Cesc Fàbregas

fcbdna

Banned
Cesc aint' going nowheree! :tea:

i hope

Needs to be kept in midfield, though. I think pep tried it last year as something different because he needed to fit into the team (questions would be asked if a big name transfer sat on the bench each week) Then with Villa injured, he played there for spain. Unfortunately for us (kind of?) it worked and they won the euros in the summer :lol: Although thats great and im happy they won, it seems to have convinced people its his new role.
No one can replace Xavi, not many midfielders can control a game like he can. If the defense is solid next season and we get the high pressing back, having a slightly more open game with Cesc in midfield might eventually be the way forward..

There are persons who can replace Xavi just won't be as good. The loss of quality will be evident, but I still think Thiago will fit in.

Last edited:

Michael

http://www.marca.com/2013/05/02/en/football/barcelona/1367524130.html

Is this the general feeling among Catalan Barca fans, or is this guy just caught up in the moment and being too reactionary?

Not that I'm Catalan, but Cesc is not well liked in Barca, that's for sure. The booing against Bayern was not the first time.

Is he being scape-goated? Certainly. But his attitude and general body language has been crap since day one. And he's an idiot in front of a microphone which hurts him even more.

Irish_Cules

http://www.marca.com/2013/05/02/en/football/barcelona/1367524130.html

Is this the general feeling among Catalan Barca fans, or is this guy just caught up in the moment and being too reactionary?

I think it's a bit harsh. It's easy to make Cesc the scapegoat since his arrival coincided with the decline of the team and I think a lot of Barca fans hold it against him for leaving the club when he was younger.

Until he is trusted as a first choice midfielder, I'll cut him some slack because at the moment he doesn't fit in the team which isn't really his fault. However, I do think he might have a problem mentally. He's putting too much pressure on himself when he goes out onto the pitch and I don't think he really believes that he's going to succeed here, even though he has the ability. This is affecting his performances and it's something he needs to overcome himself before he is given a more fixed role in the team.

barcanuck

I been saying that for ages now, and I'll say it until I am blue in the face, if we have a target man making runs, Cesc will pick him out 9 times out of 10 cause Cesc has one of the best defence splitting passes or through ball in the world.

Cesc needs players giving runs for him to send his passes. Its a shame that we have no forward

Good points here, Cesc does need a true #9 who can head the ball in the box and can go into the box strong. Villa didn't play enough with Cesc to give him that option as he was injured or being eased back for last 2 years. Plus Villa was playing on LW. I think Messi and Cesc worked best in the 3-4-3 Pep came up with to fit both of them as false #9 and #10. But in a 4-3-3 it worked for half a season with Iniesta on LW and Cesc in mid this year as well. But we still struggle to find consistency with him. Perhaps our system which suits Messi the most doesn't suit Cesc year round as he can't adapt and jump back and forth due to his lack of pace. I say we keep him next year as he does perform really well in at least 25 games a year and plays like an absolute EPL no skill brit for the other 25 games.

spark

He ran more than all of our players and only two Bayern players ran more than him. Another case of perception and reality. I guess he wanted Cesc to be putting in sliding tackles and thumping his chest. Good luck he didnt start in Munich, would have been blamed for all four goals.

Robbie

top comment on Sport.es:

Cesc es un buen chico. No dice palabrotas, es majo, no pega a nadie, etc. Pero es lento, perezoso, manso, sin desborde, sin velicidad, sin potencia muscular, sin remate de cabeza, sin chispa... No tiene nada este chico! Qué hace en el FCB? FUERA YA!
----------------------------------------
translated: Cesc is a good guy. No swears, he's nice, not hit anyone, and so on. But it is slow, lazy, meek, without overflow, without speed, no muscle power, no header, no spark ... There is nothing this guy! What makes the FCB? OUT NOW!

Gaudi

He ran more than all of our players and only two Bayern players ran more than him. Another case of perception and reality. I guess he wanted Cesc to be putting in sliding tackles and thumping his chest. Good luck he didnt start in Munich, would have been blamed for all four goals.

Even though I am quoting statistic on other topic, stats can mean something but not everything. If you would look football stats from different side you could say: 12km during 90 mins. Well if you walk on a sunny day, let's say 5km per hour you would pass 7,5km in 90 mins. Throw in a bit of runnig and there you go, big difference is what kind of miles you produce. High tempo, sprints, always moving or walking on a sunny day.

LeoMessi10

I think it's a bit harsh. It's easy to make Cesc the scapegoat since his arrival coincided with the decline of the team and I think a lot of Barca fans hold it against him for leaving the club when he was younger.

Until he is trusted as a first choice midfielder, I'll cut him some slack because at the moment he doesn't fit in the team which isn't really his fault. However, I do think he might have a problem mentally. He's putting too much pressure on himself when he goes out onto the pitch and I don't think he really believes that he's going to succeed here, even though he has the ability. This is affecting his performances and it's something he needs to overcome himself before he is given a more fixed role in the team.
I don't blame him for not feeling confident if he only plays when Messi gets hurt or one of the other midfielders get a rest, he WAS Arsenal when he played for them because everyone knew he was their most dangerous and most appreciated player. Here people throw him under the bus because he's not performing like messi in a role he isn't even supposed to play.

Chainsaw

Killahead
I don't blame him for not feeling confident if he only plays when Messi gets hurt or one of the other midfielders get a rest, he WAS Arsenal when he played for them because everyone knew he was their most dangerous and most appreciated player. Here people throw him under the bus because he's not performing like messi in a role he isn't even supposed to play.

That's what some of us were keep saying all along 2 years ago when Barca was so obsessed with bringing Cesc here when we were more in need of other players for the other positions while being overloaded with midfielders. Yet they paid alot for this golden boy of La Masia under some trivial excuse that he's gonna be Xavi's heir (was he ever??!) while other needs of the team have been unnoticed. Now we reach the same point that Cesc has no place in the starting line-up because of this and that and he should be sold or whatever.

I don't have any problem with Cesc really. I have a problem with why he was brought back here for that amount, when after two years we have to come to the same place repeating the obvious once again.

F

Flavia

I know Xavi can use some rest. He's 33, and if they want to make him last longer, better rotate them more. I remember on the beginning of this season, both Xavi and Iniesta were out injured. Having Cesc and Thiago was quite good.

mobster_1930

I don't know whats wrong with some people here. Cesc position isn't CF, false CF or call it whatever you like it. His position is Xavi's position. Whole team except Messi was pretty bad this season. Iniesta was really bad during last few matches and so was Xavi. Bashing Cesc is wrong, he saved our asses quite a few times at the first half of the season. He needs to play at CMF or else he will remain flop.

Barcilliant

All that tapping up has come back to haunt us. Remember that line the players used to trot out? "Cesc has Barca DNA". Makes me cringe. Honestly he & Sanchez get on my fucking nerves. They came and our team went to shit.

Home of Barca Fans