Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomchin

Surely the board cant be that stupid to buy Mathieu as starting Cb, he'll be backup lcb and lb, which seems fine to me.

I wonder though who'll try to sign as our starting cb if we cant get marquinhos.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Surely the board cant be that stupid to buy Mathieu as starting Cb, he'll be backup lcb and lb, which seems fine to me.

I wonder though who'll try to sign as our starting cb if we cant get marquinhos.

Marcos isn't starting CB quality either I'd rather play Bartra there as he is used to the system and is arguably better or maybe Mussachio as he'll be a hell lot cheaper and has tons of exp in the league

spark

Transfer gurus

Josep-Maria-Bartomeu-y-Andoni-_54404780193_54115221154_600_396.jpg

JamDav1982

Mathieu would be a very good signing at the right price.

He is quick, good on ball and comfortable when pulled into full back areas to cover for FB as Barca CBs often are.

serghei

Mathieu would be a very good signing at the right price.

He is quick, good on ball and comfortable when pulled into full back areas to cover for FB as Barca CBs often are.

I don't think so. If we buy just Mathieu, we'll live to regret it. He's fine against most teams, he'll struggle against Spain's and Europe's best.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Mathieu would have made sense a couple of years ago when he was younger and the team could have gotten some good years from him. He is a very solid defender.

Right now though, you are almost guaranteed to pay far more than you'll get out of him. He'll be 31 years old by the time the season is under way and the probability of a sharp decline is very much a real thing.

ebc_99

I agree that Mathieu would be a really good signing, we need solid defenders who can play the squad game and he is one of those. We still need a top class CB starter but not 2 of them, Pique, Bartra, Mathieu and Benetia would be a great collection of CBs for next season plus Masch in an emergency. Not sure how realistic Benetia is but there are other options such as Hummels.

So far we are looking good, Ter Stegen, Rakatic, Rafina and Deulofeu with the strong possibility of Bravo and Mathieu. I still think we would need 3 more, 1 CB, 1 CM and 1 forward but already we are looking stronger than last year.

JamDav1982

I don't think so. If we buy just Mathieu, we'll live to regret it. He's fine against most teams, he'll struggle against Spain's and Europe's best.

I never said just Mathieu or that he would start against all the top teams.

He was probably the best player on pitch when Valencia drew with Real Madrid towards end of season anyway.

I would 100% feel more confident with Mathieu against a top team than Batra at moment. Especially if partnered by Pique.

JamDav1982

Mathieu would have made sense a couple of years ago when he was younger and the team could have gotten some good years from him. He is a very solid defender.

Right now though, you are almost guaranteed to pay far more than you'll get out of him. He'll be 31 years old by the time the season is under way and the probability of a sharp decline is very much a real thing.

Hence why the price is important.

If they could pay below 15m euros for him and get two good seasons I would take that if he improves the squad in that time.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead

He is tall and experienced, that what matters, I remember someone here wrote that 50% of our conceded goals came from set pieces. Remember for example Benzema headers against Mascherano?

F

Flavia

I never said just Mathieu or that he would start against all the top teams.

He was probably the best player on pitch when Valencia drew with Real Madrid towards end of season anyway.

I would 100% feel more confident with Mathieu against a top team than Batra at moment. Especially if partnered by Pique.

He should had come last summer. I really don't get why they didn't get him. He would've helped a lot. A good addition, no doubt, but he can't be the only cb.

serghei

OK, if Matieu is the lesser (less expensive/valuable) of the 2 CBs we'll sign this summer, then I agree it's a good transfer.

JamDav1982

He should had come last summer. I really don't get why they didn't get him. He would've helped a lot. A good addition, no doubt, but he can't be the only cb.

Totally agree and I was one of the few that argued his case this time last year as a good cheap option.

I doubt he would be only CB but either way he improves the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans