Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulTaylor

Who would you have subbed in for Pedro and Alexis? The team is devoid of quality depth.

Maybe Montoya could have gotten more minutes here and there, but we also don't know all the details. The manager has much more information on the players, tactics and details of the team than any of us do. So he trusts Adriano a bit more than Montoya. Adriano was a quality backup all season long, hard to criticize that trust.

Montoya could have helped himself a lot more by playing better and really separating himself from Adriano, and he just did not do it. It would be a different argument if Montoya had shown some really outstanding play in the minutes given and still not been trusted more. Then you'd have a stronger point. As it was, Montoya just did not set himself apart with his play.

Could of Subbed on Tello if he hasn't been able top be trusted as a back up then he shouldn't of been at the club at the start of the season, Call up a youngster if you don't trust Tello. Adriano is terrible in my opinion A decent squad player and has a decent shot but isn't a full back and doesn't have the pace to make up for it.

L

Learo

You want more minutes, that's how you get more minutes without risking the team's result. When you have a strong team you can risk youngsters because the team can handle their mistakes. This team is nowhere near as strong as it used to. A mistake from a young player can, and has costed the team games.

Well, one of the main reasons for that is that too many players have become complacent because they know they will play all the time. It is not healthy.

fcbdna

Banned
Miguel Reina (father): "Pepe would also like to return to Barça. It's his home, where he grew up. He has what is needed to play at Barça."

Miguel Reina (father, ex-Barcelona): "I would be delighted if Pepe would return to Barça. My god... How great would that be!" [ser]

pepe.jpg

Honey I am home. . .

BBZ8800

Youngsters dont progress by playing when already up 4 or 5-0 and nobody in the team care to put in much effort. Thats not how Rijkaard and Pep developed players. They were given responsibility and playing time in minutes that mattered.

What domestic players have Rijkaard exactly developed?

99% of matches in his 2nd and 3rd (his best Seasons) he played with:
Ronaldinho - Eto'o (Larsson) - Guily (Messi)
Edmilson (Marquez/Motta)-Xavi (Van Bommel) -Deco (Iniesta)
Van Bronckhorst (Sylvinho)-Puyol-Marquez (Oleguer) - Belletti (Oleguer)
Valdes

Basically, Rijkaard only gave a chance to Messi, but he was the best young player in the world and the next big thing even then.
He developed Oleguer, but he was later sold to Ajax, because he wasn't good enough for Barca.
Also, he tried with Damia at Rb, but he ended as Sergi Roberto/Montoya.

Rijkaard didn't play any youngsters when we were winning/fighting for La Liga and when we were winning Champions league.

I checked now, youngsters in our team in 2004-2005 Season were:
-- Fernando Navarro, Joan Verdu, Damia, Rodri, Javito
-- 5 awesome La Masia prospects
-- none of them turned into a player good enough for Barca
-- not only because they haven't played, but because it turned out that they aren't good enough

In 2005-06:
-- Rodri, Pitu, Carlos Pena, Joan Verdu, Jordi Gomez, Cristian, Martos, Ludovic Sylvestre, Paco Montanes, Jesus Olmo, Andrea Orlandi, Ramon Maso
-- again, none of them turned into a playable Barca material
-- most of them today play in a weaker teams or in lower divisions around the world
-- they were all very good La Masia prospects
-- the same can easily happen with Montoya, Bartra, Adama, Delo and co

Again, except Messi. But again, it was extreme hype around Messi even from the earliest age and he was playing awesome in each 10-20 Minutes which he was given from the day 1 (again, unlike Montoya, Bartra or Roberto).

Pep played more youngsters, but again, we were "luckier" with youngsters in his era. Plus, as Sumlit explained, Pep had more chances to play them (not playing tight La Liga ending like Tata this year)

But when you take a larger sample, like 10 years, there we probably had around 100 prospects, and only a few of them turned into a Barca material.
So, it is extremely brave to expect that too many out of current "gems" will turn into something and that we should rely too much on them instead of buying already proven players (if we have the money, and we have some)

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Article in MD about Benatia being among our top targets after his name was brought up and Enrique wanted him in the meeting.

sabby

@sumlit

Are we watching two different Montoya ? Because as far as I can recall, 80% of the time he got minutes, he was better than Alves. He was good in both defense and offense - i.e. successful tracking back and tackling and proper pass/low cross instead of useless high crosses. This season was ideal to make his transition in the first smooth. Now, even after having good matches, if you are not getting minutes - you are bound to loose motivation and confidence, both very important for a defender.

Sergi Roberto on the other hand, has failed to shine in whatever minutes he got. Although, it is really really tough to prove oneself in the Barca midfield with the high benchmark setup. I hope Samper is developed well enough to be our next generation midfield great.

zanela

Media speculation is all. This Board won't stop till their dream of an all-star Nike XI isn't realised. I know Zubi is everyone's fav punching bag, but he seems to be the only one resisting this madness, hence the media campaign against him. Unsettling Messi, making personal agreements with nike players (Luiz, courtois..) behind Zubi's back, is damning evidence. Once they oust Zubi which will happen soon, expect the board to bring in players based not on sporting but mere commercial interests.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans