Cesc Fàbregas

jamrock

I suggested putting messi on the right a while back, it would free up space in the middle for whoever plays the cm position or iniesta has one of the cb or dim would have to move over and help, but it can't be with cesc and villa, one of Sanchez or Pedro has to play on the left. To maintain the balance, its that are abidal/Montoya replace one of the fulbacks

hellsangel1

Like about 3.

How many "balls" did Messi lose in the game? More than Fab.

Cesc wasn't the one surrounded by 3 or 4 players everytime he made a run and even when Messi had to drop deep to get the ball he was alwasy surrounded by atleast 2 players. The reason Messi was ineffective was because our midfield was playing deeper than usual and failed to get a foothold in the game, relying on more 'direct' passing which was getting broken up and giving opportunities for Madrid on the break.

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I don't see the need to change the system. This was one bad game and we will bounce back. After all we do have the away goals advantage right now. I agree it's a shame that we didn't beat them considering all the players missing from their lineup. However that was because our team wasn't motivated and we were stopped by a phenomenal performance from Varane and a really good performance from Lopez as well.

hellsangel1

Which is why I agree we need to have Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets running the midfield. But I personally feel that Fabregas' contribution is more potent and dangerous than Pedro's, and that he is a more valuable asset to have on the field. Yes we need Xaviniesta in midfield to greatly improve our possession game but I think we would be WELL served having Cesc and Villa along with Messi on the attacking front.

Pedro is more dangerous because he is better at one-touch passing under pressure as has been proven in several Clasicos and is much quicker than Cesc which makes his runs more dangerous, his speed with the ball on his feet is more dangerous for defenders to handle and he's also a proven goal scorer in Clasico's.

Cesc has largely dissapointed in Clasico's under Pep and now the same in Tito's system as well. If Messi is going to be pushed to the wings than I'd much rather have Villa upfront rather than Cesc.

N

Noldorin

Which is why I agree we need to have Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets running the midfield. But I personally feel that Fabregas' contribution is more potent and dangerous than Pedro's, and that he is a more valuable asset to have on the field. Yes we need Xaviniesta in midfield to greatly improve our possession game but I think we would be WELL served having Cesc and Villa along with Messi on the attacking front.

We won't know until we try.

It's really not that insane when you think about it... and considering how fluid Barca plays with the total football system, Messi would not be "pushed to the wing" throughout the game, he'd be rotating between the wing, the center forward, and the false 9/AM position. It wouldn't be that much different at all I think.

I REALLY hope Vilanova somehow read that post of yours. This sounds like an outstanding system, at least on paper, and very much deserves a few tries in the next league games!

Y

Youngie

If you have Cesc upfront he becomes half the player - only a goal scorer. He's so much more than that.

Y

Youngie

Cesc wasn't the one surrounded by 3 or 4 players everytime he made a run and even when Messi had to drop deep to get the ball he was alwasy surrounded by atleast 2 players. The reason Messi was ineffective was because our midfield was playing deeper than usual and failed to get a foothold in the game, relying on more 'direct' passing which was getting broken up and giving opportunities for Madrid on the break.

I never said Messi was "in-effective" ;) he had an assist at least.

Vapor

If you have Cesc upfront he becomes half the player - only a goal scorer. He's so much more than that.
But see not in the false 9 position. Is Messi just a goal scorer? No way, he drops deeper and provides amazing assists. That's why Cesc would be there not as a CF but as a False 9. The false 9 position utilizes both his great positioning and goalscoring prowess and also all the rest of his playmaking/assisting talent. So Cesc lining up front does not restrict him to just being a goal scorer at all.

Y

Youngie

I see your lineup Vapor. Interesting but no Pedro...

Otherwise good job but I still prefer Cesc in midfield.

Vapor

I'm not saying up front is Cesc's OPTIMAL position. But him playing the false 9 has proved very effective and in times where we need to switch up/vary our attack, I think he could be used here to very good use without sacrifice the Iniesta-Busquets-Xavi midfield that is so critical.

This was Cesc playing up front and AM last season before his drop in form.

Look at how many perfect runs he makes and how many great final balls he received from Messi. The first goal is the PERFECT example - Messi is on the right, finds Fabregas making one of his brilliant runs through the middle, hits him perfectly and goal. AND on top of that he can drop back a little deeper and make those beautiful lobs like he does to Xavi at 1:45 and like he's done for us all season.

I see your lineup Vapor. Interesting but no Pedro...

Otherwise good job but I still prefer Cesc in midfield.
Yea it does bite having to sacrifice Pedro but that's our problem this season, not enough room for so many great players lol. I also still prefer Cesc in midfield but I think this can be a lethal weapon used to break apart teams like Madrid when our other line ups aren't working. Villa-Messi-Pedro in front of the trinity isn't bad in itself but I think Cesc is hotter than Pedro right now and adds a little more variation than Pedro can offer. Plus it takes Messi out of the center which is where teams are used to him playing. Not to mention Cesc+Villa has already proved to be a deadly combo numerous times this season and Cesc+Messi have a 10 year telepathic connection.

Ok I've said just about all I need to say on the subect lol

Last edited:

hellsangel1

Pedro is a much more proven goal-scorer and also in the Clasicos as well so he'd get my vote ahead of Cesc. If there is anybody that needs to be inserted in the Barca attack it's Villa who wouldn't have been as wasteful as either Pedro or Cesc but maybe the Barca coaches see something in pratice/training ground they don't like.

dmode

Pedro is more dangerous because he is better at one-touch passing under pressure as has been proven in several Clasicos and is much quicker than Cesc which makes his runs more dangerous, his speed with the ball on his feet is more dangerous for defenders to handle and he's also a proven goal scorer in Clasico's.

Cesc has largely dissapointed in Clasico's under Pep and now the same in Tito's system as well. If Messi is going to be pushed to the wings than I'd much rather have Villa upfront rather than Cesc.

Just wanted to point out that the last time Barcelona lost against Real in August, Cesc didn't even play a single minute

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/football/spanish-supercopa/2012-2013/real-madrid-fc-barcelona-520982.html

Home of Barca Fans