Cesc Fàbregas

DinhoR10

you guys think rafinha can control a game, but i see him as more of an attacking player. koke can control a game better and that's why i would consider buying him (or anyone else that can do that). remember we mst have 4 players for 2 positions.

Yes he can play AM very well, but he can play RW very well, LW too actually and most importantly he can play CM very well too. He's versatile and can play many positions but I think CM fits him well the most because his workrate and defensive ablility along with his distribution and dribbling skills lend itself to that role especially well in our system of intense pressing and passing.

If you believe Rafinha can give equal or superior performance to Barca than Koke gave Atletico or would give Barca, then all the more reason to think of Cesc as spendable. Cesc would just get in the way and without him, Rafinha could play almost every game in both midfield positions.

I'm not willing to say that he'll sprout as easily as koke yet especially since his time will take a hit this season. So even though I don't know if he'll get 16 assists like koke (He got 7 which is actually really good all things considered), I know that I wouldnt be nervous if Lucho played him against Madrid.

I see your point though, Cesc is effectively the odd man out in Barca right now, and its mainly due to his buildup passing skills/speed issues.

Edit: We don't NEED 70% possession. In 2009 cl final we had 51% in 2011 we had 63%, that 70% thing only really happens against parked busses.

Last edited:

Hamzah

High Definition Member
ok fair enough. maybe rafinha can play the game controller role (i didn't say he couldn't do it just he's better at am). even then WE NEED FOUR PLAYERS FOR TWO POSITONS. so we need a new player anyway. if we don't get him keep cesc, simple.

DinhoR10

ok fair enough. maybe rafinha can play the game controller role (i didn't say he couldn't do it just he's better at am). even then WE NEED FOUR PLAYERS FOR TWO POSITONS. so we need a new player anyway. if we don't get him keep cesc, simple.

I agree with you there so no worries :lol:

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I'm not willing to say that he'll sprout as easily as koke yet especially since his time will take a hit this season. So even though I don't know if he'll get 16 assists like koke (He got 7 which is actually really good all things considered), I know that I wouldnt be nervous if Lucho played him against Madrid.

I see your point though, Cesc is effectively the odd man out in Barca right now, and its mainly due to his buildup passing skills/speed issues.

Edit: We don't NEED 70% possession. In 2009 cl final we had 51% in 2011 we had 63%, that 70% thing only really happens against parked busses.

To be honest, the more I think about it the more the idea of a Vidal type of player begins to appeals to me. If you look at Iniesta, the natural progression for him as his age advances, is for him to become a more controlling player and less of an incisive dribbler. He is already 30, I think he could very well take more a controlling playmaking role so the team would just need other midfielders to complement him with work rate and scoring. Both Rafinha and Vidal are ideal for that sort of role.

A midfield compose of Busquets, Mascherano, Vidal, Iniesta, Xavi and Rafinha would not only be deep and talented, but extremely versatile. There would be no formation Lucho could not field. He could even field formations with more than 3 midfielders because both Rafinha and Vidal are excellent midfield scorers.

That midfield would be very similar to Guardiola's in his first year with Yaya, Busi, Keita, Hleb, Xavi and Iniesta. Midfield which scored 27 total goals.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
biased. you were criticising before he even played a game, you gloss over his good performances and talk up his bad ones. now you think you were ''right'' because he hasn't fit quite as well as expected, but that's the manager(s) problem. when he is played in his actual position he has done very well. he has contributed well despite the manager not using him properly.

you say cesc is unsuited and then go onto say you want him replaced with pogba which makes no sense.

Don't confuse honesty with bias, when he's played well I've acknowledged it and no one is denying his qualities...I'm not sitting here with blinders due to some immature feud over the player...I've merely been consistent from long before he was brought back that he no longer fit in the scheme of Barcelona's play and nothing since has changed that assessment

I've always said the only way he could've worked here is if the transformation to a 3-4-3 ever materialized...It didn't so now's the time to cash in on a failed transfer that still might generate a profit for the club that initially lost him to poachers, only to eventually pony up big cash to get him back again, after he's been modified into a player that no longer fits in our play...11 years to finally turn a profit on the investment

anguy

So after defenders, I made comparison table of potential replacements for Cesc:

Midfield_stats.png

Fabregas looks quite good, but this is really the case of stats not telling entire picture.

ebieymjunior

I'd say sell Fabregas, buy Kroos and loan out Suarez. Stay with Kroos/Roberto/Xavi at CM and Iniesta/Rafinha at AM, though they can play in other positions.
Or sell Fabregas and trust Rafinha and Roberto (both played under Lucho in Barca B) in CM as well as AM.

Either way sell Fabregas (bidding war by ManU and Arsenal in the region of €55M).
Kroos (actually Gundogan, but he's injured) would be ideal, but Vidal is not far off to be honest.
Keep them until Kaptoum is good enough to take over.

xxxxxx

Midfield_stats.png

Fabregas looks quite good, but this is really the case of stats not telling entire picture.

Now.... what's his stats for the first half of a season and the 2nd half of a season since he's been at Barcelona?

Jadentheman

Midfield_stats.png

Playing for Barcelona itself automatically inflates the stats because the players get more chances to do stuff.

Home of Barca Fans