Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
I see much more logic in bringing in a CF rather than another CM. Vidal is great but paying 50 mil+ for a squad player doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Not only do I question if Vidal can play tiki-taka but you also have to keep in mind team chemistry. Who drops for Vidal in MF? Cesc? Iniesta? With their recent form, how could you? We don't need more direct players in MF, we need more direct players in attack.

Tactically speaking, Juve play a very different style than we do and I'm just curious to how Vidal would cope with the transition. Rather us spend big on our defense and an actual striker, especially with promising CMs (Rafa, Denis Suarez, Samper etc.) coming through the ranks.

We already have an abundance of MFs and a 55-65 mil move for Vidal seems like bad business to me. If you own a company that makes pb&j sandwiches and you have bunch of bread but little peanut butter or jelly, why would you invest in even more bread?

Tiki-taka isn't dead and we don't need a complete change of personnel or philosophy. I think a lot of our problems would be solved by changing our shape, not by going insane with a spending spree.

Well I don't agree with you. Yes, imo we do need a CF - we also need a CB. BUT, we definitively need a MF to take over from Xavi. The players you mention like Rafa, Denis Suarez are AM's and Samper is far from ready and never might be - actually, maybe none of them will be. We need a world class player to rotate with Xavi for next season which will probably be his last, any young talents will have to wait for their chances and play some games in the Copa. All other decent teams have decent backup for almost all positions, we can't have some young talented youngsters (who are AM's) covering such an instrumental position as Xavi's - we all saw what happened when we played Song + Busi in midfield.
I'm not saying Vidal is the solution to our problem, but we definitively need a WC CM and sell Song asap before he looses value and we start loaning him out forever until he goes for free. Vidal is a more direct player, for sure - but why not actually, maybe we can be more direct. And even if we want to continue with our die-hard tike-taka, you don't think Vidal could pick it up? And even if we want a player in the Xavi mould, where would we find him? There is no other team that plays like us and no other player that plays like Xavi. We could only find him in La Masia, and the only player that comes close is Samper - and imo he will probably not make it to the very top in Barca or any other top team (sry).
Atm we have Iniesta, Cesc and Xavi for the cm/am - but only Xavi is suitable to play CM. Iniesta would imo be wasted in CM and Cesc is not cut out to be our CM. Imo it's a bigger waste to play Iniesta on CM than spending some cash on somebody better suited. Iniesta and Cesc rotate on AM, Cesc sometimes plays false 9, Iniesta sometimes play LW and so on. Bringing in another player while Xavi is on his last season is the only solution. If it is Vidal, also think he could manage to play DM.

G

Gascav

I see much more logic in bringing in a CF rather than another CM. Vidal is great but paying 50 mil+ for a squad player doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Not only do I question if Vidal can play tiki-taka but you also have to keep in mind team chemistry. Who drops for Vidal in MF? Cesc? Iniesta? With their recent form, how could you? We don't need more direct players in MF, we need more direct players in attack.

Tactically speaking, Juve play a very different style than we do and I'm just curious to how Vidal would cope with the transition. Rather us spend big on our defense and an actual striker, especially with promising CMs (Rafa, Denis Suarez, Samper etc.) coming through the ranks.

We already have an abundance of MFs and a 55-65 mil move for Vidal seems like bad business to me. If you own a company that makes pb&j sandwiches and you have bunch of bread but little peanut butter or jelly, why would you invest in even more bread?

Tiki-taka isn't dead and we don't need a complete change of personnel or philosophy. I think a lot of our problems would be solved by changing our shape, not by going insane with a spending spree.

There is where you are wrong, the MFs we have are all CAMs and not CMs. You actually want us to be playing with attacking midfields only?

Alarcón

In the start of the season we seen some really entertaining football with counterattacks as Xavi was feeding Neymar with long passes, also long shots and even aerial balls and now it seems that he is coming back to the roots, the ball is kept low, possession is more valued than counterattacks and players are looking for Messi more often.

We were always horrible when we tried long balls. Otherwise Tata wouldn't have changed it back.

G

Gascav

Well I don't agree with you. Yes, imo we do need a CF - we also need a CB. BUT, we definitively need a MF to take over from Xavi. The players you mention like Rafa, Denis Suarez are AM's and Samper is far from ready and never might be - actually, maybe none of them will be. We need a world class player to rotate with Xavi for next season which will probably be his last, any young talents will have to wait for their chances and play some games in the Copa. All other decent teams have decent backup for almost all positions, we can't have some young talented youngsters (who are AM's) covering such an instrumental position as Xavi's - we all saw what happened when we played Song + Busi in midfield.
I'm not saying Vidal is the solution to our problem, but we definitively need a WC CM and sell Song asap before he looses value and we start loaning him out forever until he goes for free. Vidal is a more direct player, for sure - but why not actually, maybe we can be more direct. And even if we want to continue with our die-hard tike-taka, you don't think Vidal could pick it up? And even if we want a player in the Xavi mould, where would we find him? There is no other team that plays like us and no other player that plays like Xavi. We could only find him in La Masia, and the only player that comes close is Samper - and imo he will probably not make it to the very top in Barca or any other top team (sry).
Atm we have Iniesta, Cesc and Xavi for the cm/am - but only Xavi is suitable to play CM. Iniesta would imo be wasted in CM and Cesc is not cut out to be our CM. Imo it's a bigger waste to play Iniesta on CM than spending some cash on somebody better suited. Iniesta and Cesc rotate on AM, Cesc sometimes plays false 9, Iniesta sometimes play LW and so on. Bringing in another player while Xavi is on his last season is the only solution. If it is Vidal, also think he could manage to play DM.

This

We were always horrible when we tried long balls. Otherwise Tata wouldn't have changed it back.

No tall strikers thats why

i_bleed_blaugrana

Cesc is not cut out to be our CM.

I'll assume we will just have to agree to disagree but I would encourage you to go back and rewatch the City game. Cesc put in a shift defensively, showed all the qualities, both on and off the ball, to be exactly the CM we need. I really don't understand why everyone on here sleeps on him here, he is much more capable to lead the MF than a lot of people give him credit for, Tata included.

There is where you are wrong, the MFs we have are all CAMs and not CMs. You actually want us to be playing with attacking midfields only?

You are getting caught up in the term, Xavi and Iniesta by how they play are both very much what you would consider a CAM. With an attacking 4-3-3, you only need one true DM and that spot is indisputably Busi's. Both have slightly more responsibility defensively than an outright #10 but based on their position on the pitch, they are attacking midfielders. So no I'm not saying we play CAMs for all three positions but continue with the system of 2 AMs, 1 DM.

From here forward, Iniesta-Busi-Cesc should be our starting MF with Xavi being the primary rotation midfielder instead of Song. And with the young guns filling in against weaker La Liga teams and CdR (Rafa, Suarez, Roberto), I think we have enough depth already in the squad even if we don't replace Song.

The way I see it, if we get a solid CB, a fullback and a ST (assuming the Ter Stergen deal is already done), we would have a lot of our bases covered depth wise for the foreseeable future. With a proper CB to fill in for Pique and Bartra, Mascherano could be the #2 DM with Samper playing the low games. Plus if Tata absolutely has to play the double pivot in MF (something I am not a proponent of), Busi-Masch would work a lot better than Busi-Song did. In the AM category we'd have Iniesta, Cesc, Xavi, Rafa, Sergi and Suarez. 6 players for 2 spots, I think we are good.

To conclude, I'm just as convinced Cesc already does everything Vidal/Gundogan would offer this team. Either would not work here as a lone DM, they'd have to play in a more advanced role and it just doesn't make sense to bench either Iniesta or Cesc for either of those players. Unlike Messi and Xavi who look too complacent and disinterested at times, Cesc is one of the hungry ones. He must be desperate to be able to finally make a name for himself here and become the player everyone expected him to become and I think he has earned it. It's important to also make a distinction when judging Cesc as well. Cesc the MF is 100x better than Cesc the false 9, and if we let him lock down a solid starting spot, I am confident we would not disappoint.

P.S. I am not convinced a more direct, physical approach is the only answer. Rijkaard's 2006 team and Pep's 09/10 team are vastly different to the team we have now, as well as the footballing era we were playing in. We need something new, not a return to older systems.

BarçAjax8

You are getting caught up in the term, Xavi and Iniesta by how they play are both very much what you would consider a CAM. With an attacking 4-3-3, you only need one true DM and that spot is indisputably Busi's. Both have slightly more responsibility defensively than an outright #10 but based on their position on the pitch, they are attacking midfielders. So no I'm not saying we play CAMs for all three positions but continue with the system of 2 AMs, 1 DM.

From here forward, Iniesta-Busi-Cesc should be our starting MF with Xavi being the primary rotation midfielder instead of Song. And with the young guns filling in against weaker La Liga teams and CdR (Rafa, Suarez, Roberto), I think we have enough depth already in the squad even if we don't replace Song.

The way I see it, if we get a solid CB, a fullback and a ST (assuming the Ter Stergen deal is already done), we would have a lot of our bases covered depth wise for the foreseeable future. With a proper CB to fill in for Pique and Bartra, Mascherano could be the #2 DM with Samper playing the low games. Plus if Tata absolutely has to play the double pivot in MF (something I am not a proponent of), Busi-Masch would work a lot better than Busi-Song did. In the AM category we'd have Iniesta, Cesc, Xavi, Rafa, Sergi and Suarez. 6 players for 2 spots, I think we are good.

To conclude, I'm just as convinced Cesc already does everything Vidal/Gundogan would offer this team. Either would not work here as a lone DM, they'd have to play in a more advanced role and it just doesn't make sense to bench either Iniesta or Cesc for either of those players. Unlike Messi and Xavi who look too complacent and disinterested at times, Cesc is one of the hungry ones. He must be desperate to be able to finally make a name for himself here and become the player everyone expected him to become and I think he has earned it. It's important to also make a distinction when judging Cesc as well. Cesc the MF is 100x better than Cesc the false 9, and if we let him lock down a solid starting spot, I am confident we would not disappoint.

P.S. I am not convinced a more direct, physical approach is the only answer. Rijkaard's 2006 team and Pep's 09/10 team are vastly different to the team we have now, as well as the footballing era we were playing in. We need something new, not a return to older systems.

Great post! Cesc is hands down our player of the season but the doubts that remain on him is can he fill Xavi's role? You are right in that Xavi is an attacking player (even if Tata considers him a ?defensive? player) and he is to Iniesta what Abidal was to Alves. Xavi maintains a disciplined position, picking great passes that push the team forward which allows Iniesta to run freely. Can Cesc maintain the discipline needed for Iniesta to continue playing at his best? The 2 did look great together against Rayo but that's because they didn't park the bus and came to play.

We don't need an exact copy of Xavi but a player who can control the tempo, maintain possession and pick the passes... things Cesc is capable of. If he can fill that spot there's no reason to even look at Kroos, Gundogan etc. The team as a whole still needs to be balanced out (considering ter Stegen is in) with a CB, defensive R/LB and a Striker.

Neymar - - - - CF - - - -Dani Alves
- - - - - - - - - - - Messi - - - - - - -
- - - -Iniesta - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -Cesc - - - - -
- - - - - - - Busquets - - - - - - - - -
- - - - LB - - - CB - - - Pique - - - -

That is what we should look like when we attack and pin teams back

K

Klenx

Is it possible to know how much is value of the Halilović transfer to Barcelona.

In Croatia media said 10 milions of euros + 5 milions of bonuses, but I think it don't make sence.

JamDav1982

Vertonghen looking terrible for Spurs against Dnipro.

He gave away penalty in first leg, was marking guy who scored a header in tonight and looks terrible when isolated and players run at him.

The Observer

Vertonghen looking terrible for Spurs against Dnipro.

He gave away penalty in first leg, was marking guy who scored a header in tonight and looks terrible when isolated and players run at him.

Barca fans still crying after him just because de Boer offered him to us. He's nothing special. Completely average CB.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
The Vidal rumour came from SPORT. Take with a bucket of salt. Or a full truck of it lol.

They are doing a great job. Get many people up and standing hyper with these "exclusives".

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Vidal would be good I believe, as we could add steel to midfield without losing much technical ability... But the price would be out of our reach and he would come to be a starter (or main player), so either Xavi, Iniesta or Cesc would have to leave, and we know that is not happening anytime soon...

However, we do need some grit in our midfield urgently...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans