Claudio Bravo

God Serena

How would someone be watching Barca B and thinking that Suarez is a better back up for the first team than Masip !

Because I've seen Masip with the first team and know there's almost no chance he'd be able to perform in the Copa, while Suarez may or may not have a chance.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Because unlike outfield players who can get subbed in and rotated, the same doesn't apply to goalkeepers. It's a position that needs stability. And no competition like this is going to last in a team. GKs can't get subbed on or rotated every other game. You either play or you don't. Any ambitious, good player won't sit on the bench for an extended time.

It's like it's always been and always will. Teams can have good backups, but no team will be able to keep two very good or WC GKs together for long just because of that.

Barcilliant

Because unlike outfield players who can get subbed in and rotated, the same doesn't apply to goalkeepers. It's a position that needs stability. And no competition like this is going to last in a team. GKs can't get subbed on or rotated every other game. You either play or you don't. Any ambitious, good player won't sit on the bench for an extended time.

It's like it's always been and always will. Teams can have good backups, but no team will be able to keep two very good or WC GKs together for long just because of that.

Neither Bravo nor TS have stamped their authority. Both are very good keepers but putting them in the World class category is impossible.
If Neuer orDe gea were here there would be no debate over the starting position.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Neither Bravo nor TS have stamped their authority. Both are very good keepers but putting them in the World class category is impossible.
If Neuer orDe gea were here there would be no debate over the starting position.

I'd argue they are, or at the very least on the brink of it.

Neither De Gea or Neuer had competition like this and the former struggled a lot in his first year, but started getting better and better.

But the point still stands. Even in West Ham you won't see two decent GKs staying at the team for long to compete with each other. One will leave. That's how the GK position is.

You have one starter and one backup and 3rd GK. Barca have two starters and this day was always going to come where the club might have to choose one of them.

serghei

Bravo and Stegen are world class. Bravo is a bit better, but it's close enough to not matter as much who we choose. I'm hoping Stegen's big errors are past him now.

De Gea and Neuer are overrated in comparison with other great keepers I think. The difference is not that big.

Last edited:

Nucky

Bravo and Stegen are world class. Bravo is a bit better, but it's close enough to not matter as much who we choose. I'm hoping Stegen's big errors are past him now.

De Gea and Neuer are overrated in comparison with other great keepers I think. The difference is not that big.

Sorry but DDG and Neuer are far from overrated.. United wouldn't see Europa League without DDG, he saved their ass countless times in the last 3 seasons.. I always wanted him in Barca (DDG).. Neuer well he is probably TOP 3 GK in the world right now.. He was class while still in Schalke, now he is even better..

Garrus

There is no competition in our GK position, Giving a fixed amount of games to each GK is against the concept of competition, It's like giving Rafhinia and denis fixed minutes throughout the season and calling it competition, What?, It doesn't make sense.
The most key aspect in competing is the idea of 'no guaranteed playing time', One spot and only one can take it, The best one will, That's how you get the most of out of your players, Giving a player a soft cushion of guaranteed minutes goes against that.

Barcilliant

LoL overrated!?

You must be joking. If it wasn't for De Gea Utd would have finished 8 th. Neuer has countless times saved Bayern too.

serghei

LoL overrated!?

You must be joking. If it wasn't for De Gea Utd would have finished 8 th. Neuer has countless times saved Bayern too.

So did Bravo. If it wasn't for Bravo Argentina would be South American champion now. I said De Gea and Neuer are overrated "in comparison with other great keepers".

Saying they saved their teams countless times is also true for the majority of great keepers. Bravo vs Real Madrid in that 4-0 win was one of the best performances for any keeper last season for example. Plenty of examples for Ter Stegen also.

And what about Navas, had several games in which he single handedly kept Madrid in the game almost.

Last edited:

Icarium

Lifestealer
Whatever you guys say going with Mats and Masip as our only goalkeepers is a nightmare waiting to happen. We should not sell either of them for anything below their release clause. And if we do sell Bravo we should sign a decent replacement.

Home of Barca Fans