Votes: 0 0.0%
  • USA

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Birdy

Argentina had a huge advantage psychologically going into this and both teams knew it before hand. Colombia, as good as they were playing as a team(they’re aware) knew argentina is a different beast. It was Colombia also that wanted to rely on fouls to injure key players to gain advantage. Whatever it takes to win. I freaking hated seeing colombian friends of mine condone what they were doing because the win was all that matters, but were crying when uruguay did it.

Argentina were more class in their management of game and also the fans.
Happy with result.

Painful to watch Shakira and karol g perform. They made it seem this was played in Colombia. Those are morale boosts for colombia but argentina didn’t seem to care.

Having said all this, love how Colombia is approaching the game generally. Most fluid team when they do manage to play like they want to. Some class players. Like Lucho and Rios and James a lot. Colombia will be fun to watch on WC like they have been past wc’s when present. Can see a lot of people get behind them.

Having watched game until min. 70' or so when I couldn't keep myself awake anymore,
I have to say that Colombia lacked something important in the final third: individual quality

They were great in making their bombing runs that unsettles defence, suffocating pressing that won then possession, etc.
but when the ball was close or around Argentina's box, they lacked the quality to make a good chance out of it. Diaz and James who were the only ones able to do it were neutralized

Flip side:
Argentina on the other hand did not create a lot, but the few times they were close or around the box, they had the individual quality (be it Alvarez, Mc Allister, Enzo, even di Maria or Messi) to make a good final ball/cross and create a chance out of it

Horatio

You're welcome
Having watched game until min. 70' or so when I couldn't keep myself awake anymore,
I have to say that Colombia lacked something important in the final third: individual quality

They were great in making their bombing runs that unsettles defence, suffocating pressing that won then possession, etc.
but when the ball was close or around Argentina's box, they lacked the quality to make a good chance out of it. Diaz and James who were the only ones able to do it were neutralized

Flip side:
Argentina on the other hand did not create a lot, but the few times they were close or around the box, they had the individual quality (be it Alvarez, Mc Allister, Enzo, even di Maria or Messi) to make a good final ball/cross and create a chance out of it
Disagree my friend. Colombia actually does have good finishers. Richard, James, Luis Diaz, Munoz(ok he was suspended) amongst a few more. Theyre decent from set pieces as well. I just think a lot comes down to how argentina positioned themselves and then you have romero and lisandro as your cbs. And psychologically arg had great edge.

A country without finishers would be Uruguay. Colombia actually has a very potent attack generally. Didn’t they win 22 in a row or something?

I think colombias biggest chance was when they hit the post 5 minutes into game. After that don’t remember. They tried twice from distance. Think mojica only crossed twice from flanks but easily defended.
Ah there was also shot that lisandro blocked.
It was Argentina with biggest chances even in first half and they were not even playing their best.

If you have longer highlights do share.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

So who do we hand the Ballon? There's literally nobody better than Messi yet. It's not that Messi has been incredible in his old age, but there's literally nobody among the young lads that are better.

Maradona37

So who do we hand the Ballon? There's literally nobody better than Messi yet. It's not that Messi has been incredible in his old age, but there's literally nobody among the young lads that are better.
Rodri feels like the most deserving contender. He's been consistently brilliant at club level, and was the top man in a team that successfully won an international tournament too. His impact for Man City and Spain clearly elevates those teams to what they are not quite when he isn't playing (yes I know Spain played well without him in the second half of the final, but in general I mean).

He deserves to be rewarded for his overall impact on games.

ajnotkeith

He plays in America, he forfeits any right to the Ballon Dor with that.

It's season by season and playing in MLS you don't have enough proof to win it.

Gnidrologist

Okay, but individually he's still better than anybody. It's just poor show for young lads. Even Bapp, who was supposed to be the young leader of the pack, has been dissappointing for both club and NT.

Maradona37

He plays in America, he forfeits any right to the Ballon Dor with that.

It's season by season and playing in MLS you don't have enough proof to win it.
Yeah, the exception being of course when he won the World Cup, then moved to Miami.

He wasn't particularly special for PSG that season, and he did well at Miami at a poorer level than Europe. However, the World Cup takes precedence and he was brilliant in it, hence still deserved the award.

He was nowhere near as good in this year's Copa, so shouldn't win it this year.

But based on talent, he's still the most talented player in the world. He will be the most talented player in the world even when he retires. But it isn't about talent, it's about who's currently the best performer.

Like I say though, I don't even support the award as I dislike individual awards in team sports.

Maradona37

Okay, but individually he's still better than anybody. It's just poor show for young lads. Even Bapp, who was supposed to be the young leader of the pack, has been dissappointing for both club and NT.
He will always be individually better than everyone, because he's Messi and one of the two most talented players of all time, in my opinion.

The thing is that his ageing and being way past prime means he can no longer showcase that talent to its fullest, and allows less talented but younger and 'coming towards prime or in prime' players to perform better than he currently can, over the time period of a year.

Obviously, in one off-games, his top level is still above anyone's, though. Cos he's Messi.

ajnotkeith

Football is changing. They don't allow individuality at youth levels anymore. It's about passing and moving and constantly running, taking as few touches as possible, give and go etc.

More and more we are going to see that there are very few individually talented players going forward. The modern game is about athleticism and movement and most coaches are telling their players not to take more than a few touches.

The likes of Mbappe, Bellingham etc being the top players are a product of that system. Their skillsets are best suited to pass and move type football with few touches and running all the time.

khaled_a_d

Vinicius is getting it for sure.
Since 2008, only Messi won it outside of RM players, and they have just won league + CL double and he was the star of the show. Copa will be meaningless in the race.
Euro could have tilted the vote if an original contender won it (Bellingham or Mbappe) but this didn't happen.

Home of Barca Fans