Cesc Fàbregas

dmode

Against Madrid we need somebody who can control the tempo of the midfield and Cesc is not that type of player,his game is more about playing throughballs in the final third and making runs whereas we needed somebody who could make short quick passes and make it into a 'Barcelona-style' game and thus our midfield would be able to push more further along the pitch and impose the game in Madrid's half, it was incredible how at times Barca were playing counter-attacking football instead of a more controlled possession style game . Cesc is capable of making atleast 2 or 3 great passes in a game but he's also capable of losing the ball and making mistakes which makes him risky. Yes, he will create a few great opportunities but he will also waste a few as well and the margin of error against a great side like Madrid is very small.

Great post. I think it is a risk reward thing. Cesc will inevitably produce goal scoring opportunities, like he did today with that unbelievable pass to Pedro. He will also always be in position to score as he is constantly looking at running angles. However, that comes at a risk of lower possession and more direct approach. Sometimes coaches will choose to go with that, sometimes not. Had Pedro scored that chance, we would all be hailing how Cesc was awesome in this game, with one goal and one assist

Stric

'Playing Messi on the wing to accomodate Cesc' :lol: I don;t think so. It's ridiculous that on one hand you talk about the importance of scoring and on the other hand you want to sideline our best scorer on the wings.....

I mean, I realize the strides that Cesc has made this season but let's be realistic here......

It's not sidelining Messi. If anything, it's pushing him closer towards the goal, which is something that's arguably been missing this season. And he did play on the right wing once or twice lately and proved to be even deadlier coming in from the flank. Besides, the entire thing is not about accommodating Cesc, it's about strengthening our attack?!

Last edited:

hellsangel1

It's no coincidence that the season Fabregas is blossoming into great form we are breaking all records. He has been VITAL all season and was important here too even though he had somewhat of an off game.

This is not the first time he;s had an off game in a Clasico and most of the time when we play against Madrid, it\s usually a title decider so we need to be careful about who plays and where, when you constantly dissapointing or largely ineffective against your toughest opposition than the questions raised are legitimate.

Look I don't mind him starting against the other oppositon but we have another Mascherano syndrome here where because of performances against largely inferior opposition who usually play much deeper, people think that a certain player should be an automatic starter against an elite team like Madrid (who are excellent at denying time and space).

Last edited:

ryaninho

The thing is cesc is always going to get hate here, because some fans don't like change. The reason barca did not win much is because they got found out. Tiki-taka is lovely, but you need someone to be direct sometimes and that where cesc comes in. He has been the CM with the most assist in all leagues for a while. He brings a different dynamic to the team than xavi or inesta, he is a midfielder who can double up as an attacker this can give you veriation in a game. Whan xavi retiers (not for a long time hopefully) barcas play is going to be different are you guys going to cry then. Embrace change and move on. Football has changed we are at the top with cesc playing only losing 1 game.

Stric

Cesc should never start again a classico. Tonight's one proved it again..
Again and again.. He is below par. We need a flexible triangle in the center, able to distort their pressing..

He proved that by scoring Barca's only goal and arguably being our best attacking player, with most chances, several shots at goal, best positioning, great passing, incredible effort, fantastic off-the-ball runs? Sure.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Fabregas is doing fine but the only problem is that if we play him, we are more vulnerable to counterattacks because of the more direct approach. He's more useful against Madrid when they are tired and we are playing confidently in both attack and defense.

Ursegor

World Champion
The solution would be extremely easy tbf.

Villa Cesc Messi
Iniesta Xavi
Busquets​

Cesc will constantly press their centrebacks and not jog around and "conserve energy" like Messi and clog the middle. We will have our best 2 finishers on the left and right who will be constantly fed with Cesc's throughballs and over the top balls which will push Madrid back and disrupt their high pressing out of fear that Messi or Villa might exploit the space at the back. Iniesta will stay in central midfield where he belongs.

This would be the best possible "big game" lineup. Messi in the middle is not cutting it anymore against Madrid. His last few goals were freekicks, penalties and a massive Pepe fuckup. Why do the same thing over and over again if it clearly isn't working?

Vapor

For some reason, Cesc's efforts are incredibly overlooked by some people here.

Cesc is sloppy, but he is incredibly involed in terms of attack. His off the ball movement must be the most overlooked part of his playing. Does anyone else notice how he makes him self available for a pass all of the time, and always puts him self in a great attacking position? (3-4 clear examples of that tonight, although the end product wasn't as good, unfortunately)
This is SOOO true. I thought I was the only one who noticed. He's ALWAYS in a perfect position for a pass and putting himself in GREAT positions. He is such a valuable asset to our attack.. very dynamic.

I feel one of the main problems today is Cesc had no one to PASS to. Messi was completely shut down, Pedro isn't as much goalscoring as he is possession-minded, Iniesta was playing midfielder. What Cesc needs is a striker like Villa, who is ALSO always putting himself in perfect attacking situations and looking to run nearly-offside for a throughball. Cesc could hit Villa on the through balls and chips all day. Pedro and Sanchez simply do not make those attacking runs and put themselves in as dangerous positions as Villa does, period.

That's why I think we would be optimally served with Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets dominating the triangle play/tiki-taka in the midfield, and have Villa, Cesc, and Messi absolutely creating HAVOC with their creative deadly instincts for attacking and scoring. In my opinion, given all the players are on their games it would be unstoppable.

Plus, with Messi on the "right" and Cesc as false 9, it's not like Messi would never play centrally throughout the game. Cesc would be dropping back in midfield looking to hit Villa and Messi with assist all game. And Messi would rotate places with Fabregas looking to hit him and Villa with the interplay and through balls up front. So it's not like Messi would be changing his game or sacrificing anything at all.If anything it'll give him a lot more freedom and space.

Last edited:

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101

Villa Cesc Messi
Iniesta Xavi
Busquets​

Cesc will constantly press their centrebacks and not jog around and "conserve energy" like Messi and clog the middle. We will have our best 2 finishers on the left and right who will be constantly fed with Cesc's throughballs and over the top balls which will push Madrid back and disrupt their high pressing out of fear that Messi or Villa might exploit the space at the back. Iniesta will stay in central midfield where he belongs.

I kind of agree, but we'd need both Messi and Villa in 100% shape, otherwise they wouldn't be able to handle the high pressing needed for those positions

Birdy

How old are you to judge a game by looking only at the scorer?
Jesus..
Wake up.. Many people had posted it in great arguments..
Cesc cannot stand in Barca's md.. I dont know in other games versus minor opponents e.t.c.
But in classicos, finals and big games in CL and elsewhere, tito should drop him as fast as possible..

N

Noldorin

It's not sidelining Messi. If anything, it's pushing him closer towards the goal, which is something that's arguably been missing this season. And he did play on the right wing once or twice and proved to be even deadlier coming in from the flank. Besides, the entire thing is not about accommodating Cesc, it's about strengthening our attack?!

Hey, Fabregas plays pretty darn well as a false 9. Then we have the option of Villa as a true 9 too. Putting Messi on the right-wing like he was before, with Pedro on the left and Iniesta in midfield could work very nicely. I for one would like to see it tried!!

Stric

Villa Cesc Messi
Iniesta Xavi
Busquets​

This would be the best possible "big game" lineup. Messi in the middle is not cutting it anymore against Madrid. His last few goals were freekicks, penalties and a massive Pepe fuckup. Why do the same thing over and over again if it clearly isn't working?

joker-clap.gif

But try mentioning moving Messi anywhere from the CM position he's been occupying lately and you'll get crucified.

In order to succeed, you need to change constantly. Barca's current system is no longer a mystery to opposing teams, we can't go thinking it would work forever like it used to, especially not against teams like RM.

What you wrote is arguably the deadliest attack in the world. Lionel Messi AND David Villa, provided final passes by Fabregas? Yes, please.

raskolnikov

I prefer Villa starting with Iniesta at his usual position, then when we have an advantage like the 1-0 tonight with 25 minutes left throw him in, he will make a killer pass that leads us to the win.

Home of Barca Fans