Cesc Fàbregas

Dan1983

Prediction champion 2012-2013
Nope. Cesc is a central midfielder first and foremost. With Arsenal that was his bread and butter, laying deep in midfield and splitting the area when with precise passes. He was able to attack, but that isn't what he was known for. What people don't understand that is he is a humble and mild-mannered guy, and to boldly step into Xavi's zone is something he never did out of respect for Xavi's throne. When Xavi hangs up his boots and gives up the majority of his minutes, Cesc will step up and dominate the central midfield like he did at Arsenal. His personality won't allow him to control things with Xavi still doing it. Just you watch though, his quality will come pouring out like rivers once Xavi decides to relax. Another thing, his lack of identity at Barcelona can best be explained with what I have written above.
That's a good analysis and I really couldn't agree any less. Maybe I just see Cesc for what I saw of him of the last two seasons he was at Arsenal, where he was in an advanced role, and forgot that he actually played deeper in his early years there. I am one of the guys on here who is hoping his true quality will come out soon for us too.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I think Pepe is overreaching, big time, tbh...Cesc can't pressure or hold onto the ball like Xavi can nevermind move from offensive spaces to defensive ones like the maestro...It's simply no longer Fabregas' game...I contend he's the least technical of our midfielders, on top of everything else...I wager in rondo, Thiago, for example, is far superior...When the spaces get tight, Cesc has lost that edge he perhaps once had when he was still at the club as a youth player...The Premiership changed that part of his game

The vision and passing are still there along with his linkup with Leo but we've suffered anytime he's been in midfield without Iniesta or Xavi...I think it's wishful thinking that it's out of respect for the current mids that he hasn't asserted himself more in this team...I imagine he's been trying everything within his power to assimilate the best he can, particularly because he's not gotten the minutes he thought he would or the criticism from the media

And I don't buy for a second that he's as humble as you say, his game and on pitch demeanor reflects someone who thinks he's better than he is...that he deserves the calls he doesn't get and why we see him complaining as much as we do to referees (Another Premiership affliction he picked up, IMO).

He will be passed by Thiago in no time and even Roberto, for me, understands how to play in midfield better than Fabregas - even if Sergio doesn't have the overall skills Cesc does

By comparison, if he went back to the Premiership, say to United, he'd be a star and would elevate them to another level...He's never going to do that for us

ryaninho

More nonsense about cesc i see. This is the only barac forum where cesc gets so much bad crit. Some warranted and some not so. The thing is cesc at the start of the season had 1 position that he played regularly so he performed like a top player will. It was the same thing last season. Second half of the season cesc did not have a nailed down position. He played flase 9, winger and cm evry single position in the top half of the pitch. Some tell me how can you perform at any level not having a good run of games in any one position? And this whoe thiago is better than cesc i ask all you thiago fan boys to prove it like you can prove messi is a better goal score and xavi is a better passer. If you cant dont mention it on this thread it's just annoying and border line ridiculous. I'm a thiago fan and have been for awhile he reminds me of Ronaldinho which means he a potenial to be better than cesc, but potential is not certain

Irish_Cules

I think Pepe is overreaching, big time, tbh...Cesc can't pressure or hold onto the ball like Xavi can nevermind move from offensive spaces to defensive ones like the maestro...It's simply no longer Fabregas' game...I contend he's the least technical of our midfielders, on top of everything else...I wager in rondo, Thiago, for example, is far superior...When the spaces get tight, Cesc has lost that edge he perhaps once had when he was still at the club as a youth player...The Premiership changed that part of his game

The vision and passing are still there along with his linkup with Leo but we've suffered anytime he's been in midfield without Iniesta or Xavi...I think it's wishful thinking that it's out of respect for the current mids that he hasn't asserted himself more in this team...I imagine he's been trying everything within his power to assimilate the best he can, particularly because he's not gotten the minutes he thought he would or the criticism from the media

And I don't buy for a second that he's as humble as you say, his game and on pitch demeanor reflects someone who thinks he's better than he is...that he deserves the calls he doesn't get and why we see him complaining as much as we do to referees (Another Premiership affliction he picked up, IMO).

He will be passed by Thiago in no time and even Roberto, for me, understands how to play in midfield better than Fabregas - even if Sergio doesn't have the overall skills Cesc does

By comparison, if he went back to the Premiership, say to United, he'd be a star and would elevate them to another level...He's never going to do that for us

I agree about the tight spaces. When Cesc was at Arsenal and his fans were saying he was better than Xavi I always thought the one thing he had to improve on was turning away from players when under pressure. It was noticeable at Arsenal but much more so at Barca. I'd still say give him more time and a more regular place in midfield but if we're in the same situation at the end of next season then we should seriously consider his future.

klc123

It really pains me to see such negative opinions on cesc.

Cesc has not had a great year, but neither has the entire team, and that is 100% down to management. He is not an attacking midfielder, although he has adapted to that role due to been played out of position.

At arsenal, he was the exact same role as Xavi is for Barcelona, he will take over Xavi when he decides to hang his boots up.

And whoever said that he is our least technical midfielder, no offence but how much do you actually watch barca? Besides Xavi, Iniesta and busquets, he is our most technical and talented midfielder, it is not his fault he is misused. Put Iniesta out of position on the wing and he plays poor. Putxavi in a position where he is supposed to fulfil messi's role, and the results would be embarrassing.

http://youtu.be/6sRebqUOWY8

I'm not sure how to embed videos, but that YouTube video shows how much of a great player he really is.

Zebulun

cesc is nowhere to be xavis successor, he looks lost on the field, no dynamic, no esprit, nothing, just his name on the back, which implies hes a good player

They said the same about Xavi, after seeing pep guardiola play, xavi even admitted that he almost left us because of this criticism!

abual3bed1

They said the same about Xavi, after seeing pep guardiola play, xavi even admitted that he almost left us because of this criticism!

Xavi at 26 was a maestro already with Deco playing more advanced role in midfield. Cesc isn't Xavi's successor, he plays differently which is suited for other roles than being a Xavi.

Irish_Cules

It really pains me to see such negative opinions on cesc.

Cesc has not had a great year, but neither has the entire team, and that is 100% down to management. He is not an attacking midfielder, although he has adapted to that role due to been played out of position.

At arsenal, he was the exact same role as Xavi is for Barcelona, he will take over Xavi when he decides to hang his boots up.

And whoever said that he is our least technical midfielder, no offence but how much do you actually watch barca? Besides Xavi, Iniesta and busquets, he is our most technical and talented midfielder, it is not his fault he is misused. Put Iniesta out of position on the wing and he plays poor. Putxavi in a position where he is supposed to fulfil messi's role, and the results would be embarrassing.

http://youtu.be/6sRebqUOWY8

I'm not sure how to embed videos, but that YouTube video shows how much of a great player he really is.

You mean besides our entire starting midfield? :lol: That only leaves Song and Thiago. He has better technique than Song but not Thiago, not a chance. That's not saying Thiago is a better player than Cesc, just that his touch, control and technique in tight situations and running with the ball are all better than Cesc's. The thing that makes Cesc great is his final pass and his goal scoring which shows in his goal and assist stats. When he's on form he is superb but when he's off form he looks so out of place. And lets not pretend that he is being played out of position constantly. He has played his fair share of games in midfield in the 2nd half of the season. Next season, I want to see Cesc played in midfield with people up front making runs for him to find. In fairness to him, this year he has been dealing with an out of form Pedro and Alexis doing little in the way of runs behind the back four.

abual3bed1

2006 - 2008 a lot of people were on Xavi's back.

He was injured for the 1st half of 2006 and after the world cup with Van Bommel leaving, his role started to be seen more with Deco and Ronaldinho starting to decline. Of course his high point was in 2008, but you can't say he wasn't an important part before that.

jamrock

Except iniesta has won it all internationally on the wings and had the most assist playing their this season

Cesc is not a cm and will never be, he is a am and their is no room for that type of player in our system

Andrew M

He was injured for the 1st half of 2006 and after the world cup with Van Bommel leaving, his role started to be seen more with Deco and Ronaldinho starting to decline. Of course his high point was in 2008, but you can't say he wasn't an important part before that.

He didn't play CL final in 06, like you say, due to convalescence. But in 06-08 I guess no-one impressed in particular

I remember during those two final Rijkaard season people were saying the Xavi and Iniesta were incompatible :lol:

abual3bed1

He didn't play CL final in 06, like you say, due to convalescence. But in 06-08 I guess no-one impressed in particular

I remember during those two final Rijkaard season people were saying the Xavi and Iniesta were incompatible :lol:

That's because Rijkaard tried to start Xavi Iniesta Deco in the midfield trio. He did it in the 2006 Bernabeu calssico where Madrid won 2-0.

dmode

I think people tend to underestimate Cesc and what he can do. The thing he has done, year in year out, competition after competition, is produce results. He has consistently been the top assist provider / goal scorer at Arsenal and Spain. Even in two seasons at Barcelona, I believe he is in the top 2 or 3 assist providers / goal scorers. Even during his supposed "out of form" phase, he produced hattricks, key assists (PSG game), game winners etc. I remember last year I was thinking how he would do in the Euros as his form was dipping towards the end of season. Then he comes back with a strong performance at the Euros. I don't worry about his future or his form etc. etc. He will figure it out, as he has always done.

Home of Barca Fans