Cristiano Ronaldo - v1

Micah

To be very honest, I feel Ronaldo should have won the award this year. I really don't want to go on about his attitude, as people have mentioned enough of it, But I rate him as a Player solely on what he does on the pitch, and in all honestly he's not much behind Messi. This year was probably the best chance he could have had to win the award, won the league with Madrid and did well in the Euros, i don't think he's going to have a better shot at it in the foreseeable future(i.e if he's sticking with Madrid).

20 years from now, people would see it as, 4 awards for Messi(probably even more) and only 1 for Ronaldo, Which obviously does not justify to the sort of player he is. He may not be as good a player as Messi is, but neither is he Light years behind him as the awards would suggest.

Messi has many years ahead of him and is more than likely to win it again. Ronaldo obviously is not getting any younger, and i think we are all lucky enough to witness these two in our era. I just feel it's not fair for player when he ends his career winning only 1 Ballon d'or. Even Owen has one to his name, wouldn't put him in the same class would you.

Yannick03

To be very honest, I feel Ronaldo should have won the award this year. I really don't want to go on about his attitude, as people have mentioned enough of it, But I rate him as a Player solely on what he does on the pitch, and in all honestly he's not much behind Messi. This year was probably the best chance he could have had to win the award, won the league with Madrid and did well in the Euros, i don't think he's going to have a better shot at it in the foreseeable future(i.e if he's sticking with Madrid).

20 years from now, people would see it as, 4 awards for Messi(probably even more) and only 1 for Ronaldo, Which obviously does not justify to the sort of player he is. He may not be as good a player as Messi is, but neither is he Light years behind him as the awards would suggest.

Messi has many years ahead of him and is more than likely to win it again. Ronaldo obviously is not getting any younger, and i think we are all lucky enough to witness these two in our era. I just feel it's not fair for player when he ends his career winning only 1 Ballon d'or. Even Owen has one to his name, wouldn't put him in the same class would you.

I agree with you that he did very well in La Liga, he was a huge part of their title. But I didn't find his Euro performance that outstanding. First match against Germany he was nowhere, second game against Denmark he was lucky his teammates stepped up or whole Portugal would have hated him. He scored 2 against the Netherlands which were arguably the worst team at the Euros and their defence was horrible. Scored against the Czech Republic but again, not one of the top teams. Against Spain, he was invisible. Sometimes I feel, people are way too quick excited about what he does. But that's just my opinion.

And you also have to remember that giving the Ballon d'Or to Ronaldo instead of Messi is acually shortcoming Messi. By your reasoning Messi would now have 2 or 3 Ballon d'Ors, while Ronaldo would have also 2 or 3. Is that what reality tells us ? No by no means, Messi is qualitywise far superior, this year not titlewise but the Ballon d'Or chooses the best player. If at the end of his career, Leo was 8 years the best footballer on the world, he should get 8 instead of 5 or 6.

I don't get that sympathy fact that Ronaldo should win it just so in a few decades people can judge him on the amount of Ballon d'Ors he got. The best should win it everytime, the rest are just very unfortunate that there is some little genius, called Messi. They have to learn to live with it.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101

He's about 1/4 of the player Messi is, so it's fine

kollegah

messi is more then one step ahead of ronaldo. ronaldo is not in a group with leo, hes in a group with xavi, iniesta etc.
and the thing "he did well at the euros", is a legacy created by the media. everyone who saw his performances will not say he did great, he did average na d score 3-4? more or less tap-ins

X

xaviniesta

i think he hurt his right hand and thus couldnt vote. seems legit to me.

JonM

At least Ronaldo is fortunate enough to have one ballon d'or to his name. Some great players from this era will never get one (See: Xavi) while guys like Owen, Kaka and Canavaro got one.

It's like swimmers having to compete with Michael Phelps or sprinters having to compete against Usain Bolt. You were born in the wrong decade buddy.

Garrus

I agree with you that he did very well in La Liga, he was a huge part of their title. But I didn't find his Euro performance that outstanding. First match against Germany he was nowhere, second game against Denmark he was lucky his teammates stepped up or whole Portugal would have hated him. He scored 2 against the Netherlands which were arguably the worst team at the Euros and their defence was horrible. Scored against the Czech Republic but again, not one of the top teams. Against Spain, he was invisible. Sometimes I feel, people are way too quick excited about what he does. But that's just my opinion.

And you also have to remember that giving the Ballon d'Or to Ronaldo instead of Messi is acually shortcoming Messi. By your reasoning Messi would now have 2 or 3 Ballon d'Ors, while Ronaldo would have also 2 or 3. Is that what reality tells us ? No by no means, Messi is qualitywise far superior, this year not titlewise but the Ballon d'Or chooses the best player. If at the end of his career, Leo was 8 years the best footballer on the world, he should get 8 instead of 5 or 6.

I don't get that sympathy fact that Ronaldo should win it just so in a few decades people can judge him on the amount of Ballon d'Ors he got. The best should win it everytime, the rest are just very unfortunate that there is some little genius, called Messi. They have to learn to live with it.

I can say the same thing about xavi and iniesta, What you seem to want is some kind of a sympathy win, And that kind of defies the purpose of this award, Which is to give it to the best player in the world, I think being in the 2nd place 3 times out of 4 behind probably the best player in history, Is a good enough achievement for me.

BarcaOG

Banned
At least Ronaldo is fortunate enough to have one ballon d'or to his name. Some great players from this era will never get one (See: Xavi) while guys like Owen, Kaka and Canavaro got one.

It's like swimmers having to compete with Michael Phelps or sprinters having to compete against Usain Bolt. You were born in the wrong decade buddy.

Well said. Xavi is unlikely to ever win it despite being eternally better than Kaka or Owen (whose inclusion in the ranks of Balon D'Or winners is more than questionable)

Yannick03

I can say the same thing about xavi and iniesta, What you seem to want is some kind of a sympathy win, And that kind of defies the purpose of this award, Which is to give it to the best player in the world, I think being in the 2nd place 3 times out of 4 behind probably the best player in history, Is a good enough achievement for me.

Was it directed to me ? Cause I share your opinion. :lol:

Home of Barca Fans