Brazil

F

Flavia

Wouldn't Cafu be considered a legendary defender though?

Again I guess thats where our definition are legends and legendary differ. Its not like we're going around calling every Kleberson or Roque Jr (2 members of the 2002 team) legendary but I would consider names such as Cafu, RC, Rivaldo legendary figures in Brazilian football and football in general.
For football in general, yes. To try to make myself more clear, Messi is probably the best player that ever lived, but I don't think he has reached the legend status for argentina yet. But he is Barça's biggest legend.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Couldn't care less about the Dunga-debate but my input on the classification of who identifies as a 'legend' is that it's largely down to perception. You could be a very great player but the general populus recognizes someone as a legend based on their persona and individual 'feats' more than anything.

For example, Maradona isn't hailed as a deity-like figure in Argentina just because he was the captain of their World Cup winning side and performed well. It's because he had that Napoleon-esque character about him with the chest puffed out and the wild personality. He was the figure that 'took the team by the scruff of the neck and carried them to the victory'. Flawed and controversial, but a hero in their eyes. His most memorable moments like the Hand of God and the Goal of the Century are things that will be remembered forever in football history. It builds a classic 'story'. Messi on the other hand, as good as he's done, hasn't pulled off those immense feats or acts of bravado that win a nation over the way Maradona has.

Same principle applies to a guy like Zidane. Watching matches of him, his overall contribution on a match is brutally overstated and he characteristically goes invisible. Yet he popped up with a lot of clutch moments on the biggest stages, some in spectacular fashion, and now he's seen as a legend despite his flaws and shortfalls. He had his 'famous moment' as well with the headbutt in 2006.

Legends have to be players that aren't just 'good' or 'important'. They are unique from everybody else, achieve/do things that others couldn't reach for, and make a mark in a way that appeals to the romanticism in human psychology.

C

cbfpaulinho4

Couldn't care less about the Dunga-debate but my input on the classification of who identifies as a 'legend' is that it's largely down to perception. You could be a very great player but the general populus recognizes someone as a legend based on their persona and individual 'feats' more than anything.

For example, Maradona isn't hailed as a deity-like figure in Argentina just because he was the captain of their World Cup winning side and performed well. It's because he had that Napoleon-esque character about him with the chest puffed out and the wild personality. He was the figure that 'took the team by the scruff of the neck and carried them to the victory'. Flawed and controversial, but a hero in their eyes. His most memorable moments like the Hand of God and the Goal of the Century are things that will be remembered forever in football history. It builds a classic 'story'. Messi on the other hand, as good as he's done, hasn't pulled off those immense feats or acts of bravado that win a nation over the way Maradona has.

Same principle applies to a guy like Zidane. Watching matches of him, his overall contribution on a match is brutally overstated and he characteristically goes invisible. Yet he popped up with a lot of clutch moments on the biggest stages, some in spectacular fashion, and now he's seen as a legend despite his flaws and shortfalls. He had his 'famous moment' as well with the headbutt in 2006.

Legends have to be players that aren't just 'good' or 'important'. They are unique from everybody else, achieve/do things that others couldn't reach for, and make a mark in a way that appeals to the romanticism in human psychology.

well said, good post.

F

Flavia

I agree, and that's pretty much why Dunga is no legend. There's also the collective perception of the status of a player, and he is not hailed as one here in brazil either.

F

Flavia

His 1st called up is good, but he called Hulk. Funny how he said "david luiz" he called him da-vee-deede :lol:

That's his list:
Jefferson, Rafael, David Luiz, Marquinhos, Gil, Miranda, Maicon, Filipe Luiz, Alecsandro, Danilo, Luis Gustavo, Elias, Fernandinho, Ramires, Everton Ribeiro, Oscar, Hulk, Ricardo Goulart, Willian, Neymar, Philippe Coutinho e Diego Tardelli

Maicon still there too, but at least he called Danilo. Everton Ribeiro and Ricardo Goulart are 2 of the best players in the brasileiro.

I wish he had called allan kardec instead of diego tardelli. No real cf in that squad, seems he'll go with false 9.

sing321

Dunga loves Maicon, he thought Maicon should have replace Thiago Silva as captain. Diego Costa plays for Spain~ did you not watch the 2014 World Cup

F

Flavia

That's a good squad selected by Dunga. Atleast it's a decent start from him.

My worry is maicon is looking likely to be the captain, meaning he'll play a lot. And he's past it.

On a side note, Dunga settled in court with a bus driver he threatened and humiliated. The bus driver chose the settlement to be a donation to a charity, as he only wanted to be respected. news in portuguese, if anyone wants to see. For anyone wondering why I dislike him, it's for stuff like this, that he is notorious for.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Man, Roberto Firmino deserves a start at the False 9 role...Dunga needs to watch him closely

Last edited:

CuleLife4Life

Ok Dunga is starting to get on my bad side with this squad selection.

The fact that Hulk STILL gets called up is disgusting. David Luiz, imo, should have sat out for a couple of months for that horror defending the last 2 games. Instead he gets rewarded by getting called up. Press in Bra were saying Cruzeiro's Dede, who has been awesome was going to get called. He should have over Luiz and Marquinhos.

Maicon will be the new captain. Mark my words. Dunga has a weird love for him.

Ramieres and Fernandinho are excess surplus. Don't get why Dunga didn't drop them and get new blood.

Willian, Oscar, Luiz Gustavo, and Neymar were really the only ones who were expected to still be apart of the team and I'm content with that.

Last edited:

Bertus

His 1st called up is good, but he called Hulk. Funny how he said "david luiz" he called him da-vee-deede :lol:

That's his list:
Jefferson, Rafael, David Luiz, Marquinhos, Gil, Miranda, Maicon, Filipe Luiz, Alecsandro, Danilo, Luis Gustavo, Elias, Fernandinho, Ramires, Everton Ribeiro, Oscar, Hulk, Ricardo Goulart, Willian, Neymar, Philippe Coutinho e Diego Tardelli

Maicon still there too, but at least he called Danilo. Everton Ribeiro and Ricardo Goulart are 2 of the best players in the brasileiro.

I wish he had called allan kardec instead of diego tardelli. No real cf in that squad, seems he'll go with false 9.

I don't understand why they continue to ignore Lucas Moura.

So far he did very, very good in pre-season and during the first official games of the new season. Besides one mistake when he should have passed the ball to Zlatan, he did great.

Yet they ignore him as always.

Good that Marquinhos is in tho. He's getting better and better after each game and will play for at least 1 month and a half in all competitions since TS is kaputt.

F

Flavia

I don't understand why they continue to ignore Lucas Moura.

So far he did very, very good in pre-season and during the first official games of the new season. Besides one mistake when he should have passed the ball to Zlatan, he did great.

Yet they ignore him as always.

Good that Marquinhos is in tho. He's getting better and better after each game and will play for at least 1 month and a half in all competitions since TS is kaputt.

Ignoring Lucas and calling hulk...

Ok Dunga is starting to get on my bad side with this squad selection.

The fact that Hulk STILL gets called up is disgusting. David Luiz, imo, should have sat out for a couple of months for that horror defending the last 2 games. Instead he gets rewarded by getting called up. Press in Bra were saying Cruzeiro's Dede, who has been awesome was going to get called. He should have over Luiz and Marquinhos.

Maicon will be the new captain. Mark my words. Dunga has a weird love for him.

Ramieres and Fernandinho are excess surplus. Don't get why Dunga didn't drop them and get new blood.

Willian, Oscar, Luiz Gustavo, and Neymar were really the only ones who were expected to still be apart of the team and I'm content with that.

I was expecting a worse selection, tbh. At least he called Coutinho, Danilo, Miranda, F.Luis. And I also think maicon wil be captain :(

Home of Barca Fans