. Veltman is signed this summer as another CB option. Tbh tho I'd rather we signed Umtiti and played him at lb and CB, because then I don't think our squad needs someone like Veltman, or maybe even Lemos until next summer, when it would be wise to sufficiently replace Masch/Mathieu with a great new CB, but only after seeing how Umitit plays this year. We can go this year with Pique, Masch, Mathieu and Umtiti as the CBs and we can use a b team player if we are desperate.

Maybe, but when we think about it, lets say Alba is out for extended periods of times next season. We play Umtiti there, and we might have only Pique and aging Masche and Mathieu (and with age comes injuries) for many months as our only CB options. I think we're a little short in the defensive department with only Umtiti as the acquisition. We might gamble with it though, who knows.

Icarium

Lifestealer
I think signing Umtiti will be a great move. Then we can sell Adriano and Vermalen. Mathieu Masch Pique and Umtiti is a decent lineup. Only problem would be for RB. Vidal and Roberto should be decent enough but not enough quality. Sign Umtiti and Vietto/Nolito and Denis for total of 45-50M. If they want to sign pogba they have to sell Arda and not sign Denis. Still don't think we can afford pogba. I doubt we will get more than 20M for arda. Considering that we will need 100M at least to sign all our targets. Just don't see it happening.

I will be happy with signing Denis Umtiti and Nolito/Vietto/Gameiro. If possible sign another CB who can play at RB too. Not a priority but it would help.

Jombi

Also if we did sign Veltman then there is no need for Lemos, or even spending BIG next summer on a different CB. So yea, Veltman could be a great option for us. How much do you think he's worth?

Considering Ajax' financial situation, maybe 15-20m. He should certainly be available for a reasonable price although Frank De Boer want him as well apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans