Cesc Fàbregas

Ursegor

World Champion
To be fair at the 2012 EC he was on the bench in 3 out of 6 games.

And the other 3 times he was used as a centerforward so he didn't interfer with the buildup play. Del Bosque actually lists him as a "forward" and not a midfielder in his callups. :VdB:

FC B

Pep did push to get Cesc here but it wasn't just Pep.

The whole Barcelona ORGANIZATION basically did from the players to the higher ups in the club who used the angle that Cesc was "stolen." Cesc has a lot of support in this club, that's for sure.

I think he's done well, in spite of bad performances in key games but he's often played out of position and it doesn't help him that we don't play with a striker up top that provides movement. We didn't lose the last 3 games because of him.

There's clearly something going on within the club/team that has affected everyone's morale and play. And it's probably been going on for most of the season, who knows.

I agree and I think the team needs a manager that can play him, Neymar, Iniesta, Masche on their native and best fitting positions. They won't play under par on a regular basis then.

Ursegor

World Champion
Really? Because I recently read Spain's callup for the 2012 EC and as far as I remember, Cesc was listed as a midfielder.

In a friendly after the Euros he was listed as a forward. Had some good laughs about it on this forum if I'm not hallucinating.

I agree and I think the team needs a manager that can play him, Neymar, Iniesta, Masche on their native and best fitting positions. They won't play under par on a regular basis then.

Groundhog day. Fabregas doesn't have a position in this team. His position is behind the striker in a 4-2-3-1. However, if we ever were to play that formation (which we will never do because the whole La Masia philosophy is based on triangulations in a 3 man midfield), it would also be Messi's best position, behind a true #9.

100 % sure Guardiola realized his mistake with Fabregas. The players didn't respond to his 3-4-3 experiment which made Fabregas surplus immediately. Pep obviously rates Thiago highly. Reverting to 4-3-3 with Iniesta, Cesc and Thiago? Was never going to work. He most likely asked to sell Fabregas (like Ibra). Rosell said no. Pep quit. We're stuck with Cesc and Cesc is playing the most minutes in the entire squad, especially all the big games, even if it means playing Iniesta and Neymar out of position. Barca. :lol:

CatalinR10

Yeah, and he was our second best player after Messi for some time.

2011/12... 15 goals, 16 assists
2012/13... 17 goals, 16 assists
2013/14... 17 goals, 11 assists

Those stats are pretty impressive to be honest. He's a beast when treated properly.

2011/2012 :

He's scored against Vilareal in a 5-0 win , against ossasuna in a 8-0 win , zaragoza in a 4-0 win, levante in a 5-0 win, plzen 4-0 win , santos 4-0 , real sociedad , valencia , athletic bilbao , espanyol . His most important goal in that season was against Real Madrid in a 3-1 win.

He scored a goal in the begining of January against Espanyol in la liga ,and after that goal , he scored NONE in la liga . That's no goal in 4,5 months.

2012/2013

In the first part of the season , his best game in la liga was against sevilla when he scored a hatrick and we won with 3-2. Other than that , he scored in games which we won with 4-0 (levante ) 5-0( rayo valecano ) 5-1 (bilbao)

In the second part of the season , he scored 2 goals against Malaga , the first one in a 3-1 win and the second in a 4-1 win , Mallorca 3 goals in a 5-0 win and Levante.

He scored against Deportivo Alaves in a 3-0 win and also in a 1-1 draw against Real Madrid in the Copa del Rey while he missed 3 BIG chances to score again.

In the CL , in 8 games he's scored 1 goal against benfica , and assisted none.

2013 / 2014

Don't know where you got those stats but this season he scored 13 goals in all competitions.

In La Liga he scored in games agasint easy opponents in which we won 3-0 , 4-0 , 5-2 , 4-1 .

And again , from January untill now , he's scored only 1 goal in La liga in a 5-2 win against Getafe.

In the CL he's scored 1 against Celtic and a assist against Milan , and that's all.

Copa Del Rey : scored in games which we won 4-0 , 4-1 , 5-1.

So yeah , he's such a beast in the first part of the season against small teams , when we're already winning.

His stats are great , but they would have been better if most of the goals and assists would have been in the second part of the season , against big teams , when it matters the most. Instead , he just flops most of the times.

As a squad player , yes , he would be great but as a first team player, especially in big games, NO WAY .

Kerrybai

Cesc is a great player but it is frustrating that we bought him as he feels like a luxury signing. He does not fill the gaping hole ( replacing Xavi ) that needed to be fixed. We had far more pressing concerns than buying him.

I

instinct

But he assisted more goals than any other player in the squad this season. 21 assists + 13 goals in all competition is impressive so there is no way to call him shit.
I agree that his declining performances in the 2nd part of the seasons are worrying but we should keep him IMO.

R

relaySM

But he assisted more goals than any other player in the squad this season. 21 assists + 13 goals in all competition is impressive so there is no way to call him shit.
I agree that his declining performances in the 2nd part of the seasons are worrying but we should keep him IMO.
the problem is that he produces only in small games, where there is space. heck we could have kept thiago and played him in those games and he would have done the same or atleast close to. for his price and his hype he should have been a big game player!
he is an epl player i am afraid. the epl suits him better because he is afforded more space
In a friendly after the Euros he was listed as a forward. Had some good laughs about it on this forum if I'm not hallucinating.

Groundhog day. Fabregas doesn't have a position in this team. His position is behind the striker in a 4-2-3-1. However, if we ever were to play that formation (which we will never do because the whole La Masia philosophy is based on triangulations in a 3 man midfield), it would also be Messi's best position, behind a true #9.

100 % sure Guardiola realized his mistake with Fabregas. The players didn't respond to his 3-4-3 experiment which made Fabregas surplus immediately. Pep obviously rates Thiago highly. Reverting to 4-3-3 with Iniesta, Cesc and Thiago? Was never going to work. He most likely asked to sell Fabregas (like Ibra). Rosell said no. Pep quit. We're stuck with Cesc and Cesc is playing the most minutes in the entire squad, especially all the big games, even if it means playing Iniesta and Neymar out of position. Barca. :lol:
visca barca! :cry:

CatalinR10

Most of the assists were against small teams.

In the second part of this season , last 4 months :

He gave an assist against Elche in a 4-0 win.

Gave 2 assists against Rayo in a 6-0 win.

Gave 1 assist against Almeria in a 4-0 win.

No goal or assist in the CL .

Copa del Rey:

Scored in a 4-0 win against Getafe , scored and assisted in a 5-1 win against Levante.

When I was saying that he is shit , I was referring in big games.

Armando929

Most of the assists were against small teams.

In the second part of this season , last 4 months :

He gave an assist against Elche in a 4-0 win.

Gave 2 assists against Rayo in a 6-0 win.

Gave 1 assist against Almeria in a 4-0 win.

No goal or assist in the CL .

Copa del Rey:

Scored in a 4-0 win against Getafe , scored and assisted in a 5-1 win against Levante.

When I was saying that he is shit , I was referring in big games.

But also in those big games, he's often moved out of position so that all of Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, and himself can be in the field at the same time.

I think that's what hurts his game more than anything and it just confuses him, as it would any player IMO.

Cule4life

The Culest

Be careful. The Pep haters will be onto you

JamDav1982

Be careful. The Pep haters will be onto you

I am sure that Pep has said he first told the board of his intention to leave the club at end of season around the November time. That was long before 3-4-3 was shown to not be working.

Pep left because he knew that the team was coming to an end and would be on the decline. He probably stayed longer than he expected to.

Ursegor

World Champion
Pep left because he knew that the team was coming to an end and would be on the decline. He probably stayed longer than he expected to.

2:16: "Let them [Barca board] be happy with the players they've got."

This was the major sentence of his rant back then about the sporting aspect that stuck with me. From the transcript it seems like a sarcastic remark which suggests he wanted change ("you didn't let me change things then be happy with what you've got now"). Coupled with the rumours from a Fifa agent around the same time that Guardiola wanted to sell major players like Villa, Alves and Fabregas as a condition to stay and Cruyff's recent statement that the coach isn't in full control at Barca (another hint that Guardiola wasn't allowed to do what he wanted?) and the fact that everyone knows how highly Pep rates Thiago and the obvious fact that Cesc would steal Thiago's playing time long term - I'm inclined to believe he really wanted change and he really wanted players like Cesc gone. Pep is an intelligent man who 100 % realized quickly that without 3-4-3 there was no place for Fabregas.

Maria

When Pep left Valdes was 30, Pique 25, Busquets 23, Iniesta 27 and Messi 24 years old. So maybe we were in decline but we weren't in a worse position than Bayern was that year. The difference was that Hoeness fired their director of football in the summer of 2012 and brought Sammer, who bought Javi Martinez, Dante and Mandzukic. What did Rosell do? He kept Zubi, who bought Jordi Alba and someone who could do the job of Javi&Dante at the same time: Song.
So those of you who are still defending this board can repeat all you want that "Pep knew that this team was comming to end", but this won't make Rosell look any better.

Home of Barca Fans