Bayern München

DennyCrane

What do you guys think their weaknesses are?

I am with gasgas, I am nervous to think how our wing backs will do against their wingers which they could not utilize to their fullest last season.

Weaknesses ? Put pressure on them in the build-up and watch them become nervous and shaky. They're not used to this anymore, as the Juventus match impressively demonstrated.

Yannik

Weaknesses ? Put pressure on them in the build-up and watch them become nervous and shaky. They're not used to this anymore, as the Juventus match impressively demonstrated.

well yes, if you DO hit them in their own half the way Juve managed to do it the first half of the 2nd leg, then it would be dangerous for them.
But if it backfires, then you would suddenly find yourself be outnumbered at the back. It's not like you just deploy a couple of men attacking the build up play, and everything solves itself then.
Juve did also have a tactically pretty impressive bus to keep Bayern away from goal. I don't see Barca parking busses.

DennyCrane

well yes, if you DO hit them in their own half the way Juve managed to do it the first half of the 2nd leg, then it would be dangerous for them.
But if it backfires, then you would suddenly find yourself be outnumbered at the back. It's not like you just deploy a couple of men attacking the build up play, and everything solves itself then.
Juve did also have a tactically pretty impressive bus to keep Bayern away from goal. I don't see Barca parking busses.

Barca doesn't need to park a bus.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Barca doesn't need to park a bus.

I agree with Yannik here, most of the time when Bayern struggles against some Buli sides those teams park the bus and put almost everyone in their own half to outnumber Bayern, and a few actually succeeded in scoring against them when they caught Bayern off guard with their quick counters. A strategy few elite/CL level teams will use.

I don't think we will be parking a bus against them, that means Dani/Vidal and Alba might not get a lot of help defending against Robbery, Co-Co, even Lahm and Alaba who will guarantee to dash toward and dribble near the byline and cross, trying to find Lewandowski, Mueller inside the penalty box or their midfield players to take a shot. Should that happen, a lot of pressure will be put on our CB's.

My concern is how we respond to Bayern's wing play which is one of their signature plays.

DennyCrane

I agree with Yannik here, most of the time when Bayern struggles against some Buli sides those teams park the bus and put almost everyone in their own half to outnumber Bayern, and a few actually succeeded in scoring against them when they caught Bayern off guard with their quick counters. A strategy few elite/CL level teams will use.

And thankfully so. Sorry Luft, but the idea that Bayern, or Barca for that matter, struggle against parked busses is a myth. It just takes longer to score and commands a lot of patience from the players, but the game's momentum is on their side all the time and the opponent is basically on the losing track from minute one. In my book, mixing concrete and hoping for the odd counter-attack isn't a strategy either, it's more or less an expression of being scared shitless about conceding near double digits and therefore hunkering down and waiting for the storm to pass. Typical post match comments by coaches then usually go like this: "We were very solid an compact till we conceded, then the team kinda broke down in the end; we'll concentrate on next weeks match." Usually being said after a 5-0 loss. Yeah right.

Both Barca and Bayern really struggle against teams who take them head on and press press press. Of course, Barca won't and shouldn't go gung ho, three players disturbing their build-up while smartly using covering shadows is enough to throw Bayern of their usual balance (and sometimes Barca too). Case in point: Juventus. The question is: How long does it take for the players to tire ? Having said that, I don't see this team having fitness problems with Lucho as the coach.

I don't think we will be parking a bus against them, that means Dani/Vidal and Alba might not get a lot of help defending against Robbery, Co-Co, even Lahm and Alaba who will guarantee to dash toward and dribble near the byline and cross, trying to find Lewandowski, Mueller inside the penalty box or their midfield players to take a shot. Should that happen, a lot of pressure will be put on our CB's.

Turn this one around: MSN. Also, see below.

My concern is how we respond to Bayern's wing play which is one of their signature plays.

Being compact, move as a cohesive unit, keeping space scarce and building up local majorities. All of this is team effort, which has been done many times by Barca throughout the last few years.

Having said all that, don't get me wrong, in case these two meet it will be a hard fought match. I have no doubt that Barca will have the upper hand though.

Last edited:

Yannik

I've watched almost any Bayern game the past 5-6 years, if I had to single out elementary weaknesses, here would be my favourites:

Width: Bayern is using the whole pitch to combine, up and down, left to right and while they are relatively safe on the ball, they don't plan for possession losses. When they're attacking, then they are too offensive minded, sending way too many men forward followed by a high defense line. It barely matters that Boateng is pretty fast, he has to defend while running backwards, that's an adventure for any defender. And when they are in build up, then they havetheir players spread out a lot, leaving big holes open in defense. i don't know why Guardiola is still playing this system, he has players more than capable of linking up well with each other with fewer players needed for that.
However, please refrain from any sort of quick assumptions. Yes, they are vulnerable to high pressure and counters, but it's not like this is some sort of ultimate antidote. What do you think are the clubs in Bundesliga doing for years already? It's not like Bayern just played the first match of their club career vs Juventus. I'm pretty sure that a well-known Bundesliga coach is capable of keeping up mentally with a random INternet-Forum user suggesting tactics. Chances are: He has already tried that.

Crossing: When Bayern is in desperate need of a goal, and the opponent would jsut shut down and park the bus, then Bayern will most likely cross the fuck out of you. This is as much of a weakness as it is a strength actually. It's a lottery, You can't consecutively defend it, because you won't be able to shut down their crosses. All you can do is basically clear it out again. And that mostly works, but not everytime. Bayern needs just 1 player to finally hit it with his head, and there's fire. They will either score on you, or concede on the counter. I could imagine this to be unpleasant for Barca though, because they would want to outplay Bayern completely and stay in full control of whats happening. But crosses are unpredictable and it's an aspect in the game where Neymar, Messi, Iniesta etc are of little help.

Defending a lead: I think this is a struggle everyone can relate to. If you're 2-0 up and you're opponent scores the 1-2, then the equalizer just isn't far away. Nervousity is bitch.

barcafan161

I do think though that Bayern would much rather face us in the final than two legs where the better team normally wins over two legs.

serghei

Most of the times when a team that parked the bus won, it was through dumb luck, and the other team just losing their heads in clear scoring situations. Except for Chelsea 2009 which was probably one of the best defensive performances ever vs Barca, we could have beaten any parked bus if we had scored our clear chances.

We have the advantage over Bayern because we have the better players. They usually get away with any mistakes they make, because the teams they face allow them to. When they met a team like Juve, let alone Barca, they were punished for their errors. We have several ways to hit Bayern, and we can do it from a positional, as well as from a counter. Hell, we can ever hit them from set pieces -- the way Messi's been hitting them is golden lately.

Last edited:

serghei

Both were right calls. First tackle from Martinez is outside the box, but he then makes a 2nd tackle that's right on the line imo. Cakir had a very good game. Bayern's penalty was also legit, although you could give a pen. every 5 corner kicks with the rulebook in your hand, as there's always somebody that holds somebody in the box at this kind of plays. Gimenez was unlucky the ref saw it, but he is to blame because he pulled Martinez after he clearly lost the duel, not while dueling.

Last edited:

ejuventus

Cryyyy me a river, Cry me a riiiiiiiiiiveeeeer :lol:

And the goal is onside.

Both were right calls. First tackle from Martinez is outside the box, but he then makes a 2nd tackle that's right on the line imo. Cakir had a very good game. Bayern's penalty was also legit, although you could give a pen. every 5 corner kicks with the rulebook in your hand, as there's always somebody that holds somebody in the box at this kind of plays. Gimenez was unlucky the ref saw it, but he is to blame because he pulled Martinez after he clearly lost the duel, not while dueling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMGXXk_HH2E

and that is only a small part of the favours the Bayern got in 2 games against us .... f.i. it's not included the Morata's goal wrongly disallowed

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMGXXk_HH2E

and that is only a small part of the favours the Bayern got in 2 games against us .... f.i. it's not included the Morata's goal wrongly disallowed

Exactly. And if I am not mistaken, it was KHR himself who allegedly said a club of Juventus' status should not be so salty, they should just accept the outcome and congratulate the winners and be an example for smaller clubs, something to this effect, in the face of Marotta's complaining.

He apparently can take what he himself shells out.

Home of Barca Fans