Claudio Bravo

Catta

His relationship with Marc-Andre ter Stegen quickly deteriorated. The repeated statements of the German claiming that he wanted more playing time in La Liga and even threatening to leave Barça if Luis Enrique didn't meet his demands was never liked by Bravo. Explanations for Ter Stegen's standpoint were sought and the 33-year-old's discomfort became apparent.
Enrique, true to his management policy, never guaranteed the no.1 spot to either Ter Stegen or Bravo. However, Bravo was convinced that Ter Stegen was slowly jostling his way to become the club's firm first-choice goalkeeper.

Great professionalism by ter Stegen, whine until they make you the first choice. He could not prove on the pitch that he was better so he whined to the board. I'm disappointed in Barca if this is true.

Trickykid

Great professionalism by ter Stegen, whine until they make you the first choice. He could not prove on the pitch that he was better so he whined to the board. I'm disappointed in Barca if this is true.

Yeah, because that's totally Lucho's style - caving in because of his players "whining".

FC B

Personally I see this as a lot of BS from Sport.

And for all people complaining - geting 20M for 33 yo GK with 2-3 good years ahead of him while keeping younger MATS who can be our #1 for the next decade is a great deal. Had Bravo stayed and got relegated to #2 role we'd be lucky to get 10M next summer. Or if their roles would stay unchanged we'd have to sell MATS as it would be impossible to keep both of them for more than another season and then we'd need to look for and very possible overpay for another GK in 2-3 years when Bravo would be gone as well.

Yes, I'm sad to see Bravo gone but longterm keeping MATS over him is the right decision and we also decide to sell at the right time. Instead of complaining about Pep poaching our players we should be happy that City will pay for Bravo what they will. Bravo's price would be only going down from here if he stayed. Yes, we could get more for him and other clubs probably would but we were never a selling club and Pep knows that the best so it would be unrealistic to expect us getting 25 or 30M for him.

Buying Cillessen for 13M or whatever has absolutely nothing to do with this. He's not Bravo's replacement, MATS is.

Cant have it all ways.

He had two years left on a contract at 33 with a great back up. He would only really be worth a big new contract if going to be the No.1 keeper which from that article it says it was not heading that way.

Money alone would unlikely made him happy to be the back up anyway as its only one of the things he was looking for when could get BOTH at City.

The whole Bravo signing and sale has been great business by the club and City are probably over paying for him all things considered.

Cillessen is most likely being signed to play a lesser back up for Ter Stegens role and Ter Stegen is replacing Bravo.

Firstly, Stegen needs to be consistent in all competitions and we yet have to see if he can do that...

The rumoured fee for Bravo's departure is 16m and 4m in variables. So they let an absolutely world class keeper like Bravo to go for 16m and buy a replacement for the yet not fully proven Stegen in the person of the mediocre Cillessen who costs 13m ?:facepalm:

Just imagine Stegen picking up a serious injury before a decisive CL knockout round or even before a Clasico or a red card. In the goal of Barca will be no other than Cillessen.
They at least could have targeted a better keeper, there are quite a few out there and most importantly of all, you do not let your number one choice keeper leaving the club just a few days short of the transfer window closing and hastlily buy some mediocre radom keeper that you can find in the very limited time you got left...
That is what I call total dumbness from any board!

Such a club like Barca cannot be run by a bunch of amateurs, they are making weakening it with every shit decision like this..

Last edited:

George_Costanza

Firstly, Stegen needs to be consistent in all competitions and we yet have to see if he can do that...

sorry but he was consistent in UCL and CDR, that's more than enough unless you wanted Bravo to be benched in Liga too. If he wasn't consistent then Lucho would have played Bravo in UCL & CDR. The problem was both of them are good so they have to split duties.

Trickykid

The rumoured fee for Bravo's departure is 16m and 4m in variables. So they let an absolutely world class keeper like Bravo to go for 16m and buy a replacement for the yet not fully proven Stegen in the person of the mediocre Cillessen who costs 13m ?:facepalm:

Just imagine Stegen picking up a serious injury before a decisive CL knockout round or even before a Clasico or a red card. In the goal of Barca will be no other than Cillessen.
They at least could have targeted a better keeper, there are quite a few out there and most importantly of all, you do not let your number one choice keeper leaving the club just a few days short of the transfer window closing and hastlily buy some mediocre radom keeper that you can find in the very limited time you got left...

Such a club like Barca cannot be run by a bunch of amateurs, they are making weakening it with every shit decision like this..

Boo-fucking-hoo is all I hear here.

Unzue struck gold with Bravo, and until anything else is proven, I'll trust his opinion on Cillessen over you.

Lastly, our setup for the last seasons with two WC keepers is pretty much unique to modern football. Please do tell me the amazing keepers that our direct competitors for the league and ChL will field in case of an injury to their first pick?
Cillessen seems more than good enough for a second keeper role here.

JamDav1982

You are living in a fantasy world regarding fees for goal keepers.

Neuer was considered one of if not the best in the world and went for far less than other fairly average players at the time. Bravo is not considered the best in the world and is 33.

The club have done brilliantly to get Bravo on board, get two good years out of him and sell for a profit at 33 when the manager has decided he is no longer first choice.

Tell me how the club should have approached the situation....

JamDav1982

He didnt 'whine until first choice' he made it clear he wasnt happy with the situation and his playing time which is his right to do.

The club had the option then to sell him or make him first choice if they dont want to keep an unhappy player.

He did nothing wrong at all and players do the same type thing all the time to protect their own positions.

How is Bravo being not prepared to be second choice any different?

JamDav1982

Lmao at the guys listening to the tabloid-risqué reporting a from Sport.

Happens all the time.

People take as fact any tabloid story that suits them and any that doesnt is written off.

In this case would guess it is true ....Ter Stegen wanted change to situation, Bravo wanted to be first choice and more money.

All makes sense and neither did anything wrong.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Oh my God the whining! This was always gonna happen, very surprising that it even existed for 2 seasons straight and we won a treble and a double! For one, ter Stegen would have never signed for us if he were prior informed that he would be a second choice keeper! The fact that he signed for us and also then agreed to be our second choice keeper and there was no bad blood for 2 seasons straight is actually a testimony to his professionalism! And we being so professional started calling him a whiny bitch by looking at a tabloid, bravo (pun intended) :yes:

And even if he indeed did start whining, there was nothing specially wrong with his professionalism either! He is a goal keeper for crying out loud and they don't have the luxury that outfielders do with rotation!

Last edited:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
There are probably aspects of the story that are true but most of the story has likely been embellished.
Exactly.... It is that Sport who had wet dreams about Courtois and started targeting tre Stegen right from the moment he was chosen over the Belgian!

Mandrake

Sport says the reasons behind his departure :

Man, if true, Barca should have met his financial demands, how can you refuse to pay well such a great playing keeper ?! Your nr.1 keeper for the god's sake ?!
It's beyond me how stupid Barca's management and Fartomeu are...
It seems the main reason for his move to City. In other words Barca wasn't capable of holding it's best keeper, lets him go and brings that freaking Cillessen:facepalm:

Damn, that Sport story sounds familiar. Who would have ever thought something like that to be true 🤔

Home of Barca Fans