Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
David Luiz is a huge mistake, IMHO. He'll cost over 30M and he is just not a reliable CB. He'd be no better than Pique at CB and for Barcelona to have a strong CB pair, Pique needs to be the weaker of the two CB, not the strongest.

For that money Hummels, Benatia, and Subotic are better buys.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Calm down love.

I am just pointing out the price that Bilbaos stance becomes irrelevant.

Would you support paying that for him?

At the moment, paying 50m for Laporte to come in during 14/15 is not an economical nor efficient use of 50m.

The fact that the price tag isn't even there as a value but rather to discourage any transfers shows that it's too high. That's why a more spread out investment on two CB's (one young, one experienced) or thorough scouting for a less expensive option (Hummels?, Musacchio?) would be the wiser route to go. You only spend 50m on Laporte if you have that kind of money to spare or absolutely need him (for some reason).

However 50m for Laporte over 35m for Luiz anyday. Both are prices that are far too steep in comparison to the player's current ability. However with Laporte there's a much higher probability of success in the long term future, whereas Luiz is likely to be a pure waste of 35m. One is a great defender that can develop into a WC one, the other isn't even a defender in nature at all.

fcbdna

Banned
50m for a 19 yr old will destroy him the weight of expectations on his shoulders will be crushing. I don't think he has the mental strength to handle such a huge sign on fee.

JamDav1982

Luiz has put in many good defensive performances that people seem to forget.

Last summer he was probably the top defender at the confederations cup and has was very good against Bayern Munich in the CL final a few years ago.

He does try to win the ball early too much but if the team is set up in a way to cover this he can be a very good signing.

Another point is he has the technical ability to play for Barca - one of the question marks I have over Benatia. Luis also has the personality and confidence to succeed at a club the size of Barca.

In my opinion.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo

Last summer he was probably the top defender at the confederations cup and has was very good against Bayern Munich in the CL final a few years ago.

He does try to win the ball early too much but if the team is set up in a way to cover this he can be a very good signing.

Another point is he has the technical ability to play for Barca - one of the question marks I have over Benatia. Luis also has the personality and confidence to succeed at a club the size of Barca.

In my opinion.

For every one good performance Luiz has, he has 2 or 3 poor ones. He simply is not reliable or consistent enough. He had one great game vs Spain in the confederations, but Thiago Silva was the best CB for Brazil in that tournament.

The team need not get crazy over this. Heck, depending on availability, willingness of transfer by the club and the player, and contingent on the veracity or not of recent rumors, Barcelona can get Hummels and Musacchio for the price it would cost to get Luiz.

The team would be better off with that.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

In my opinion.

At Brazil he's covered and controlled by Silva and a double pivot. Even Alves didn't fuck up there. Vs Bayern in the CL final he was covered by a damn bus. Those are environments that give him the support to put in good performances (even then, those performances are rare for him)

At Barca he'll be in a high line with no organizer there to control him and no shielding from the players in front of him. That pretty much spells out crash and burn. He's as absent as Alves is in defense and looks better as a DM. Barca don't have the luxury to buy Luiz because of a bunch of "ifs and buts" when in reality the guy simply doesn't know how to defend. We need someone dependable , not crazy.

JamDav1982

For every one good performance Luiz has, he has 2 or 3 poor ones. He simply is not reliable or consistent enough. He had one great game vs Spain in the confederations, but Thiago Silva was the best CB for Brazil in that tournament.

The team need not get crazy over this. Heck, depending on availability, willingness of transfer by the club and the player, and contingent on the veracity or not of recent rumors, Barcelona can get Hummels and Musacchio for the price it would cost to get Luiz.

The team would be better off with that.

From what I remember both were good but Luiz was the better player. Anyway they both played well.

Luiz has been consistently good for Brazil and was player of the year in Portugal that is not someone who only has one good game out of four.

He looks better in techincal sides where everyone plays the ball to feet and wants it.

JamDav1982

At Brazil he's covered and controlled by Silva and a double pivot. Even Alves didn't fuck up there. Vs Bayern in the CL final he was covered by a damn bus. Those are environments that give him the support to put in good performances (even then, those performances are rare for him)

At Barca he'll be in a high line with no organizer there to control him and no shielding from the players in front of him. That pretty much spells out crash and burn. He's as absent as Alves is in defense and looks better as a DM. Barca don't have the luxury to buy Luiz because of a bunch of "ifs and buts" when in reality the guy simply doesn't know how to defend. We need someone dependable , not crazy.

There were stats - I am sure on here that at the confederations cup it was Luiz who stayed back more and did more of the traditional CB defending than Thiago Silva. May be wrong but sure I can remember that.

Jägermeister

Barcelona have decided to sell Alves, Song, Alexis and Tello this summer. Oier, Dos Santos, Afellay and Cuenca will also leave. [elesportiu]
And we will buy a RW/RM,CB and a RB to replace them then. Who will be the RB?

Why not try to get some depth in our squad instead of only buying one player, if another leaves?

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
From what I remember both were good but Luiz was the better player. Anyway they both played well.

Luiz has been consistently good for Brazil and was player of the year in Portugal that is not someone who only has one good game out of four.

He looks better in techincal sides where everyone plays the ball to feet and wants it.

Well Jam, I could be wrong, but I remember Luiz getting yellow carded within the first 15 mins of consecutive games in the Confed Cup. One of those he was subbed shortly afterwards still in the first half for Dante I think. That is the type of reckless and dumb defending he is very much capable of.

He has talent, no doubt there, however he is not a reliable and dependable player. Pique is already prone to losing concentration, does the team really need another CB to be prone to spacing out and prone to recklessness in games?

The team needs technically and fundamentally sound CB. Heck, they need two of those. They don't need a volatile and unpredictable entity like Luiz.

jamrock

how many people have actually seen doria play 10 games or so. because i've heard alot of talk about him and i suspect. not many have seen him play consistently?.
whats tim vickery's opinion on him if anyone knows?.

as it relates to luiz i would take him, but for no more than 20M. lets actually learn how to negotiate for once. use the fact that he is clearly not wanted by Chelsea to drive down the price, but then again we have a band looping so their goes our hand.

we can bring in two CB but we must sell masch. he is too good to be a rotation player in our system and we could get good money for him.

get luiz and anothe young talented defender and i am kool with that

Cule4life

The Culest
Normally for someone advocating for Luiz i would say thank God he is not in charge of transfers but for JamDav i cant even say that :pep:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans