Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jombi

If we are going for a midfielder, when we already have Rafa, Denis and Arda, we need to aim higher than Gomes, or just forget about signing a midfielder and focus on forward and defense.

Trickykid

He has a better passing range than both and is far ether technically than Roberto. And even in a poor season for his standards he still performed better than Denis against Madrid and Barca.

He sure does have a nasty habit of hiding that fantastic passing range of his. He completed, what, 5-10 passes or so against Croatia before he was yanked off? He had a solid game against Iceland, but aside from that, he's been the definition of mediocre this EURO.

Denis terrorized us when we played them in their den, and while Gomes had a good game when we lost at the Camp Nou, I really don't feel he stood out against either us or Los Merengues otherwise.

khaled_a_d

He is. He got injured again, a different injury, just recently, and couldn't play copa america. Still doubtful for the olympics. And I don't have high hopes for Denis. I don't think he's better than Roberto or Rafinha.

Unrelated injury to the 1st one,and IIRC it was a muscular injury.that doesn't by any mean make him an injury prone player by any mean.The word different injury alone terminate the usage of such a term.

Depth: good
Quality outside starting duo (Iniesta-Raki): poor for the highest level

Imagine CL semis, Raki is injured.
Who will play? Iniesta-Rafinha?

Or, even worse, imagine Iniesta suspended+Raki injured.
And we play against Bayern or Real with what, Rafinha-Denis duo?
Or even worse, imagine playing with Atletico with some of these combinations.

Out of top 3-4 teams, we are a team with weakest midfield quality currently.
And surely with the weakest 3rd player (1st sub in a midfield).

If one of the best players at any team is injured it is always hard to replace. Let's not fool our self here
If someone who isn't even really good as Casemiro was injured last year then RM was pretty much fucked up.Kroos as DM has always destroyed their midfield against any quality team
And yes,I have no problem in S.Roberto/Rafinha/Arda/Denis against big teams.for subs they more than solid
Injuries can fuck any team up.the "If" game can be played as you want.
Also,we aren't gonna get anyone who can really up the standards.I like Gomes but I would agree with [MENTION=19793]Jombi[/MENTION] that if we want an upgrade then we should aim higher than Gomes. And we don't have that kind of money.
So let's stop fooling ourself.we aren't gonna get the Pogba's of midfield this summer.Zero chance it happens.And we have ton of young prospect in that line along many young players (from Roberto to Alena,with the likes of Samper/Kaptoum/Halilovic/Denis/Rafnha in between) never mind a player we paid 34M for and we won't sell this summer.
Taking another year to know what we have is much smarter than paying another 40M for a player who can be just another slight upgrade over Denis Suarez.

Last edited:

SeloBarca

Cant say ive followed gomes to much, but he seems very offensive in the videos.
Do we really need another offensive midfielder?
His height also makes him look a bit slow.

serghei

[MENTION=11668]khaled_a_d[/MENTION], agree, but how sure are you that Gomes won't be a real hit, more so than any young player we have in midfield?

F

Flavia

Unrelated injury to the 1st one,and IIRC it was a muscular injury.that doesn't by any mean make him an injury prone player by any mean.The word different injury alone terminate the usage of such a term.

To be prone to injuries it doesn't need to be the same type. There's also his genes to not make me too hopeful, since he's going down this road. I do hope you're right, though. I like him a lot.

spark

He sure does have a nasty habit of hiding that fantastic passing range of his. He completed, what, 5-10 passes or so against Croatia before he was yanked off? He had a solid game against Iceland, but aside from that, he's been the definition of mediocre this EURO.

Denis terrorized us when we played them in their den, and while Gomes had a good game when we lost at the Camp Nou, I really don't feel he stood out against either us or Los Merengues otherwise.

His career isn't comprised of a handful of games at EURO 2016 though. For me the major difference between the three is that while all three are skilled at carrying the ball to varying degrees, from what I have seen he has the upper hand and at longer distance passes in both the air and along the ground which is the major difference in being a suitable Rakitic replacement. All of Arda, Denis Rafinha have the same profile but not the one we are in most need of. Personally I would sell Arda at cut price and bring Gomes for that difference alone but it wont happen.

serghei

We need another A level player in midfield. Maybe Arda will be that player next season, but maybe he won't. Anyway, I'd also be interested in a midfielder that could take minutes from Iniesta and Rakitic as a starter.

I don't know if Andre Gomes is that player though.

F

Flavia

We need another A level player in midfield. Maybe Arda will be that player next season, but maybe he won't. Anyway, I'd also be interested in a midfielder that could take minutes from Iniesta and Rakitic as a starter.

I don't know if Andre Gomes is that player though.

It seems rm interest in pogba faded. Reports flo never wanted him, and Hazard's good performance in his last match rekindled his passion for the belgian. If so, maybe it'd be ok to wait another season for a top midfielder. Be it pogba or someone else.

khaled_a_d

[MENTION=11668]khaled_a_d[/MENTION], agree, but how sure are you that Gomes won't be a real hit, more so than any young player we have in midfield?

I like Gomes a lot since last year.But I don't see him as such sure thing.Obviously no deal is sure thing but you know what I mean
I've been D.Suarez biggest doubter since he joined B team,but the guy has been proving me wrong on consistent basis.

The truth is that if Villarreal was able to sell Baily for 40M,I've no doubts in my mind that they would have sold Denis for almost same price whether it is this summer or next if it wasn't for the buyback option.I've seen ton of fans of other clubs who where interested in getting him for 25-30M b4 someone reply with the "he has a buyback and he is barca bound".

So while I rate Gomes highly,I think the grass isn't always greener on the other side.Compare him to what Denis did last year,or to what Rafinha did as 20 years old prospect who was La liga young player of the year at smaller club.consider that Gomes will come to get even way less minutes that is needed for his development.I just don't see the difference making it worth paying 40M for.

Yeah,We would all want that gr8 upgrade in midfield that will take the reigns from Iniesta.but when it come to splashing 30M+ money(the plus signal could be up to 100) then it should go for someone who can immediately make his impact and show he is the guy who is a head and shoulder level above the rest of our players

Last edited:

Trickykid

His career isn't comprised of a handful of games at EURO 2016 though. For me the major difference between the three is that while all three are skilled at carrying the ball to varying degrees, from what I have seen he has the upper hand and at longer distance passes in both the air and along the ground which is the major difference in being a suitable Rakitic replacement. All of Arda, Denis Rafinha have the same profile but not the one we are in most need of. Personally I would sell Arda at cut price and bring Gomes for that difference alone but it wont happen.

Nor it compromised of a couple of games against us and RM.

Anyhow, perhaps you're right in the assessment of him. I just haven't been very impressed with what I've seen - and certainly not enough to warrant taking a dump on our youngsters, in favor of an expensive move for him.

SeloBarca

It seems rm interest in pogba faded. Reports flo never wanted him, and Hazard's good performance in his last match rekindled his passion for the belgian. If so, maybe it'd be ok to wait another season for a top midfielder. Be it pogba or someone else.

If he wont be signed i would also rather wait. Ideally i would want him this season but it wont happen it seems.
Our midfielders gotta be quite quick, especially for the role Pogba would play in.
Are there any really good young creative CMs out there except Veratti, Gündogan and maybe Koke?
Oliver Torres? Ruben Neves? Julian Weigl ?

Last edited:

Co0ter

Oliver Torres is so overrated it's not even funny. He's shown inconsistent good performances for like half a season a while back. Half the time I watch him play he's hugging the wings, how is he even still being considered as a choice as a CM for us. He's not even better than Roberto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans