Champions League

BerkeleyBernie

Would have been nice to test this Barca against Europe's elite now that Xavi has started to get us playing the way he wants, and added a bit of quality to the attack.

I'd be a bit cautious about projecting too much from today's game. A great result and I'm a Xavi fan. But Madrid was lost without Benzema, total shambles. Xavi got it right and Ancelotti got it horribly wrong.

I think this Barca will still suffer against teams who press well or sit back organized, as we've seen in recent weeks.

Temptation

Would have been nice to test this Barca against Europe's elite now that Xavi has started to get us playing the way he wants, and added a bit of quality to the attack.

They are not ready for that yet.

Next season with a few new signings would be the right time.

Reckon Barca are still a few successful additions away from challenging for the UCL.

This current team would win La Liga if you started it in this way.

ajnotkeith

I'd be a bit cautious about projecting too much from today's game. A great result and I'm a Xavi fan. But Madrid was lost without Benzema, total shambles. Xavi got it right and Ancelotti got it horribly wrong.

I think this Barca will still suffer against teams who press well or sit back organized, as we've seen in recent weeks.
That's true, Madrid were set up terribly tactically, but we exploited it ruthlessly.

Porque

They are not ready for that yet.

Next season with a few new signings would be the right time.

Reckon Barca are still a few successful additions away from challenging for the UCL.

This current team would win La Liga if you started it in this way.

In a way I agree. Going to Europa League has culled expectation and allowed us to develop with a little less pressure than we have accustomed to.

On the other hand I know it is unlikely we would win the CL (and also that the whole CL draw would have been different had we qualified) but it would have been nice to get a route like Benfica had, see how we match up and look forward to a quarter final game in the CL rather than the Europa League.

Porque

This is true. On the other hand this isn't a result in isolation. Since Xavi has been here we have gone from losing to Madrid and Atletico (off the top of my head Xavier managed our initial draw to Sevilla?) To putting 4 past the other top 4 sides in Spain within half a year.

KingLeo10

Kind want RM to get to the semis of CL somehow because it gives us a sliver of hope for a league meltdown. I already know there is no way they beat City and Liverpool/Bayern in succession.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Kind want RM to get to the semis of CL somehow because it gives us a sliver of hope for a league meltdown. I already know there is no way they beat City and Liverpool/Bayern in succession.

I don't want Rm to get into the semi final as im sure they would have 0 chance against Bayern, i trust more Tuchel even though both teams are too weak for Bayern. I want Pep to win the cl but in final against Bayern i would trust more Liverpool.

In terms of la liga i can't imagine them to collapse as they're leading with 12 points more (9), once Benz comes back they will probably win most of them.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

Bayern won't stand a chance again Liverpool in the semis.

This.

I really don't see it very close between the two. Liverpool have the attacking quality to hurt them and the defensive quality to pocket Lewa. Bayern play suicidal defense, and generally struggle v other top teams.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

This.

I really don't see it very close between the two. Liverpool have the attacking quality to hurt them and the defensive quality to pocket Lewa. Bayern play suicidal defense, and generally struggle v other top teams.

Last time Liverpool faced Bayern Lewa wasnt in beast mode like he is nowadays though. Agree Bayern's defense has been most of the time crap but in those matches Nagelsmann will surely use a more 'safety' tactic.

Catta

youre an optimistic guy catta dude but didnt we say the same about PSG Bayern last season? Bayern is a very strong team and with a bit luck everything is possible!

Can't compare a loser club like QSG with a club like Liverpool who pride themselves for being mental monsters and comeback kings.

Like KingLeo said, van Dijk will pocket Lewa, and Bayern playing a too high line will be a dream scenario for players like Salah, Mane and Jota. Only a Neuer masterclass can keep Bayern in the game, but even he can't do it over two legs.

KingLeo10

Bayern's history v top teams (not just big names, but teams considered elite in a respective year) in their modern, golden era:

2010: W v United, L v Inter
2011: L v Inter
2012: W v RM, L v Chelsea
2013: W v Juve, W v Barca, W v Dortmund
2014: L v Real
2015: L v Barca
2016: W v Juve, L v AM
2017: L v RM
2018: L v RM
2019: L v Pool
2020: W v Chelsea, W v Barca (I'd argue we were a clown team but fine, we can put it in there), W v PSG
2021: L v PSG

8 (9) wins, 10 losses. Decent record but they more often than not pump weak opponents and are about 50-50 or less vs. strong opponents.

Here's Barca by comparison in our golden era (06-15):

2006: W v Chelsea, W v Milan, W v Arsenal
2007: L v Pool
2008: L v Man United
2009: W v Chelsea, W v Man United
2010: L v Inter
2011: W v RM, W v Man United
2012: W v Milan, L v Chelsea
2013: W v PSG, L v Bayern
2014: W v City, L v AM
2015: W v City, W v PSG, W v Bayern, W v Juve

14 W, 6 L. This is why we won 4 CL in 9 years in our golden era, while Bayern won 2 CL (1 of them in COVID format) in 12 years so far.

Now, let's do RM:

2010: --- (L to Lyon, not sure whether to count as Lyon is a small team)
2011: L v Barca
2012: L v Bayern
2013: L v Dortmund
2014: W v Bayern, W v AM
2015: W v AM, L v Juve
2016: W v Man City, W v AM
2017: W v Bayern, W v AM, W v Juve
2018: W v PSG, W v Juve, W v Bayern, W v Pool

12 W, 4 (5) L...also 4 CL in 9 years

So, the Barca - Real model of superstar driven CL campaigns is superior to the Bayern approach from the standpoint of winning big trophies. Bayern just seem scary because they annihilate weak opposition and run up the score v big names who are weak in a given year (vs. Chelsea, vs. Barca etc.)

Just need to modernize it and plan effectively for the after effects which tend to be more severe with the egos of these superstars.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Can't compare a loser club like QSG with a club like Liverpool who pride themselves for being mental monsters and comeback kings.

Like KingLeo said, van Dijk will pocket Lewa, and Bayern playing a too high line will be a dream scenario for players like Salah, Mane and Jota. Only a Neuer masterclass can keep Bayern in the game, but even he can't do it over two legs.

Let's hope. But if this doesnt happen and Bayern wins i will quote you Catta dude and serve a hot L....... :p

Home of Barca Fans