Cesc Fàbregas

Ritchie

If they can break even on the Cesc deal, that will be great business.

The market has inflated a lot in recent years as we'll find out trying to replace him.

Where i'd give the board the benefit of the doubt is if Lucho has gone to them and said 'sell Fabregas I don't want him' but Mourinho did that with luiz and Mata and look at the fees Chelsea got.

Xavinho

lol I want Cesc sold badly but questioning the loyalty of a 16 year old who was playing somewhere in the 4th divisions of Spain with the likes of Deco, Xavi, Iniesta in their prime years (or even before their prime years) all way ahead of him when a top club like Arsenal comes with a big offer is the worst possible comparison to Alcuntara who was already a 22 year old first teamer with 100+ caps and jumped ship after the very first hurdle. I hold nothing against Cesc for leaving Barca.

Cesc left in 2003 and Deco was signed in 2004, and Cesc wasn't playing "somewhere in the 4th divisions of Spain". He was still with the youth team. Cesc decided to jump ship without even trying to make it to the first team or sign a professional contract with us so we wouldn't be left with nothing.

That was his choice just as it should have been our choice to never spend big money on him and simultaneously throw more loyal players under the bus when we knew he'd already quit on us once.

Messi was the same age and we brought in Ronaldinho, Quaresma, and Luis García for 03/04 (and I'm probably forgetting who else we had in the squad) and he stayed. He stayed even when we signed Ludo the next year.

I don't blame Thiago for leaving. He stayed with us when he was younger when he had good offers and could have left for nothing. He gave it a shot, it didn't work out, and he left. I blame mismanagement for that. But at least we got a transfer fee for him.

raskolnikov

I dont see the point in selling Cesc when we buy raketic as a replacement, I prefer keeping Cesc and adding Raketic then.

raskolnikov

How come? having 5 players for the two amc positions isnt such a bad deal, especially with injuries, only Sergi Roberto needs to be loaned.

Trickykid

How come? having 5 players for the two amc positions isnt such a bad deal, especially with injuries, only Sergi Roberto needs to be loaned.

As I see it, Rafinha needs to play regularly this season, and by adding to the competition he won't get near enough minutes. I don't expect Lucho to use him as a starter right away, but with both Fab, Iniesta and Rakitic ahead of him, he'd no doubt be marginalized.

Maria

lol I want Cesc sold badly but questioning the loyalty of a 16 year old who was playing somewhere in the 4th divisions of Spain with the likes of Deco, Xavi, Iniesta in their prime years (or even before their prime years) all way ahead of him when a top club like Arsenal comes with a big offer is the worst possible comparison to Alcuntara who was already a 22 year old first teamer with 100+ caps and jumped ship after the very first hurdle. I hold nothing against Cesc for leaving Barca.

What? Deco was at Porto then, waiting to win the CL, while Iniesta wasn't near his prime years(he had 9 apps with the first team in 2002-2003). And Cesc was as appreciated as Messi in the cantera at the time and the club actually tried to convince him to stay, but he didn't wanted. Another thing that you need to remember was what was happening at the club in that summer and how the board was struggling to get rid of the bad players and replace them with better ones(and Pique's grandfather was already atacking Laporta at the time).

And you do realize that Xavinho was talking about a Thiago at the age of 16-17, who had a lot of offers from Chelsea and Arsenal(just like Rafinha, Deulofeu or Samper), but he chose to stay at Barca(and at the time we actually had Xavi, Iniesta & Deco with the first team and then Xavi, Iniesta, Keita and Yaya Toure). But I can see that it's worst for him and for the few of us that still like him that he did that. He should have left for free when he had the first offer and maybe now everybody would want him back for more than 30M euros, instead of insulting him after leaving for a fee bigger than what the board managed to get for Ibra.

If Rosell's board had been in charge back in 2003 the narrative would have looked like Cesc being driven out of the club or the cantera not being valued and it wasn't his fault, e. g. Sanabria. There is a very fitting Pippi Langstrumpf song line that describes it best. Too bad you can't translate it properly into English.

For one Rosell was in charge in 2003(he was Vice-president of sports area at the time), but I don't blame him or Laporta, just like I never blamed Rosell for Sanabria or Bellerin or Toral leaving.

Last edited:

Maria

As I see it, Rafinha needs to play regularly this season, and by adding to the competition he won't get near enough minutes. I don't expect Lucho to use him as a starter right away, but with both Fab, Iniesta and Rakitic ahead of him, he'd no doubt be marginalized.

I agree..Rafinha, Iniesta and another one like Rakitic would be enough. And I really hope that Samper will get minutes this season. I also wonder what they are going to do with Song.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I dunno. Cesc himself said thee was many other players ahead if him and he left for playing time. Also to play under a coach that can develop him as fast as possible.

While Messi always knew he'd be a first teamer eventually. Anyway it's a dumb thing to talk about.

Maria

I dunno. Cesc himself said thee was many other players ahead if him and he left for playing time. Also to play under a coach that can develop him as fast as possible.
Cesc also said that his dream was to play for Barca since he was 11 y.o. But maybe I'm being to harsh on him because at the time it was understandable to want to change Barcelona with Arsenal. Just like in 2011 was understandable to leave Arsenal for Barcelona.

While Messi always knew he'd be a first teamer eventually. Anyway it's a dumb thing to talk about.
I don't know if he knew..but he probably felt that he owed something to the club at the time. And just like Cesc, in 2003 he was still playing for the youth teams.

Last edited:

Tomchin

The endless comparisons between Thiago and Cesc ;) Both put their own career before the club (unlike Xavi and Iniesta), so i dont see how both cases are any different. "I want to triumph in football, not necessarily at Barca", Thiago's intentions were clear from day 1.

Maria

The endless comparisons between Thiago and Cesc ;) Both put their own career before the club (unlike Xavi and Iniesta), so i dont see how both cases are any different. "I want to triumph in football, not necessarily at Barca", Thiago's intentions were clear from day 1.

They are different because for one of them we actually made a profit and because Cesc suddenly remembered how much he loves Barca after we won the CL. If I see Thiago doing something like that I will be the first one to criticize him. And as much as I like him as a player, I don't ever want to see him back at Barca.

F

Flavia

Xavi was very close to leaving to Milan at one point, though. His father was up for it, his mom blocked the move. Everyfootballer puts their career before clubs. That doesn't mean they aren't loyal or don't want to stay and suceed here.

Maria

Xavi was very close to leaving to Milan at one point, though. His father was up for it, his mom blocked the move. Everyfootballer puts their career before clubs. That doesn't mean they aren't loyal or don't want to stay and suceed here.

And to Bayern:lol: in 2008, but Pep convinced him that he will be important for the team. And Xavi is the biggest cule from all of our players.

Home of Barca Fans