Cesc Fàbregas

Butaan4barca

its not your idea, i explained this idea a year ago, you probably are just trying to explain that wrongly. The idea of false midfielder is the one cesc already plays in(false is a way that as the false 9 drops back, false mid goes upfront in no 9 position, so that the defenders don't follow the 9, allowing him freedom).

THe role you explained is just perfectly what exactly no 4 does.

i_bleed_blaugrana

I dunno man. Sounds like over complicating. I doubt it'd be practical on the pitch

Not really, as long as Song falls back whenever Cesc pushes forward, we would still keep our shape pretty well. The remaining midfielder could just take the Iniesta role as the most forward midfielder. Its the Cesc-Song partnership that is the key, when one pushes forward the other has to stay back and take the pivot role. Maybe even Busi could do it although I think Song would be better suited for this role. Again, Cesc will be the deepest player starting the play off and he should have plenty of room to distribute short or long. Defensively, him and Song would fall back and that way Iniesta/Thiago can focus more on pressuring the play to one side while Song and Cesc fall back and cover the gaps.

its not your idea, i explained this idea a year ago, you probably are just trying to explain that wrongly. The idea of false midfielder is the one cesc already plays in(false is a way that as the false 9 drops back, false mid goes upfront in no 9 position, so that the defenders don't follow the 9, allowing him freedom).

THe role you explained is just perfectly what exactly no 4 does.

Okay so maybe the term "false 4" wasn't the best term, I just put it that way bc I always thought a traditional number 4 shielded the back four much like Busi does now since he doesn't join the attack that much. The idea is, with teams pushing back to defend against Messi, he should have a lot of space to run into since he is starting from so deep which will allow him more time to build up momentum for him to make his offensive runs or make a pass.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Oh right I get it. You just made it sound really complex lol. It's similar to 2006 cl winning midfield. Deco is thiago, song is van Bommel and cesc is edmilson

i_bleed_blaugrana

Yeah, that's a very good comparison. Except I think Cesc and Thiago would be even better than Deco and Edmilson. van Bommel and Song is a wash in my opinion. Iniesta could also really enjoy this setup as well as his only defensive responsibility would be pressuring and he wouldn't need to defend as much.

ryaninho

I think someone never watch cesc at arsenal. His deffensive work was bad. I said this before at the start of cesc arsenal career he was a deep playmaker, because there were better AM than him. When Rosicky got injured wenger pushed cesc forward and never looked back

BarcaJack

It's odd but I still have faith in Cesc. He may never live up to his full potential but can still be a success. Someday Barca fans will enjoy his game as much as they once did with Xavi and Iniesta.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Sadly, I very much doubt that. He just don't fit in our team. He didn't even play well the times he played in midfield.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
I have to say I see him succeeding less and less, although I just love for him to be a great success. But with Thiago taking the spot of Xavi and Iniesta being the midfield maestro, he will be still playing second fiddle.

barca7788

Nepali Cule
he and alexis will be very very crucial for us soon. but xavi needs to be benched really. i dont want man utd with scholes n giggs situation in BARCA

Birdy

Comments coming from people who lack sense of Barca..
The XI proposed is naive at least to say.. A barca without Xavi-Iniesta-Sergio? Ok.. sure..
Plus, that Cesc cannot defend even in his faintest dreams and fantasies.. Idk if he is a deep-lying playmaker, but you forgot that barca doesnt play this deep-lying thing with balls over the top.. This can happen,but sparsely.. Usually barca needs to open up a compact mass defense..
Cesc is a disaster, in every central position in our system. He is not agile, has only vertical movement, cannot dribble, cannot hold the ball for long time, cannot dictate the tempo anyhow..
It is not that Xavi likes slow tempo (what a silly comment), it is the style of barca for many years.. Tiki-taka is quick in passes, slow in the process of moving forward.. At least get some tapes and watch barca 08-2012.. Dont write whatever pops first into your head..

Bojan is right. The guy does not fit. Its pretty obvious.. He can only fit upfront as an exra man, nexti to messi. He cannot play alone upfront as we have seen. He need a magestrous messi next to him to perform.. And all these versus minor opponents as you lose one player from another area in the field..
I would say sell this summer or giv him an ultimate last, last chance and sell summer 2014..
Bad signing from the beggining. We should never sihn again someone that is home boy and wants just to return home. Tactics-wise it wa obvious from the beggining that he is useless in our classic 4-3-3 and that the whole team needs to reshuffle to fit him.. No, Thanks!!

i_bleed_blaugrana

Comments coming from people who lack sense of Barca..
The XI proposed is naive at least to say.. A barca without Xavi-Iniesta-Sergio? Ok.. sure..
Plus, that Cesc cannot defend even in his faintest dreams and fantasies.. Idk if he is a deep-lying playmaker, but you forgot that barca doesnt play this deep-lying thing with balls over the top.. This can happen,but sparsely.. Usually barca needs to open up a compact mass defense..
Cesc is a disaster, in every central position in our system. He is not agile, has only vertical movement, cannot dribble, cannot hold the ball for long time, cannot dictate the tempo anyhow..
It is not that Xavi likes slow tempo (what a silly comment), it is the style of barca for many years.. Tiki-taka is quick in passes, slow in the process of moving forward.. At least get some tapes and watch barca 08-2012.. Dont write whatever pops first into your head..

Bojan is right. The guy does not fit. Its pretty obvious.. He can only fit upfront as an exra man, nexti to messi. He cannot play alone upfront as we have seen. He need a magestrous messi next to him to perform.. And all these versus minor opponents as you lose one player from another area in the field..
I would say sell this summer or giv him an ultimate last, last chance and sell summer 2014..
Bad signing from the beggining. We should never sihn again someone that is home boy and wants just to return home. Tactics-wise it wa obvious from the beggining that he is useless in our classic 4-3-3 and that the whole team needs to reshuffle to fit him.. No, Thanks!!

If you go back and read my original post, I stated pretty clearly that something like this should only be used if Xavi is injured or needs a rest. Xavi-Busi-Iniesta is still our best midfield, I won't disagree with that. My whole thing is every since Cesc has gotten here, he has been forced to mimic other roles instead of the team making a specific role for him. Xavi's tempo has been slowing down bc he is tired and needs more rest. Our passing tempo was much quicker the first season with Pep bc Xavi was fresher and younger. But Pep knew when to leave bc the year after he left was when Xavi was noticeable slowing down bc he had been playing all year for at least three years in a row. Our passing tempo overall began to slow down a bit once Xavi started slowing down but it was masked by Messi being the god that he is.

Cesc just needs a role that is his and this would be a system that would give him just that. The team I posted could probably beat most teams in La Liga which is where we should try something like this out bc there is very little risk. We just shouldn't dump him immediately bc there are better players atm than him, if we did things like that we never would have Xavi in the first place.

This guy can be and should be a crucial part of our team. Thiago alone won't do it, we need two midfielders to have the same sort of connection that Xavi and Iniesta have. This is something that can help him find himself in this team bc the guy is world class. We just need to be patient.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans