Claudio Bravo

I

instinct

you raise a valid point but seem to forget that bravo also plays against real and atletico in la liga, along with a string of other relatively good teams.

Not forgetting this at all. However, you seem to forget that MAtS has to play against great teams without much playing time and rhythm which makes it a lot more difficult. Moreover, he played against Atletico and several other La Liga teams in the Copa too.
You cannot change the facts that ter-Stegen has to play against much stronger teams and with less playing time than Bravo. That's a huge factor when you want to compare the two.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
To set the record straight, I am neither a Bravo hater nor a MaTS fanboy instead I consider ourselves lucky that we have 2 WC keepers at our disposal. Although in a scenario where we have to let one of them leave for whatever reason, I would pick MaTS to stay since IMO both him and Bravo are at a similar level, strong in some areas, relatively weak in others, but with all due respect to Bravo, Stegen has too much of a age difference and can potentially be our keeper for the next decade or so

Observer

Banned
Debate has gone full retard mode lately, some valid points but isolated facts don't prove anything really for any of the GKs.

I've seen a lot of stuff regarding planning for the future...do you see other areas in the team where management is planning for the future? Get Vidal out of the picture, he is there because of necessity.

Barca is not in a transitioning period, the only plan I see is to get quality players to level up the team around Messi until he leaves/retires.

KingLeo10

Not forgetting this at all. However, you seem to forget that MAtS has to play against great teams without much playing time and rhythm which makes it a lot more difficult. Moreover, he played against Atletico and several other La Liga teams in the Copa too.
You cannot change the facts that ter-Stegen has to play against much stronger teams and with less playing time than Bravo. That's a huge factor when you want to compare the two.

I am not making a mats v bravo comparison with regards to who has the tougher task at hand. i was only pointing out that bravo's performances against real, atletico, sevilla and the like were omitted.

God Serena

Debate has gone full retard mode lately, some valid points but isolated facts don't prove anything really for any of the GKs.

Bringing up valid points is going full retard, but only if it is to support the keeper you don't like. K.

I've seen a lot of stuff regarding planning for the future...do you see other areas in the team where management is planning for the future? Get Vidal out of the picture, he is there because of necessity.

Aren't you one of those who loves to go on about how different the goalkeeping position is to outfield positions when someone brings up Bravo's age? It's admittedly a better argument than age discrimination but at least try to stick to your guns. The other positions are replaceable. Finding another keeper on the level of either Bravo or Mats will be exceptionally difficult. Pay attention.

Barca is not in a transitioning period,

The notion that the future only matters to clubs in a transitioning period is false. Faaaaalse. Our entire fucking philosophy centers around looking towards the future. There's a reason we have chronic "Hype up the youngster" syndrome in this fanbase. You've probably only started plastering yourself to the team when Bravo joined but at least try to read up.

the only plan I see is to get quality players to level up the team around Messi until he leaves/retires.

Not sure what you've been watching. There are plenty of better options than Munir, Sandro, Adriano, Mathieu, Vermaelen, Roberto, Rafinha, (Before Lucho looked toward the future and gave them playing time when many people groaned, contrary to your stupid opinion) and even Aleix Vidal. Half of those players listed probably won't even be around by the time Messi turns 30, so I ask you, what plan?

The team is focused on getting as many trophies as possible but that doesn't start or stop with Messi. The absurd notion that we can't "Waste" his good years (We still won two major trophies with Mats in his first season so it's not like he's incompetent or anything) is a ridiculous rhetoric and one that I can't possibly be expected to take serious. We're the club that took forever to sell guys like Alexis Sanchez and Cesc and refuses to sell Adriano. We even hired Tata Martino to be our coach, lmao.

Observer

Banned
Bringing up valid points is going full retard, but only if it is to support the keeper you don't like. K.

So lost, watch some of the comments.

They derail from the GK performance argument just to make a definitive point regarding next season like we were on a crisis run or reached a deciding point from a club's perspective. If we are only speaking about GKs, that type of shit don't hold water & that goes for both of the keepers & keepers threads.

Aren't you one of those who loves to go on about how different the goalkeeping position is to outfield positions when someone brings up Bravo's age? It's admittedly a better argument than age discrimination but at least try to stick to your guns. The other positions are replaceable. Finding another keeper on the level of either Bravo or Mats will be exceptionally difficult. Pay attention.

DUH! Because they are (indifferent if someone brings up Bravo or someone else), just look at the top GK rankings and show me someone below 25-27. It's facts, not my opinion. Never went serghei mode to claim there was age discrimination, because I'd think ppl in this forum have the basic ability to evaluate performance based on GK performance not age (unless you are a stupid fanboy). Never said there was a need to find another keeper too, especially if both are performing great in their respective tasks. My only comment was directed at those ppl that are assuming management directives based on their immediate notion of the future (next season) v/s actual GK performance, not because its discriminatory but retarded from a managerial perspective to take a rushy bet given the amount of competitions Barca face (in any GK leaving scenario). Maybe take your own advice and pay attention, don't assume my words cuz it makes an ass out you & me.

The notion that the future only matters to clubs in a transitioning period is false. Faaaaalse. Our entire fucking philosophy centers around looking towards the future. There's a reason we have chronic "Hype up the youngster" syndrome in this fanbase. You've probably only started plastering yourself to the team when Bravo joined but at least try to read up.

Really? We are an academy base team like Ajax with only academy/young players in starting lineup of Liga & CL? Really? Have you seen the starting lineup? What is the average age of our last start up material hirings? Give me a break dude.

Not sure what you've been watching. There are plenty of better options than Munir, Sandro, Adriano, Mathieu, Vermaelen, Roberto, Rafinha, (Before Lucho looked toward the future and gave them playing time when many people groaned, contrary to your stupid opinion) and even Aleix Vidal. Half of those players listed probably won't even be around by the time Messi turns 30, so I ask you, what plan?

Where are those players? Sorry for my "stupid opinion" but I didnt particularly see Barca B players breaking out in the last years nor I saw success in the ones that broke previously and now are gone. If they are not in the academy Barca will look somewhere else. Now what's the average age of players that Barca is looking to fill the starting line up for the last years? And now, what has been the squad role given to young hirings from Barca academy & outside? That should give you a tip on how the management is taking planning in consideration. My comment was not an opinion on how it should be it was on how it currently is, whether you like it or not.

The team is focused on getting as many trophies as possible but that doesn't start or stop with Messi. The absurd notion that we can't "Waste" his good years (We still won two major trophies with Mats in his first season so it's not like he's incompetent or anything) is a ridiculous rhetoric and one that I can't possibly be expected to take serious.

Agree on the first comment but have no idea what Mats have to do in that. (One doesn't imply the other, Mats if faaaaaaaaaaaaar away from being incompetent). Either way, you have to admit that regardless of Barca's philosophy the planning (from an outside point of view) has been set to seize the majority of Leo's playtime and build an elite experienced team around HIM.

Last edited:

God Serena

So lost, watch some of the comments.

They derail from the GK performance argument just to make a definitive point regarding next season like we were on a crisis run or reached a deciding point from a club's perspective. If we are only speaking about GKs, that type of shit don't hold water & that goes for both of the keepers & keepers threads.

The seasons that follow after this one matter. That only seems retarded if you support the goalkeeper who time doesn't favor.

DUH! Because they are (indifferent if someone brings up Bravo or someone else), just look at the top GK rankings and show me someone below 25-27. It's facts, not my opinion. Never went serghei mode to claim there was age discrimination, because I'd think ppl in this forum have the basic ability to evaluate performance based on GK performance not age (unless you are a stupid fanboy). Never said there was a need to find another keeper too, especially if both are performing great in their respective tasks. My only comment was directed at those ppl that are assuming management directives based on their immediate notion of the future (next season) v/s actual GK performance, not because its discriminatory but retarded from a managerial perspective to take a rushy bet given the amount of competitions Barca face (in any GK leaving scenario). Maybe take your own advice and pay attention, don't assume my words cuz it makes an ass out you & me.

From a performance perspective Mats has proven himself to be a fantastic goalkeeper. We won both the Copa and the CL with Mats in goal. The risk you are talking about is roughly as big as when we made Bravo our starting keeper even after his abysmal pre-season. Given playing time consistently, every week, the gap between Bravo and Mats wouldn't even be as big as it is. The amount of playing time Bravo gets is often something you lot often like to play down or outright deny (lol) but it remains that it is a very major factor when discussing the supposed difference in quality.

I also wasn't saying you were screaming discrimination, lol. Just gotta take my shot at serghei's hilarious argument. I might even make it my siggy.

Really? We are an academy base team like Ajax with only academy/young players in starting lineup of Liga & CL? Really? Have you seen the starting lineup? What is the average age of our last start up material hirings? Give me a break dude.

We have a gigantic youth system known as "La Masia" that is constantly working towards building players for the first team. I never said anything about us only using youth players, you just assumed that. And like you said, that just makes an ass out of both of us, but you're the hole.

Where are those players? Sorry for my "stupid opinion" but I didnt particularly see Barca B players breaking out in the last years nor I saw success in the ones that broke previously and now are gone. If they are not in the academy Barca will look somewhere else. Now what's the average age of players that Barca is looking to fill the starting line up for the last years? And now, what has been the squad role given to young hirings from Barca academy & outside? That should give you a tip on how the management is taking planning in consideration. My comment was not an opinion on how it should be it was on how it currently is, whether you like it or not.

Just because we haven't had any talent break through in the recent years doesn't mean we aren't trying. There has been a shift since Pep left but that is more down to lack of quality from our young players, one that (As usual) will hopefully be remedied with the next crop of youngsters coming up. Just because we have many middle aged to older players doesn't mean we look don't care at all for the future. As I said before, our entire philosophy is based on building towards the future. You may only be here for Bravo but the club is much deeper than just the first team.

Agree on the first comment but have no idea what Mats have to do in that. (One doesn't imply the other, Mats if faaaaaaaaaaaaar away from being incompetent). Either way, you have to admit that regardless of Barca's philosophy the planning (from an outside point of view) has been set to seize the majority of Leo's playtime and build an elite experienced team around HIM.

The way you so fiercely argue that making Mats our league keeper would be a detriment to the team and a huge risk and blah blah blah suggests to me that you DO think he is incompetent, or at least sub-par. I'm going to BBZ you real quick so bear with me. There are two main arguments I see against Mats, and they are:

1) Mats isn't as good as Bravo and it'd be a huge risk
2) Bravo can play at the top level until he's XX years old so who cares if Mats isn't happy/leaves

Your argument at the moment is behind door #1. Any suggestion that he's not that bad or that he gets less playing time is most often glazed over or, in some cases, flat out denied. When paired with his great performances in the competitions he does play in that pokes a pretty huge hole in your narrative, so it's understandable that you lot would want to avoid that at any costs.

Even from your outside point of view it's absurd to think we're aiming for success purely because of Messi, as if aiming for success is something the club only started desiring in 2008 (Barca didn't win anything before Messi, don't let those idiot Cules tell you differently!) and will stop aiming for when he retires. Believe it or not, but the club doesn't live to serve Messi. He's our best player but the club isn't trying to be elite because we have him. That's just ridiculous.

Observer

Banned
The seasons that follow after this one matter. That only seems retarded if you support the goalkeeper who time doesn't favor.

There's a lot of players which time doesn't favor now & the past, I'm wondering if there was ever such a rush compared to GK talk & why. If it's for "Hype up the youngster syndrome in this fanbase", that's ok for us fans I guess. Management doesn't work that way.

From a performance perspective Mats has proven himself to be a fantastic goalkeeper. We won both the Copa and the CL with Mats in goal.

Don't think anyone in this forum denies that, and it works for both keepers as well.

The risk you are talking about is roughly as big as when we made Bravo our starting keeper even after his abysmal pre-season.

Abysmal for one dumb irrelevant goal vs Napoli? OK, then I guess the following clean sheet record was an OK response?

Given playing time consistently, every week, the gap between Bravo and Mats wouldn't even be as big as it is. The amount of playing time Bravo gets is often something you lot often like to play down or outright deny (lol) but it remains that it is a very major factor when discussing the supposed difference in quality.

And it also an opportunity to expose your flaws every week & out. There's 2 sides of the coin my friend, taking it & seize it speaks more in favor. If he woulda sucked, everyone woulda go Fabregas ape shit on him, and you lot did try during the first season until they realized there was nothing bad to say even from the day-1 haters. That's how he earned La Liga spot & that shit still stings for some. Using your one-side logic of viewing things I could use the "Mats play better teams in CL" flawed argument (Re: Group Stage teams) to support the fact he already plays enough matches against "tougher teams".

You may only be here for Bravo but the club is much deeper than just the first team.

Like the eleventh time you say that, suggest you look at the respective join date(s) & move on *lmfao.

The way you so fiercely argue that making Mats our league keeper would be a detriment to the team and a huge risk and blah blah blah suggests to me that you DO think he is incompetent, or at least sub-par.

You'd have to quote on me that because I dont recall. What I've always said is if Bravo is doing a good job he shouldn't be replaced, not for a bet at least.

I'm going to BBZ you real quick so bear with me. There are two main arguments I see against Mats, and they are:

1) Mats isn't as good as Bravo and it'd be a huge risk
2) Bravo can play at the top level until he's XX years old so who cares if Mats isn't happy/leaves

Your argument at the moment is behind door #1.

Stop you in that, already explained up. Never said that.

The risk is around one of the keepers leaving, if you go to Mats thread I agreed to switching roles if it benefits the team.

Even from your outside point of view it's absurd to think we're aiming for success purely because of Messi, as if aiming for success is something the club only started desiring in 2008 (Barca didn't win anything before Messi, don't let those idiot Cules tell you differently!) and will stop aiming for when he retires. Believe it or not, but the club doesn't live to serve Messi. He's our best player but the club isn't trying to be elite because we have him. That's just ridiculous.

That's all really nice & dandy and would be 100% correct in any other era scenario. Barca is perfectly capable of creating quality players in the future, but as any time in which you have a golden generation of players you tend to boost them with power signings, those power signings most of the times are not below 25 (Madrid's Galacticos anyone?). Is happening in Barca because of Messi and my comment was directed at the current scenario of things.

Last edited:

God Serena

Pre-assist!

Also, his ball distribution was great for entire match.

Not exactly a pre assist, it went to an Eibar player, but Roberto made a pass of it before it bounced.

But yes, his distribution was great. Much improved over what we're used to.

Home of Barca Fans