Champions League 23/24

Who will win CL this season?

• Total voters

ajnotkeith

Inzaghi is clearly quality but easy on the simping lads. You guys are painting him like he's the next Rinus Michels, Arrigo Sacchi or Pep Guardiola :lol:

Allegri 7-8 years ago eliminated RM, MSN Barca, gave Pep's Bayern hell, and held his own v MSN Barca 2015 and RM 2017. Much bigger accomplishments than what Inzaghi has managed in CL thus far, on similar budget constraints (to be fair, less budget constraints but Inter but they were not big spenders in the market).

Let's see how he evolves and what he wins.
You know Inzaghi has been around for a really short time right? This is only the start, that's why it's so special.

I wouldnt compare the budget constraints either because Italy still had pull for top players at that time, Serie A has been in a sharp decline over the years and this Inter renaissance is fighting that tide, its something special. Juventus had a far better team at the time and was far more equal with its Spanish and English counterparts, Inters is way off. Really different situations but still he is achieving lots.

Its easy to look at the results and then say, hey, this guy is a great manager because he won X. But football analysis gets interesting when you rate the process.. his is top-class. Watch some more Inter and you'll see it.

KingLeo10

Allegri had far better teams tbh. Guys like Vidal, Marchisio in their primes. Chiellini in his prime, a very good and ascending Pogba, Bonucci was very good back then as well, not to forget Buffon in goal and they were able to sign guys like Higuain, Dybala for significant amounts considering how much Italy were struggling back then.

To me Inzaghi seems far more adapatable and willing to adjust than Allegri ever was, but you never know what's going to happen in a couple of years. Should have won the CL final last year too tbh.

Either way it shows that even this Barcelona squad can perform much better in Europe with a very good manager.
Agree, but the teams Allegri was going up against were stacked - Barca, RM, and Bayern were all in their super team era from 2015 to 2017. So, while Juventus was more talented than this Inter and had more finances, the competition was MUCH stiffer as well. And Allegri managed some big eliminations of RM and Barca in the CL that Inzaghi doesn't yet have.

My broader point is that Allegri was rated as a genius/almost genius from 2015 to 2017 - and it panned out he was just a good manager who had a couple of elite years. Inzaghi might be the same tbh. I could be wrong but I think I'm feeling pretty confident he's not a revolutionary manager like some of the other praise here paints him to be (not you, but others)- the last one of that ilk we've had was Pep lol.

KingLeo10

You know Inzaghi has been around for a really short time right? This is only the start, that's why it's so special.

I wouldnt compare the budget constraints either because Italy still had pull for top players at that time, Serie A has been in a sharp decline over the years and this Inter renaissance is fighting that tide, its something special. Juventus had a far better team at the time and was far more equal with its Spanish and English counterparts, Inters is way off. Really different situations but still he is achieving lots.

Its easy to look at the results and then say, hey, this guy is a great manager because he won X. But football analysis gets interesting when you rate the process.. his is top-class. Watch some more Inter and you'll see it.

No way - 2015 Barca and 2017 RM are two of the greatest club sides of all time.

And the 14-15 RM he eliminated was the only time RM lost a CL tie in 5 years from 2014 to 2018.

Juventus were more resourced than Inter is, no doubt but their competition was literally all time great sides and players.

KingLeo10

The comparison for Inzaghi shouldn't be Pep. Pep of course had a team of all timers from the start (though many of them like Busquets, he took to that level).

Inzaghi needs to achieve like early Mou did, when he won back to back European titles with Porto (good squad and resources but not stacked) - UEFA Cup and CL. Now that's a genius.

KingLeo10

I’m glad the score is only 1-0 as it’s probably the only decent tie of this round.

Champions League is so boring until the semi finals.
That's because the only elite team around is City (and Pool, but in classic Pool fashion, they're not even in the competition lmao).

PSG, RM, Bayern can play well on a given day but have obvious holes.

Inter and Arsenal are good but they have a tendency to be a bit wasteful and naive.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I’m glad the score is only 1-0 as it’s probably the only decent tie of this round.

Don't worry. XaviBall is here to entertain you.

Sure you might end up going crazy like The Joker watching us let in five goals to one of the worst attacking teams in Europe this season, but would be entertaining nonetheless.

fergus90

Proper matches only start in last 8 I feel.
Even last 16 games are very predictable these days
Yup, I’d agree it’s a procession until April. The last few finals have been shite as a spectacle too.

I’d welcome the Super League at this point, freshen it up a bit see more competitive match ups throughout the season.

fergus90

That's because the only elite team around is City (and Pool, but in classic Pool fashion, they're not even in the competition lmao).

PSG, RM, Bayern can play well on a given day but have obvious holes.

Inter and Arsenal are good but they have a tendency to be a bit wasteful and naive.
Barca vs Bayern would be funny this year. Be like watching the film Grudge Match where you see what used to be Raging Bull vs Rocky but is now two washed hasbeens going at it.

Daisymorr

I still don't understand how the Swiss model works. New Champions League Format.
Anyone care to bullet point it?
I have read some articles but still not sure. Seems like 1 huge League but you only have 1 top team per group and its not home and away

FinBarcelonafan

Barella is the player Gavi should aspire to be.

Very underrated.
He was very good, but lets not downplay Gavi. He is highly respected for his role. he is probably never going to be offensive dynamo, but super important captain material type of player for the team. Absolute warrior.

FinBarcelonafan

Great results for the second games. I expect Atletico to put up a fight. They will come out like hungry dogs and probably get a goal early. Then it's game on.

Home of Barca Fans