CL quarters: Barca - PSG 2-0 (5-1 agg.)

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
PSG have the players to replace their absences (at least to a significant degree) I don't get why so many people tend to dwell so much on the fact that some PSG starters are missing. Please keep in mind that PSG have beaten us in Paris without Ibra (their number one goalscorer) and we subsequently beat them, even when they had Ibra as well as the slightly overrated Verratti.

Like I said before, the two PSG players I most fear are Lucan and Matuidi, and they are both playing tonight.

They're missing 2/3 starting mid, Motta and Verratti (lol at your slightly overrated) which they can't replace talentwise. Don't know how fit Moura is after just coming back from a 2 month injury and they're also missing Luiz and Ibra. That's 5 starters missing.

They're depleted. If Barca can only manage a draw vs a depleted team missing 5 key starters, the return leg with at least 3 out of those 5 back is going to be a lot harder. I would not be happy nor comfortable with a draw, not at all.

StarLord

They're missing 2/3 starting mid, Motta and Verratti (lol at your slightly overrated) which they can't replace talentwise. Don't know how fit Moura is after just coming back from a 2 month injury and they're also missing Luiz and Ibra. That's 5 starters missing.

They're depleted. If Barca can only manage a draw vs a depleted team missing 5 key starters, the return leg with at least 3 out of those 5 back is going to be a lot harder. I would not be happy nor comfortable with a draw, not at all.

Marquinhos can cover for Luiz. Let me also remind you that Luiz made a serious blunder in the 2nd GS game that resulted in a quick equalizer from Messi. Marquinhos also had a brilliant game against us in the 1st GS game, at one point saving a certain 3rd goal from Jordi Alba.

In big games, I think PSG are better off without Ibra.

Is Motta really that good?

I will concede that Verratti is a significant absence for PSG.

Can't tell you much about Aurier, but he has only 9 league apps for PSG up to now. Certainly still trying to become a starter for them. It is in fact us that have to play a weak link in the shape of Mascherano/Montoya/Adriano at RB.

They can still field a very capable starting XI, they are at home, and they had a much easier job than us during the weekend. All things considered, this is a very tough game however one likes to spin it.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
its away from home man. i'd take a score draw right now.

A draw with goals is not an awful result because you still have the home leg and have away goals, but not only would it be a missed opportunity with PSG's absences, but all those people saying they'd be happy with a draw are setting themselves up for some extremely dangerous circumstances in the 2nd leg.

StarLord

A draw with goals is not an awful result because you still have the home leg and have away goals, but not only would it be a missed opportunity with PSG's absences, but all those people saying they'd be happy with a draw are setting themselves up for some extremely dangerous circumstances in the 2nd leg.

We have never been eliminated after an away score draw. Sure it would still be dangerous regardless, and sure we would prefer a win over any draw, but we have to keep some perspective here.

Alik

All things considered, this is a very tough game however one likes to spin it.
Meh. PSG was not the toughest or second toughest or third toughest opponent we could've drawn. If we hope to win the CL, then we better get used to playing against opponents of a decent level.

It will be a tough match, but if people think this is 50-50, then I wonder what hopes they have for us further up ahead.

StarLord

Meh. PSG was not the toughest or second toughest or third toughest opponent we could've drawn. If we hope to win the CL, then we better get used to playing against opponents of a decent level.

It will be a tough match, but if people think this is 50-50, then I wonder what hopes they have for us further up ahead.

Only two teams can be said to be better than PSG at the moment (other than us) Real Madrid and Bayern. We got the 3rd toughest draw possible.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Marquinhos can cover for Luiz. Let me also remind you that Luiz made a serious blunder in the 2nd GS game that resulted in a quick equalizer from Messi. Marquinhos also had a brilliant game against us in the 1st GS game, at one point saving a certain 3rd goal from Jordi Alba.

In big games, I think PSG are better off without Ibra.

Is Motta really that good?

I will concede that Verratti is a significant absence for PSG.

Can't tell you much about Aurier, but he has only 9 league apps for PSG up to now. Certainly still trying to become a starter for them. It is in fact us that have to play a weak link in the shape of Mascherano/Montoya/Adriano at RB.

They can still field a very capable starting XI, they are at home, and they had a much easier job than us during the weekend. All things considered, this is a very tough game however one likes to spin it.

The loss of Luiz is manageable for them because of Marquinhos, but Motta and Verratti are big blows without a doubt. Motta is underrated and Verratti is huge for them.

I never said they won't be able to field a capable 11, they will, and they'll be competitive today, but they are still depleted and it is a big advantage for Barca that they need to exploit.

Last edited:

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
We have never been eliminated after an away score draw. Sure it would still be dangerous regardless, and sure we would prefer a win over any draw, but we have to keep some perspective here.

Barca also have made it a habit of messing up away legs because of overconfidence and complacency and then having to burn the ships in the home leg, and sometimes even that wasn't enough.

StarLord

Barca also have made it a habit of messing up away legs because of overconfidence and complacency and then having to burn the ships in the home leg, and sometimes even that wasn't enough.

That I agree with, and that is precisely the reason I will be happy with a 2-2. We got eliminated after nasty away defeats to Inter (3-1) Chelsea (1-0) and of course the Bayern debacle. When we get a score draw, we go through the next round, either easily or with difficulty, usually easily.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
That I agree with, and that is precisely the reason I will be happy with a 2-2. We got eliminated after nasty away defeats to Inter (3-1) Chelsea (1-0) and of course the Bayern debacle. When we get a score draw, we go through the next round, either easily or with difficulty, usually easily.

Well I wouldn't be happy. It's not an awful result but I suspect PSG would like their chances a lot going into Camp Nou with a tie and getting at least 3 starters back. They've played us tough twice this year, and I wouldn't feel comfortable blowing up a chance to finish them when their down.

StarLord

Well I wouldn't be happy. It's not an awful result but I suspect PSG would like their chances a lot going into Camp Nou with a tie and getting at least 3 starters back. They've played us tough twice this year, and I wouldn't feel comfortable blowing up a chance to finish them when their down.

Well, my initial point still stands (imo at least) their absences won't count for as much as you seem to believe. In my book, they are basically missing Verratti. All the others, they can readily replace. In fact, I think Ibra's absence, is a blessing in disguise for them.

Home of Barca Fans