Cesc Fàbregas

Stric

Iniesta is more suitable to do Xavi's job than Cesc.

I've been saying this for a long time. If both of them are on the pitch at the same time, Cesc should be playing further forward and Iniesta doing the closest he can to Xavi's role. Del Bosque does this in the NT, if Xavi is subbed off, Iniesta takes his position as the orchestrator. Granted, they usually play with a double pivot behind, but my point remains.

Vapor

I remember in an interview a while back when they were interviewing Cesc about his 2nd half season run of bad form, he would talk about how he was trying too hard to play like and "become" Xavi or Iniesta, and he wasn't being true to himself. Basically, saying that subconsciously he didn't think his own way was good enough and that he tried to play exactly like Iniesta or exactly like Xavi in order to succeed in Barca midfield. He was probably overthinking things like a motha, not playing easily and naturally and instinctively/in-the-moment.

Now it seems like he has finally gotten over that. I'm sure he has learned TONS from the legendary duo over the last 2 seasons, but it seems like now he has gained trust and confidence in his own unique abilities and styles and strenghs/weakness and is just playing naturally like plain old Cesc. And since he's been playing like that he has been playing infinitely better, more naturally, more confidently and more fluidly and it is really paying off. His talents and gifts lie primarily in attacking and directly creating... he is now learning to blend those innate talents with the know-how of maintaining possession and operating in Barcelona's midfield.

As long as he keeps this up I predict he will just keep going up and up, getting better and better. That self-doubt had to have been a huge hurdle for him to overcome.. it is for anyone. Nothing will limit you potential more than doubting and not believing in yourself. I think that is the same problem both he and Alexis had last year. And for some reason it seems like they have both worked that shit out. They are looking great. I'm looking forward to more great things from Cesc, he really is and always has been an awesome player.

And I do agree that Iniesta is a better replacement for Xavi's position that Cesc, Iniesta can keep possession and dictate tempo tremendously, and that would free up Fabregas to play further up the pitch closer to the goal and do that magical creating we all know he can do.

Last edited:

Vapor

His finishing ability and the amount of goals he gets particularly stands out to me... that is definitely something Cesc contributes more than Xavi and Iniesta.

Last edited:

Paganinisrvnge

I don't think anyone in the world is as good as Cesc at doing those delightful little chipped through balls. I hope he really racks up the assists this season.

zealot

he is good at those but come on god

He does have a point you know. While Xavi and Iniesta are the best in the world at keeping the ball or passing it from deep, Cesc is nearly the complete package when attacking opponents' pen box. His final passes and chipped through balls are wonderful, and his late runs into the box are usually very useful. A pity coz we haven't used his strength more the pass 2 seasons. But everything seems good under Tata.

Armando929

Cesc is just in an unbelievable moment of form now. Great pass to Alexis that unfortunately was not finished but nonetheless Cesc has been great.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
He started slow, but then unleashed his talent when Atlético got tired... Very good performance and very solid start of the season for him...

Home of Barca Fans