Cesc Fàbregas

Barca_Laker

I for one, do like Cesc and I see what he brings to the team, however ....

I believe that Tata is as much to blame for his recent dip in performances due to trying to field the best XI players all into the same team, rather than selecting the team based on form and best balance.

Cesc cannot do what Iniesta does as well as Iniesta. And Cesc cannot do what Xavi does period. He is nowhere near as good them in tight spaces and when prohibited the luxury of time and space on the ball.

He is too slow and doesn't have the trickery to play out-wide, so the ONLY position he can play is in the Centre of Midfield. This wouldn't be a massive problem like I said if Tata set the rest of the team up correctly, but having Neymar and Iniesta out-of-position is not only effecting the team but Fabregas' influence as well.

I agree with many members that Cesc was the wrong signing at the time. And as the years go by, it is becoming more apparent that his game is not exactly suited to Barca's. It's not his fault, but FC Barcelona should not be expected to fit around Cesc, it is Cesc that should adapt to what Barca needs.

So what to do? :eusa_think:

- He either accepts that he is behind Xavi & Iniesta in the pecking order and acquires a squad role filling in for X&I and playing against the smaller teams.
- He works his ass off to try to become a better and more well-rounded player, more suited to our system. Or ....
- He plies his trade elsewhere.

Because changing our system and team-set-up to accommodate one player that has been "ineffective" in big games, just doesn't wash anymore.

I pretty much agree with what you've said. If the rumors of being linked with Gundogan are true, then i think cesc gets sold to United in the summer. I believe english papers were reporting that they would offer 41 million pounds for him. If gundogan is healthy, it might not be a bad move.

SeloBarca

He is nowhere near as good them in tight spaces and when prohibited the luxury of time and space on the ball.

He is too slow and doesn't have the trickery to play out-wide

I agree with many members that Cesc was the wrong signing at the time. And as the years go by, it is becoming more apparent that his game is not exactly suited to Barca's. It's not his fault, but FC Barcelona should not be expected to fit around Cesc, it is Cesc that should adapt to what Barca needs.

Because changing our system and team-set-up to accommodate one player that has been "ineffective" in big games, just doesn't wash anymore.

We had a player that was exactly the same, and he got sold after 1 year

Djab

He was not good but whistling him is not good either. It just fucks up his little remaining confidence, and that's bad for the team spirit.

sabby

To get the best out of fabregas against big teams, he needs to play in the middle and needs a proper #9 in front. I'm not saying he was absolute pathetic, but he didn't add much yesterday or in the classico and its definitely not worth to bench Pedro/Alexis.

Superstar85

I pretty much agree with what you've said. If the rumors of being linked with Gundogan are true, then i think cesc gets sold to United in the summer. I believe english papers were reporting that they would offer 41 million pounds for him. If gundogan is healthy, it might not be a bad move.

I doubt Cesc or any other player who has a chance of playing CL football next season will chose to go to United instead.

Superstar85

The reason why Tata plays the 4 man midfield in CL is clearly because he sees that the usual 3 Man midfield will get pushed over and out ran by the midfield of other bigger teams who are not only technical OK, but also physically stronger (see Bayern last season or even PSG, and also the Spanish team against Brazil at the confed cup). The 3 Man midfield of Busquets/Xavi/Iniesta simply don't have the legs anymore to completely render the effectiveness of the other team's midield mute, and Xavi's nowhere near as creative as he used to be. Teams (big ones most especially) learned how to play them.

The 4 man midfield was the clearly the wrong tactics against Athletico though, since they mostly sit deep and try to counter (most especially against other big teams). But do you thing the midfield 3 of Busquets/Xavi/Iniesta will be enough against big teams that don't just sit back and wait?

The reason why Tata plays the 4 man midfield in CL is clearly because he sees that the usual 3 Man midfield will get pushed over and out ran by the midfield of other bigger teams who are not only technical OK, but also physically stronger (see Bayern last season or even PSG, and also the Spanish team against Brazil at the confed cup). The 3 Man midfield of Busquets/Xavi/Iniesta simply don't have the legs anymore to completely render the effectiveness of the other team's midield mute, and Xavi's nowhere near as creative as he used to be. Teams (big ones most especially) learned how to play them.

The 4 man midfield was the clearly the wrong tactics against Athletico though, since they mostly sit deep and try to counter (most especially against other big teams). But do you thing the midfield 3 of Busquets/Xavi/Iniesta will be enough against big teams that don't just sit back and wait?

The 4 man midfield certainly works against certain opponents, but Tata needs to flexible and pick his tactics and lineup to fit the situation. He failed to do so (at least until the last 20 mins or so) and we paid the price.

Alik

Cesc simply wasn't suited for this game. He didn't play too bad, it was just bad tactics.

His form has gone down this second half of season just like previous ones. Still don't think we should sell him. Just need to stop starting him so often at this stage, and bring him off the bench as a sub when necessary.

Play him when he is on form, and bench him when he is not. Simple.

Remember when Cesc was subbed off against City. It was S Roberto who came in for him, not a winger.

Last edited:
M

Me&me

This guy is good only in small games. He is not part of our future midfield

Duke

why do you guys think we are going to sell Cesc? Tata is in LOVE with this lad! No way seeing Cesc leaving

kollegah

all these annoying cesc LOVERS, should name me a big game in which the turtle delivered, he cost us the win yesterday, if ney and sex started we have could scored 3 or 4 goals

Home of Barca Fans