Champions League 23/24

Who will win CL this season?

• Total voters

Birdy

You are young lol They played nasty football before and Hala was flowing
No their only problem was them not winning and Barca murdering them.
RM are plastics by definition the whole point is the Wikipedia page, except the 30-33 years old fans who got some galacticos time

I am not young.
I have been watching ball since 1994 WC. Everything happened afterwards I have watched, and after 97 or 98 I have very clear memories of everything,
and I remember Madrid sacking TWICE title winning manager Capello (1997 and 2007) because of the football he played. And Madrid fans waiving white hankerchiefs for him TWICE because of his football.

"Real president Ramon Calderon told Marca newspaper: 'We've laid the foundations, but we need to find a more enthusiastic way of playing'."
"I began to realise that the plan of Capello did not fit in with what the fans of Madrid expected."
"the good results aren't enough"
"We want to return to the spectacle that excites the Madridista members.""
Source 1, 2

(other historical examples as well, for instance Antic)

No accident that all that changed with Mourinho. Barca's best team in history was the best excuse Mou needed to assert to their fanbase the different philosophy he wanted.
Yes, they are ABSOLUTELY PLASTIC, because they were so easy to change mindset.
Madrid since Mou have the same philosophy as Juventus, which was always winning no matter how
The definition of being plastic

Last edited:

serghei

I am not young.
I have been watching ball since 1994 WC. Everything happened afterwards I have watched, and after 97 or 98 I have very clear memories of everything,
and I remember Madrid sacking TWICE title winning manager Capello (1997 and 2007) because of the football he played. And Madrid fans waiving white hankerchiefs for him TWICE because of his football.

"Real president Ramon Calderon told Marca newspaper: 'We've laid the foundations, but we need to find a more enthusiastic way of playing'."
"I began to realise that the plan of Capello did not fit in with what the fans of Madrid expected."
Source 1, 2

No accident that all that changed with Mourinho. Barca's best team in history was the best excuse Mou needed to assert to their fanbase the different philosophy he wanted.
Madrid since Mou have the same philosophy as Juventus, which was always winning no matter how

There goes your last excuse...

BBZ8800

Someone else might disagree and say: that's not a definition of being plastic but being smart and living in the real world.

On the other hand, what Barca is doing with sticking to some romantic principles (which obviously aren't working too well) might be called as being young and naive.

One team is winning for 30 years.
The other team (or a fanbase) is trying to find 1000s of excuses why their loses are hollier and better than the wins from the other club.

Temptation

Someone else might disagree and say: that's not a definition of being plastic but being smart and living in the real world.

On the other hand, what Barca is doing with sticking to some romantic principles (which obviously aren't working too well) might be called as being young and naive.

The other team (or a fanbase) is trying to find 1000s of excuses why their loses are hollier and better than the wins from the other club.
Welcome back to the forum old man.

Birdy

No man!

1) There a thing called philosophy of playing in general, for instance attacking possession football.
2) There is another thing called tactical plan or outset, like playing 4-3-3, playing with wingers or with interiors.
The difference between them is that the former is a set of PRINCIPLES, while the latter is a way of APPLYING those principles on the pitch.

There is a bad part in romanticizing, and that comes down to conflating 2 with 1.
For instance, saying I want to always play 4-3-3 is such a case (Xavi or Laporta to Koeman anyone?), and is a terible misjudgment of 2 and 1. That is what has plagued Barca, not that we have 1.
Being flexible with 2 is a must given that 1 is always adopted to the state of the art in football. Pep has changed so much 2 in his career, never 1 for instance. Same with Klopp. Other examples as well

Having non-negotiable principles is what keep apart plastic from non-plastic fanbase. A fanbase with no non-negotiables who changes according to how the wind flows is the very definition of plastic.

fergus90

First 50 minutes Dortmund were the better team but in the end Real ran out deserved winners. Dortmund ran out of ideas and belief.

Second half once Vinicius and Rodrygo were 1v1 with the Dortmund fullbacks more often, the game changed.

cracken

I am not young.

Source 1, 2

(other historical examples as well, for instance Antic)

It's weird that you're trying to impose your ideals into another fanbase. Madrid doesn't have a specific style but they play attractive football most of the season and only close shop when they need to get a result against a stacked team, usually in a second leg away from home. Just contrast the first and second legs against Man City this year, one was the former while the second was a perfect example of the latter. No reasonable fanbase is expecting their team to live and die by a "philosophy".

Capello's football was significantly less appealing than Ancelotti's and the results weren't even comparable. Ancelotti won the long-awaited Decima in his first season whereas Capello eked out a league title on goal difference against a lackluster Barcelona and got embarrassed in the round of 16 vs a trash Bayern Munich. Ancleotti would have met the same fate if that's what he served in his first season.

Home of Barca Fans