Brazil

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
lol, sorry thats not even a comparable. Not giving dunga all the credit for 94 but there is no doubt he was a significant part of there success. What has fred done in international level to be put next to dunga? nothing, zip 0.

I am not saying that Dunga is bad, I am only saying that Dunga is so hyped among the Brazilian public because he was a part of a WC winning team. What have he done in his career other than that? Nada.

Had Fred been a part of that team then he would have been hailed as a hero as well. There is no doubt that Dunga was actually a part of the lineup and the defensive solidity in the team, but he was far from being an integral part of your success. He is a hero because he won a WC. Fred would have been a hero had he won a WC. That's the thinking behind everything.

Heavy

As a player Dunga had a huge work rate which isn't just training and being disciplined although he trained a lot and was disciplined, he was technically limited but was aware of it and played according instead of running amok like most of Brazil defenders did this world cup.

C

cbfpaulinho4

I am not saying that Dunga is bad, I am only saying that Dunga is so hyped among the Brazilian public because he was a part of a WC winning team. What have he done in his career other than that? Nada.

Had Fred been a part of that team then he would have been hailed as a hero as well. There is no doubt that Dunga was actually a part of the lineup and the defensive solidity in the team, but he was far from being an integral part of your success. He is a hero because he won a WC. Fred would have been a hero had he won a WC. That's the thinking behind everything.

to me he is a legend and not because he won a world cup, but because of the impact he had on the team mentally and defensively. Alot of people like to use the coulda shoulda woulda theory but i like to stick to the facts. To even mention fred next to a legend is mindboggling but ok...

F

Flavia

to me he is a legend and not because he won a world cup, but because of the impact he had on the team mentally and defensively. Alot of people like to use the coulda shoulda woulda theory but i like to stick to the facts. To even mention fred next to a legend is mindboggling but ok...

That's the kind of exaggeration time does to things. He used to scream a lot, but he was no Puyol. If you ever watched the wc 94, you should watch it again. Calling Dunga a Brazil NT legend is cringeworthy.

C

cbfpaulinho4

That's the kind of exaggeration time does to things. He used to scream a lot, but he was no Puyol. If you ever watched the wc 94, you should watch it again. Calling Dunga a Brazil NT legend is cringeworthy.

:wave: Your judgement is skewed due to your hate for dunga so not sure if your serious.

F

Flavia

:wave: Your judgement is skewed due to your hate for dunga so not sure if your serious.
Nope. I dislike Pele more than Dunga, but there's no denying Pele is a brazil nt legend. Saying Dunga is one too, you're vulgarizing the term a lot ;)
A LOT.

Dunga is no legend. You wouldn't know who he is if he never became coach. Somehow I don't think you've watched the 1994 wc, btw. From that team, only Romario has legendary status.

C

cbfpaulinho4

Nope. I dislike Pele more than Dunga, but there's no denying Pele is a brazil nt legend. Saying Dunga is one too, you're vulgarizing the term a lot ;)
A LOT.

Dunga is no legend. You wouldn't know who he is if he never became coach. Somehow I don't think you've watched the 1994 wc, btw. From that team, only Romario has legendary status.

:lol: good one, but yes i did watch the 94 wc and it was my 1st ever WC i watched in brazil. I am sure i would know who dunga is if not for his coaching career as he was 1 of my favorite players on that 94 team apart from romario. I am glad you atleast acknowledge that romario is a brazil legend, may be the 1st time we ever agreed on something :p

F

Flavia

:lol: good one, but yes i did watch the 94 wc and it was my 1st ever WC i watched in brazil. I am sure i would know who dunga is if not for his coaching career as he was 1 of my favorite players on that 94 team apart from romario. I am glad you atleast acknowledge that romario is a brazil legend, may be the 1st time we ever agreed on something :p
Well, you didn't even know what cbf is, and that wc was 20 years ago. If you watched back then, you're older than you sound, or you were very little to remember it properly. I watched it more recently, and also saw the final again this year, as there was a rerun of some finals on espn brasil. If dunga is one of your favorites players, it's clear you have a strong bias, then.

It's wrong to place dunga with the likes of Pele, Romario, Ronaldo, Garrincha and others. Those are legends. Dunga does not belong in the same pantheon as them.

CuleLife4Life

Dunga may not be an absolute legend but he will be remembered as one of 5 men to lift the trophy up for Brazil and one of a few men to win the World Cup wearing our shirt. I get why Dunga and the rest of the 94 crew(besides Romario) don't necessarily get as much attention and love as other teams because of the way they played but they still came home with the medal.

I still get so angry thinking about the disaster that was our semifinal match that anyone, including Dunga, is welcomed for me.

I would much rather the CBF have a German style revolution starting from the youth but we all know that won't happen.

Last edited:

Heavy

Mine also :D

F

Flavia

Dunga may not be an absolute legend but he will be remembered as one of 5 men to lift the trophy up for Brazil and one of a few men to win the World Cup wearing our shirt.
That's different. I don't consider any of the 5 captains a legend, btw. Not even Cafu. Not all players that win a wc become legends.

CuleLife4Life

That's different. I don't consider any of the 5 captains a legend, btw. Not even Cafu. Not all players that win a wc become legends.

I guess thats where individual opinion comes in. I agree not every single member of the 5 teams who've won the WC are legends. But a lot including Cafu are legendary to me even if they aren't on the Pele or Ronaldo status of Brazilian legends.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

U guess thats where individual opinion comes in. I agree not every single member of the 5 teams who've won the WC are legends. But a lot including Cafu are legendary to me even if they aren't on the Pele or Ronaldo status of Brazilian legends.
Cafu was a great player, and very important for the nt. But to be a legend, one really needs to be the best of the best, or the word loses it's meaning. You agree he doesn't have the same status as a pele or ronaldo, and that's what I was talking about.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Cafu was a great player, and very important for the nt. But to be a legend, one really needs to be the best of the best, or the word loses it's meaning. You agree he doesn't have the same status as a pele or ronaldo, and that's what I was talking about.

Wouldn't Cafu be considered a legendary defender though?

CuleLife4Life

Again I guess thats where our definition are legends and legendary differ. Its not like we're going around calling every Kleberson or Roque Jr (2 members of the 2002 team) legendary but I would consider names such as Cafu, RC, Rivaldo legendary figures in Brazilian football and football in general.

Home of Barca Fans