11 Villa
11 Alexis
7 Xavi
5 Tello
5 Pedro
5 Iniesta
3 Thiago

oz187

The advantage of playing Messi up front is that the negative effects of his low work rate are reduced. Not only will any pressing be more effective, but having 5 players in midfield all making good off the ball movements will enable the tiki-taka to be more fluid and effective.

I

instinct

Yeah, Messi in the front

Neymar and Alexis behind him on the wings

Behind them Iniesta and Cesc in the centre

And Busquets as a DM

:worthy:

oz187

I would say there's no real winger. I would say it's Busi as the DM, and then four players out of Xavi, Iniesta, Neymar, Cesc, Alexis and Pedro playing with a lot of freedom ahead of him, with Messi ahead of that. Then Alba and Alves can occasionally take advantage of the wings, but they maybe remain a bit more cautious, more relying on the element of surprise.

footyfan

Calma, calma
The advantage of playing Messi up front is that the negative effects of his low work rate are reduced. Not only will any pressing be more effective, but having 5 players in midfield all making good off the ball movements will enable the tiki-taka to be more fluid and effective.

Messi is the best ball winner in the squad. The key is not to reduce his work rate further by isolating him but asking him to be more involved in defensive and pressing duties. Something which Pep did but Tito hasn't.

I would wager though that he will be rested more/asked to stay up front more than ever next season due to the upcoming World Cup.

B

beautifulgame

Messi is the best ball winner in the squad. The key is not to reduce his work rate further by isolating him but asking him to be more involved in defensive and pressing duties. Something which Pep did but Tito hasn't.

I would wager though that he will be rested more/asked to stay up front more than ever next season due to the upcoming World Cup.

Yes and no. No because Messi stopped being responsible in Pep's last season. Both with the ball and defending. But he is an excellent defender when he does. Neymar is also very good at that.

oz187

Last season under Pep Messi was the same as this season, rationing his off the ball movements.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Only towards the latter stages of the season after playing a huge number of games non stop

And I highly doubt '"he" did it himself, probably was asked to do it.

Vapor

Awesome game with Spain by Fab all around. Excellent assist and he was just very sharp overall. Whether it's just freshness or something else, whatever he's been doing he needs to keep it up, he looked great out there.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans