Claudio Bravo

God Serena

One match. Definitely indisputable evidence of his huge drop of form.

I could list the game against Valencia among several others where he failed to show up for us but that would hardly sway your opinion. He wasn't putting in the same performances that earned him such praise in the past year and a half, during 2016, and that's where his drop in form started.

And making 0 saves against Real Madrid really isn't something you can wave away as "One match".

LeeRomeno

Bad example. Buffon is the God of GKs. The Greatest GK of all time in my book. No GK, no matter how good could challenge him for the #1 spot as long as he was there. The fact that Buffon is heading into his 40s and is still on top level is no surprise at all. This is nothing like the Bravo's case, where he has a pretty much equaly good GK as his competition in the team who is also many years younger. What people trying to say here is that, MatS is now mature enough to take the #1 spot from now. There is no more need to keep benching him for Bravo and risk the chance that he might look for another club to play more regularly, if he keeps being considered as the second GK behind Bravo.

Rofl, i can post a list of 10+ great goalkeepers still playing on high level at their late 30s. My point is that for goalkeeper to be at the age of 33 means for him to play his best years. Mentioning that age as a sign of need to replace him makes no sense. It is quite common for goalkeepers to retire at 37-40, which means at 33-35 they are still on top level.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Rofl, i can post a list of 10+ great goalkeepers still playing on high level at their late 30s. My point is that for goalkeeper to be at the age of 33 means for him to play his best years. Mentioning that age as a sign of need to replace him makes no sense. It is quite common for goalkeepers to retire at 37-40, which means at 33-35 they are still on top level.

You'd have a bigger list of those who dropped their level with age.

LeeRomeno

You'd have a bigger list of those who dropped their level with age.

Sure, but we are talking about high quality goalkeeper here who shows no signs of dropping in form. Bravo is more or less synonymous of stable and reliable goalkeeper, who maybe is not mr.spectacular, but nevertheless gets the job done. Our defensive qualities have improved massively ever since he replaced Valdes who was even on his best days a loose cannon. So I see age being no factor in wanting to get rid of him. Especially as "he will get worse because he is 33" is just as guessing as "Ter Stegen" will stop making mistakes with regular gametime. What kind of sorcery is this forum, everyone predicting the future.

F

Flavia

Sure, but we are talking about high quality goalkeeper here who shows no signs of dropping in form. Bravo is more or less synonymous of stable and reliable goalkeeper, who maybe is not mr.spectacular, but nevertheless gets the job done. Our defensive qualities have improved massively ever since he replaced Valdes who was even on his best days a loose cannon. So I see age being no factor in wanting to get rid of him. Especially as "he will get worse because he is 33" is just as guessing as "Ter Stegen" will stop making mistakes with regular gametime. What kind of sorcery is this forum, everyone predicting the future.
And you speak as if mats is some kind of terrible, no quality gk. When in reality they're pretty much on the same level. Both make mistakes, too. But Bravo also lost seven matches from injuries last season. What's best for to club is to keep both, but mats won't be staying here with the current setup. Switching their roles shouldn't be much of an issue.

LeeRomeno

And you speak as if mats is some kind of terrible, no quality gk. When in reality they're pretty much on the same level. Both make mistakes, too. But Bravo also lost seven matches from injuries last season. What's best for to club is to keep both, but mats won't be staying here with the current setup. Switching their roles shouldn't be much of an issue.

No what i am saying is that i believe at current stage Bravo is more stable, more vocal and more of a leader type of a goalkeeper and squad needs that kind of guy in the back. I am not questioning if Ter Stegen could be at some day better than him. I believe he is better with his feet, has probably better physical skills and great libero-effect to play as Neuer for Bayern, aka last defender. But what he lacks at the moment is control of his area, instructing the defenders and overall experience on top level. If Bravo agrees to play the CL role, then fine, 2 great goalkeepers are always better than 1 and i believe older experienced goalkeeper can keep himself on top even with less games,
But i also believe that based on last season, if we had to choose between the 2, i would stick with Bravo and send Ter Stegen on a loan or sell with buyback or anything similar instead of suddenly trusting him as main keeper and getting rid of Bravo, as Bravo does not deserve that and what we need in next 2 years is our strongest possible lineup to finally break the CL curse until our 30ish roster starts declining and it is time turn into future.

Behrox

No what i am saying is that i believe at current stage Bravo is more stable, more vocal and more of a leader type of a goalkeeper and squad needs that kind of guy in the back. I am not questioning if Ter Stegen could be at some day better than him. I believe he is better with his feet, has probably better physical skills and great libero-effect to play as Neuer for Bayern, aka last defender. But what he lacks at the moment is control of his area, instructing the defenders and overall experience on top level. If Bravo agrees to play the CL role, then fine, 2 great goalkeepers are always better than 1 and i believe older experienced goalkeeper can keep himself on top even with less games,
But i also believe that based on last season, if we had to choose between the 2, i would stick with Bravo and send Ter Stegen on a loan or sell with buyback or anything similar instead of suddenly trusting him as main keeper and getting rid of Bravo, as Bravo does not deserve that and what we need in next 2 years is our strongest possible lineup to finally break the CL curse until our 30ish roster starts declining and it is time turn into future.

Experience at the top level? 3 seasons with Gladbach in the Bundesliga, 2 seasons with Barcelona in the CL in which he won 1 of them not to mention the 2 Copa Del Reys. I can't understand the logic behind making MaTS look like a B-team rotation player and making Bravo the 2nd coming of Lev Yashin. Truth of the matter is Bravo and MaTS are at the same level, Bravo is older, MaTS has a higher ceiling and potential which can only be achieved through regular play time

Last edited:

LeeRomeno

Experience at the top level? 3 seasons with Gladbach in the Bundesliga, 2 seasons with Barcelona in the CL in which he won 1 of them not to mention the 2 Copa Del Reys. I can't understand the logic behind making MaTS look like a B-team rotation player and making Bravo the 2nd coming of Lev Yashin. Truth of the matter is Bravo and MaTS are at the same level, Bravo is older, MaTS has a higher ceiling and potential which can only be achieved through regular play time

Goalkeepers are in their top shape around their 30s up until 35 or so, they need alot of minutes to really understand and lead the game from the back, physical shape (and youthfulness) is not really that important as long as you know what you are doing.
If you are not blind, then comparing Ter Stegens and Bravos games will show you, that they are clearly not on same level, especially when you analyze the mistakes they make. And who are you to forecast the truth of what will happen if Ter Stegen gets more gametime. Maybe he will choke alot, that will ruin his confidence and everyone will remember the awful choice of letting go a great goalkeeper, who played big part in making our defense work so much better instead of taking a chance on someone new while what squad needs most is stability in that area.

Behrox

Mate, if he didn't choke in the Cl final, he ain't gonna choke in the league.
+1 I didn't reply to the previous comment cause I got tired of the constant unproven, inexperienced, bla bla bla. He won a CL in his first season at a new club in a new country while not getting any semblance of consistent play time, plus he was surely not the reason we were unable to win another the next season

God Serena

Goalkeepers are in their top shape around their 30s up until 35 or so, they need alot of minutes to really understand and lead the game from the back, physical shape (and youthfulness) is not really that important as long as you know what you are doing.
If you are not blind, then comparing Ter Stegens and Bravos games will show you, that they are clearly not on same level, especially when you analyze the mistakes they make. And who are you to forecast the truth of what will happen if Ter Stegen gets more gametime. Maybe he will choke alot, that will ruin his confidence and everyone will remember the awful choice of letting go a great goalkeeper, who played big part in making our defense work so much better instead of taking a chance on someone new while what squad needs most is stability in that area.

Mats could win the fucking double every single season and you Bravo fanboys would still say this same nonsense. You are seriously acting like the league is sooo much harder than the CL and Copa, but Bravo's 2016 performances were nowhere near the level we'd require in our knockout rounds.

LeeRomeno

You are talking as if he's a brand new signing. He's been at Barca just as long as Bravo and played almost 50 games for us.

For a reason

Mats could win the fucking double every single season and you Bravo fanboys would still say this same nonsense. You are seriously acting like the league is sooo much harder than the CL and Copa, but Bravo's 2016 performances were nowhere near the level we'd require in our knockout rounds.

Why on earth do you think i am someones fanboy? I care about the success of the club and individual stories do not matter to me at all and to get rid of a goalkeeper who has played an important part of our back to back titles because he is 33 years old is just fcking idiotic. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Bravos performances in 2016 and as shown in Copa America final he is on top shape.
I am very sure that our coaching staff are by far smarter than anyone on this forum and if they trust Bravo in goal, there must be a reason for it. So if you want to call someone a fanboy, call yourself.

F

Flavia

Why on earth do you think i am someones fanboy? I care about the success of the club and individual stories do not matter to me at all and to get rid of a goalkeeper who has played an important part of our back to back titles because he is 33 years old is just fcking idiotic. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Bravos performances in 2016 and as shown in Copa America final he is on top shape.
I am very sure that our coaching staff are by far smarter than anyone on this forum and if they trust Bravo in goal, there must be a reason for it. So if you want to call someone a fanboy, call yourself.
Since you quoted me about the 33 years old part, I have to say I don't want to get rid of Bravo. I don't think most here do, anyway. Some just want them to switch roles. One can give the club 10+ years, the other won't have all this time. It's easy to see what is best for the club, and not the players.

Home of Barca Fans