Cristian Tello

Ursegor

World Champion
A premium has to be placed on cantera players who have fought as hard as Tello has to succeed at the club, can't be marginalized...Players with big price tags can never give to the club what a cantera player who will play their socks off for you can

He should try harder and tell his agent to STFU then. The club has offered him a first team contract. Now it's on him to accept it or not. The whole thing is going on for months now. If it fails because of money issues it's his problem, frankly spoken. Non cantera players like Alexis and Mascherano with much higher reputations have accepted pay cuts to play for Barcelona, refused the likes of Man. $ity and they are working as hard, if not harder than our cantera players. So I don't see a problem there.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
He should try harder and tell his agent to STFU then. The club has offered him a first team contract. Now it's on him to accept it or not. The whole thing is going on for months now. If it fails because of money issues it's his problem, frankly spoken. Non cantera players like Alexis and Mascherano with much higher reputations have accepted pay cuts to play for Barcelona, refused the likes of Man. $ity and they are working as hard, if not harder than our cantera players. So I don't see a problem there.

You can't have it both ways...You can't value a player who clearly values the club but simultaneously hold them to a high transfer fee but lower salary

It's highly unlikely that Tello would be on a salary comparable to Alexis or Mascherano, you're deluding yourself if you think otherwise

No one works harder than the cantera players, particularly those who were once deemed surplus to needs yet come back to the B team rather than accept first team football elsewhere...It's apples & oranges

Nestor

okey thanks guys ! Yeah i know that we have to sell som attackers to make place for new ones but i think that we have to get better in getting paid for our talents that are leaving! Its hard to know which one/ones i wont to leave but with gerard and maybe neymar(little bit worried about the work in defence) joining A-squad next year atleast 2 have to leave and the only 2 who is safe is offcourse messi and for me pedro.In my mind that leaves the decision between villa,alexis,cuenca,tello and affelay ... cuenca was a favourite last year and with a little more muscels he might be a monster we have to wait and se how he develops this spring

Ursegor

World Champion
You can't have it both ways...You can't value a player who clearly values the club but simultaneously hold them to a high transfer fee but lower salary

Mate. € 20 million is a very low buyout clause already. Thiago has a € 90 million buyout clause for example. Anything lower than € 20 million wouldn't make any sense since it would fall below his actual market price (which should be around € 12). Also the buyout clause is just a formality anyway. If Tello wanted to leave, the club wouldn't hold him hostage. Cuenca also has a € 20 million buyout clause. So I guess Tello would earn as much as Cuenca. So why is it not a problem with Cuenca (who's more talented by the way) but Tello?

It's highly unlikely that Tello would be on a salary comparable to Alexis or Mascherano, you're deluding yourself if you think otherwise

Of course not. Mascherano arrived with the reputation to be one of the best pure defensive midfielders in world football and Alexis as the Serie A player of the year who was chased by every club in the world (Inter, United, City). According to the Udinese owner City offered him twice as much money as Barcelona did but Alexis only wanted Barcelona. Point being: They could have earned much more money elsewhere. Money wasn't the priority for them however. Mascherano paid part of his own transfer fee to wear the Blaugrana colours. While our cantera player is on a die-hard negotiation trip. Tello should get the same contract as Cuenca. No more, no less. If he doesn't like it, he can go to Liverpool or Milan or wherever he wants. It's not as if he's got the potential to become a world beater anyway. He's just offering us something different style-wise (pace and directness) but Deulofeu will do that as well and much more. Gerard is benching and outperforming Tello for the Spanish U21 already despite being 3 years younger. Not to mention Neymar.

No one works harder than the cantera players, particularly those who were once deemed surplus to needs yet come back to the B team rather than accept first team football elsewhere...It's apples & oranges

Mascherano works harder than Pique. Alexis works harder than any of our forwards bar Pedro. Eto'o was the best #9 this club has had since Ronaldo with the proper workrate to boot. Deco was well known for his workrate. Etc. etc. etc. It's a matter of attitude. Not the youth team you grew up in.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Mate. € 20 million is a very low buyout clause already. Thiago has a € 90 million buyout clause for example. Anything lower than € 20 million wouldn't make any sense since it would fall below his actual market price (which should be around € 12). Also the buyout clause is just a formality anyway. If Tello wanted to leave, the club wouldn't hold him hostage. Cuenca also has a € 20 million buyout clause. So I guess Tello would earn as much as Cuenca. So why is it not a problem with Cuenca (who's more talented by the way) but Tello?

If it indeed is €20 million, you're leaping from rumours to fact - that's a perilous position to argue from

And if it indeed is over the transfer fee number, a high fee and a lower salary means the player is stuck at a low salary slot with no leverage to improve it until the club deems fit...That's not smart for any player

It's debatable in terms of who is more talented and speculative in terms of either of their contracts

Of course not. Mascherano arrived with the reputation to be one of the best pure defensive midfielders in world football and Alexis as the Serie A player of the year who was chased by every club in the world (Inter, United, City). According to the Udinese owner City offered him twice as much money as Barcelona did but Alexis only wanted Barcelona. Point being: They could have earned much more money elsewhere. Money wasn't the priority for them however. Mascherano paid part of his own transfer fee to wear the Blaugrana colours. While our cantera player is on a die-hard negotiation trip. Tello should get the same contract as Cuenca. No more, no less. If he doesn't like it, he can go to Liverpool or Milan or wherever he wants. It's not as if he's got the potential to become a world beater anyway. He's just offering us something different style-wise (pace and directness) but Deulofeu will do that as well and much more. Gerard is benching and outperforming Tello for the Spanish U21 already despite being 3 years younger. Not to mention Neymar.

Your points are immaterial to the discussion that was ongoing...Taking less out of a transfer fee for big name players like Alexis or Mascherano, while admirable, does not equate to a low salary - which Tello is likely to still be on

There's a reason they call it negotiations, the player obviously wants to be here otherwise he wouldn't have turned down more money or first team footy elsewhere to return where he was once deemed surplus...I would imagine he wants to be treated fairly which is his right and considering everything he has said in public and to the press echoes that and wanting to be at the club reflects you barking up the wrong tree

Mascherano works harder than Pique. Alexis works harder than any of our forwards bar Pedro. Eto'o was the best #9 this club has had since Ronaldo with the proper workrate to boot. Deco was well known for his workrate. Etc. etc. etc. It's a matter of attitude. Not the youth team you grew up in.

Piqué was never deemed surplus to needs at the club...Mascherano has a history of changing allegiances so hardly a case in point...Samu, similar, despite a great work ethic...Deco and Ronaldo are poor examples but you'd know that if you followed the club for more than a few seasons

You're following the wrong club if you're unfamiliar with the ethos of cantera players at this club much less those who show dedication to return when once deemed surplus...Why do you think players like Leo, Iniesta, Victor, Xavi & Puyol are held in such esteem at the club?

Hard workers like Masch & Samu are also hallmarks for the club as history has shown with greats like Cruyff that form the fabric of blaugrana spirit...But it is predicated on the cantera players

Ursegor

World Champion
The "ethos of Cantera players" has started to bear fruit only since 2008. Not before. And maybe (most likely if history is anything to go by) not again after this generation. It's only been 6 years when the team won its second ever CL final with only 3 cantera players in the starting XI (you can tell me how many Cantera players we had in 1992). One of them being Oleguer. But you'd know that if you followed the club for more than a few seasons. So let's not twist history as if this club is the bastion of youth success first and foremost just because we've been lucky enough to have produced 3 greats in Messi, Xavi and Iniesta most recently. And in Tello's case I don't even see the relevance of him being a cantanero or not, giving him special treatment or keeping him at all cost, since he's not even among the most talented wingers in the Spanish U21 team, let alone Spain, let alone Europe, let alone world football (which should be a requirement to play for this Barcelona team). The only reason mediocre talents like Tello are breaking into the first team right now is because the rest of the team is dominant enough to cover his weaknesses and perfectly utilise his few strenghts (and of course because he's Catalan, if his name was Jonathan dos Tellos, we'd get rid and buy some mediocre Arsenal player instead). Utility player. And as such he's getting offered utility player's wages. In a less dominant era players like Tello would never stand out in Barcelona. You put Messi, Xavi and Iniesta in a Liverpool shirt and Sterling will look 10 times the player that Tello is. You put Messi, Xavi, Iniesta in a Milan shirt and El Shaarawy will look 10 times the player that Tello is (he does even now tbf). You put MXI in an Arsenal shirt and Chamberlain will ... Get the point? There is a gulf in class between Tello and Götze and Reus for example. The latter 2 are turning into star players for one of the best national teams of this era, scoring goals in the Bernabeu. Tello isn't even starting for the Spanish youth teams, having 2 tricks in his locker: making byline runs coming on as a sub against tired legs and aiming for the far post. Difference between world class talents carrying their teams and mediocre talents being carried by their teams right there.

It's one thing to admire youth work. It's another to live in a La Masia bubble full of hardworking and humble "next Messis", "next Xavis" and "next Puyols".

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Like I said, you haven't really been paying attention to what the club is about nevermind lacking much in the way of scouting talent to deem Tello mediocre...Barcelona doesn't keep mediocre talent on the first team...70% of the current squad, from the cantera - you know little of this club

As for 'special treatment' with Tello, it has nothing to do with him being just a cantera player...He's a cantera player who was sent packing, worked on his game elsewhere and rebuffed first team football at other clubs all to come back to the B team at Barcelona...From there, he earned his promotion...No big transfer is going to work harder for you then a kid like that

Your lack of logic in comparing a cantera player to that of a high priced signing is laughable...Even if you could find a player 10 times the talent that Tello or any other cantera player, it will end up costing the club closer to 40 times what it would to keep one of their own...Again, the philosophy of the club which you still fail to comprehend

Ursegor

World Champion
As for 'special treatment' with Tello, it has nothing to do with him being just a cantera player...He's a cantera player who was sent packing, worked on his game elsewhere and rebuffed first team football at other clubs all to come back to the B team at Barcelona...From there, he earned his promotion...No big transfer is going to work harder for you then a kid like that

I really don't know why you keep repeating this. He's played for Espanyol's B team and returned to Barcelona B after they got relegated to the 4th division. Then he got lucky to get game time in the first team after Villa broke his leg and Sanchez spent half the season injured ... showing little in terms of game intelligence, passing and overall play but lots of speed and directness which could make him a useful utility and squad player in this system and that's it. He didn't sacrifice a nailed on career with Manchester United to return to Barcelona, performed miracles and thus reached some legend status within Barcelona which ensured him a first team contract with a big salary now. But, wait ... I don't get the club's philosophy, right? Right.

Barcelona doesn't keep mediocre talent on the first team...

Let's wait a couple more seasons and then draw a final conclusion on Tello's future AFTER we spend big bucks on Neymar and Deulofeu gets promoted, shall we? Because we'll definitely not see Neymar, Sanchez, Pedro, Villa, Cuenca, Tello and Deulofeu occupying 2 positions. DEFINITELY not. I personally can already guess who'll get axed besides Villa. You can make your own guesses.

P

PhilS

His agent wants a lower buyout clause than € 20 million apparantly because the agent thinks that it's too high for his current wages aka they want more money. Wouldn't be too sad if we lost him. Once Neymar arrives and Deulofeu gets promoted, we'll have to sell half of our current forward line anyway: Messi, Neymar, Pedro, Deulofeu, Cuenca is probably what we'll end up with come 2014.

Not what I'm advocating by the way. Just what I think will happen.

Interesting prediction, could happen. One forward who is not yet ready to play big minutes, like Deulofeu, would help the mix, the team tends to have at least one very young forward. I don't know that Cuenca is more likely to stay than Villa or Tello. Alexis will need to do better the rest of this year, I still think he can be a near-ideal Barca side forward if he can just score a bit more.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
The logic that the cantera products provide more work rate than the outsiders is flawed... You don't see Messi doing much running around lately for example!!

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I really don't know why you keep repeating this. He's played for Espanyol's B team and returned to Barcelona B after they got relegated to the 4th division.

Apparently worth repeating yet another time...Pochettino offered him first team football at Asspanyol which he rejected to go to Barcelona's B team...Who rejects first team footy to go to segunda?...A determined kid, that's who

Then he got lucky to get game time in the first team after Villa broke his leg and Sanchez spent half the season injured ... showing little in terms of game intelligence, passing and overall play but lots of speed and directness which could make him a useful utility and squad player in this system and that's it.

Again, fortunately you aren't a Barcelona scout...At this rate anyone who does well at a well oiled machine like Barcelona must be down to luck :rolleyes:

He didn't sacrifice a nailed on career with Manchester United to return to Barcelona, performed miracles and thus reached some legend status within Barcelona which ensured him a first team contract with a big salary now. But, wait ... I don't get the club's philosophy, right? Right.

Players who are deemed surplus to need at their dream club, where they started out and then go on to do well at a rival club to win promotion yet comes back to the former club at their lower division side?...You should look up the term sacrifice, señor

Let's wait a couple more seasons and then draw a final conclusion on Tello's future AFTER we spend big bucks on Neymar and Deulofeu gets promoted, shall we? Because we'll definitely not see Neymar, Sanchez, Pedro, Villa, Cuenca, Tello and Deulofeu occupying 2 positions. DEFINITELY not. I personally can already guess who'll get axed besides Villa. You can make your own guesses.

Who said anything about final conclusion?...I've only pointed out that many in this forum have rubbished the player only for him to constantly disprove the haters, including yourself, who attempt to manufacture a basis for his being lucky/mediocre

As it stands, as much as I like Alexis, Tello is ahead of him in the rotation not only because the Chilean has been unfortunate with injuries but because he has been less dangerous in front of goal...No one else on the squad has Tello's speed up front, no one

Deulofeu is, again, a question mark...No one knows how he can do with the first team, he has yet to impress when given minutes so unlike your kneejerk scouting assessments I prefer to go by evidence - of which there is precious little...yet...Moreover, Deulofeu has yet to demonstrate the sort of hardwork on both ends of the pitch that Tello does

You're delusions about Neymar remain that, delusions...Because he isn't here and we don't know if, when or how he will do here...We can guess but we know what Tello can do already and we also know, more importantly, that we won't get a sideshow circus but a hardworking player who clearly wants to be here as evidenced by the circuitous path that led him back to our club

Cantera players always over foreign buys, like it or lump it, that's Barcelona...You're professing aspirations that bear a closer resemblance to those of the circus of a capital club

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
The logic that the cantera products provide more work rate than the outsiders is flawed... You don't see Messi doing much running around lately for example!!

Who are the hardest working players in the team who show the grit & dedication for the shirt?...Predominantly cantera players, that's who

P

PhilS

Cantera players are great, but not preferable to better purchased players. Villa is the second best finisher on this club, that is extremely valuable. Without Alves, there would be fewer trophies in the case. No cantera player comes close to the versatility of Adriano. Where would this team be without Masch stepping in to fill the hole in the back line?

Most graduates of la Masia will always have to make their first division careers elsewhere, regardless of their dedication. I hope Tello scores about 200 for Barca.

Home of Barca Fans