Cesc Fàbregas

BerkeleyBernie

I do not understand why some of you hate him. He can be the key of our play and he makes excellent passes! IMO it depens on where he plays. I admit that he is worthless in the offense but in the midfield on Xavi's position, he can be a weapon..he is a weapon.

I don't think anyone feels Cesc isn't quality, or doesn't have some great moments (as in the video). It's about his fit with Barça style and teammates the 98% of the time he isn't making the highlight reel. He doesn't click as well, seems to think slower, goes direct when he should play safe, plays safe when he should go direct, gives up the ball more often, and his first touch lets him down more than the other midfielders. Like English Standard vs Metric: can kinda fit, not not exactly.

89Norcal

I don't think anyone feels Cesc isn't quality, or doesn't have some great moments (as in the video). It's about his fit with Barça style and teammates the 98% of the time he isn't making the highlight reel. He doesn't click as well, seems to think slower, goes direct when he should play safe, plays safe when he should go direct, gives up the ball more often, and his first touch lets him down more than the other midfielders. Like English Standard vs Metric: can kinda fit, not not exactly.

That's the issue with taking him out of Arsenal and trying to press him into the Barca mold again. But I was very impressed with Cesc in his debut season while many were slating him. I think he's had a tougher time this season for sure even if his assist #s are up. But I love the extra attacking ability he gives to us, and his quality on the ball in advanced positions.

Stric

Great video. Some of those passes are really insane. When he's on top of his game, he's hands-down the best final pass provider there is. Some quality finishes in that video, as well. He looks like a completely different player from the one we've been seeing lately. Let's hope he can keep that form up for the entire season next year.

Doobs

The Messiah
Messi's in a league of his own. In terms of pure midfielders (although Cesc isn't always one) I agree with Stric.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Firstly, I wanna say I don't like comparisons of 'when at the top of his game' because that period is different for each player. It's more so a disadvantage for Cesc because he's so inconsistent.

But if we're comparing players at their peaks, there's Messi, Ozil and Iniesta - three quite obvious choices. Ozil this season has been as inconsistent as Cesc though. Di Maria when on top of his game is only matched by Messi when it comes to final passes. Again, he's as bad as Cesc in terms of consistency.

For players outside of La Liga, I've to think a bit more.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
But if we're comparing players at their peaks, there's Messi, Ozil and Iniesta - three quite obvious choices. Ozil this season has been as inconsistent as Cesc though. Di Maria when on top of his game is only matched by Messi when it comes to final passes. Again, he's as bad as Cesc in terms of consistency.

As much as I love Ozil, he's not the assist machine nor does he have the X-Ray vision that Cesc does. I agree with Stric. Best form-final ball, Cesc is an absolute monster.

Stric

Firstly, I wanna say I don't like comparisons of 'when at the top of his game' because that period is different for each player. It's more so a disadvantage for Cesc because he's so inconsistent.

For players outside of La Liga, I've to think a bit more.

You do make a good point about consistency, I admit. It's difficult to make comparisons in such conditions. But anyway...

Iniesta is up there as well, and he's been incredibly consistent this season, too. I have to say, though, if Fabregas could maintain that kind of consistency throughout the season, I'd think he'd notably out-assist Iniesta. Iniesta is an overall better player, IMHO the best player in the world after Messi, but I think Fabregas (again, when he's on form) is the better assist provider. There's just something about his final passes that stands out. Some other users have described this well in the last few posts, commenting on the video. Fabregas is probably also a somewhat better scorer than Iniesta, as well. Again, a lot of this sounds stupid when you think about what a bad second half of the season Fabregas has had, but I pointed out a few times that this is regarding his on-form state.

Mata is da bomb, too.

footyfan

Calma, calma
As much as I love Ozil, he's not the assist machine nor does he have the X-Ray vision that Cesc does. I agree with Stric. Best form-final ball, Cesc is an absolute monster.

C'mon Ozil is an assist machine. I think KhaledBarca has the stats to back me up, he posted a picture a few months ago. He's higher than Fabregas over the past 3 years IIRC. He's also higher in each individidual season as well.

I will have to disagree with you in terms of the vision. I think Ozil's thinking and execution exceeds that of Fabregas.

@Stric:

Yeah I agree Cesc would out-assist Iniesta but it's because it's Iniesta's natural game to play slightly deeper or on the wing. His game is about advancing the play forward whereas Cesc's game is to provide the final pass. When he does choose to release passes though, they're outstanding.

Xavi 2-3 years ago used to give the most ridiculous assists, I've never seen a more awesome through passer of the ball.

To Fabregas' great credit, I really am struggling to think of other players with consistent, great quality final passes. Or maybe it's just me being tired after a long week

Stric

@Stric:

Yeah I agree Cesc would out-assist Iniesta but it's because it's Iniesta's natural game to play slightly deeper or on the wing. His game is about advancing the play forward whereas Cesc's game is to provide the final pass. When he does choose to release passes though, they're outstanding.

Xavi 2-3 years ago used to give the most ridiculous assists, I've never seen a more awesome through passer of the ball.

To Fabregas' great credit, I really am struggling to think of other players with consistent, great quality final passes. Or maybe it's just me being tired after a long week

:beer2:

True.

To be honest, Xavi's through balls have disappeared for the most part because he rarely has anyone to pass them to. Messi plays deeper than ever nowadays, and our wide forwards rarely make runs into the middle.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Don't get me wrong, I love Ozil and think he's an amazing player, but Cesc just edges him out for me for his sheer, lethal vision and practically flawless execution when he's on form.

Home of Barca Fans