Daniel Alves

Meitux

BRuEkzwCYAALBfi.jpg:large
PSY.jpg
:pep:

JackaL

Guys, I don't know if we ever had such a discussion, but I can't get rid of the idea that we could have sold Dani Alves this season for a decent amount, replaced him by Montoya (and Adriano, I know the injuries) and invested the money for aour target CB. Don't get me wrong, I adore Dani Alves game, he gives so much to our attacking game, however, I am surely not the only one who thinks that his best days are over. At the same time, he is not our most professional player that likes to take care of himself physically. Just an idea, what are your opinions on him?

CatalinR10

Guys, I don't know if we ever had such a discussion, but I can't get rid of the idea that we could have sold Dani Alves this season for a decent amount, replaced him by Montoya (and Adriano, I know the injuries) and invested the money for aour target CB. Don't get me wrong, I adore Dani Alves game, he gives so much to our attacking game, however, I am surely not the only one who thinks that his best days are over. At the same time, he is not our most professional player that likes to take care of himself physically. Just an idea, what are your opinions on him?

You are right . Barca doesn't know when is the perfect moment to sell and they could have sold him already for a decent amount of money. But even if Alves isn't the same anymore , he should be kept in order to help Neymar feel more comfortable here.

ebc_99

Why would you want to sell one of the worlds best right backs? He did not have the best season last year but that doesn't mean he will never get back to his best, he is only 30 and has at least 2 seasons at the top, and there is still a question mark beside Montoya. I would diffidently keep him one more season at least and see if Montoya can reach a point where he can take over the RB position without the team losing any performance.

JackaL

Neymar is too much a prospect to need an Alves. Surely, it will help him to adapt faster, but Neymar has no other choice than to prove himself in Europe. Let's see if Alves really has a positive impact on him. More than that, I am interested in his performance on the pitch. I guess we are too courageous with both Alba and Alves. Back in the days (haha), I remember Abidal having a much more defensive role than Alves. However, one has to acknowledge the fit between Alves and Messi, they understand each other blindly.

Why would you want to sell one of the worlds best right backs? He did not have the best season last year but that doesn't mean he will never get back to his best, he is only 30 and has at least 2 seasons at the top, and there is still a question mark beside Montoya. I would diffidently keep him one more season at least and see if Montoya can reach a point where he can take over the RB position without the team losing any performance.

True, he is one of he best right backs, however I rather don't see him getting back to his best performances again, that's the only difference. I remember we could have sold him already last season to PSG, of course in hindsight one is always wiser. I must say I would't have sold him last season either and respecting his previous great seasons there is enough reason to keep him. Nonetheless, we could have taken he risk this season, it's up for discussion.

Last edited:

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Neymar is too much a prospect to need an Alves. Surely, it will help him to adapt faster, but Neymar has no other choice than to prove himself in Europe. Let's see if Alves really has a positive impact on him. More than that, I am interested in his performance on the pitch. I guess we are too courageous with both Alba and Alves. Back in the days (haha), I remember Abidal having a much more defensive role than Alves. However, one has to acknowledge the fit between Alves and Messi, they understand each other blindly.
This is so true. No doubt he is helping him adapt, but whether any further influence is good for Neymar is debatable, especially taking into account what you said about Alves not being the most professional player when it comes to taking care of himself physically. Also, Neymar is young, but if he wants to suceed at football, he'll just have to deal with changing circumstances, new surroundings and the need to adapt. Plus, I don't even think Neymar is that dependent on him anyway.

Stric

We shouldn't be giving an advantage to a player because he's like a babysitter to another one, but even if that wasn't the case, I don't Barca would be interested in selling anyway.

Meitux

The idea on one of the best right backs in the world is based on his form back in years and because there aren't really any rightbacks to compete, Lahm is way above him. You have to accept that Dani Alves is past his prime, saying that he can and IF he gets back to his best is an excuse of trying to convice yourself he isn't bad anymore. But the truth is that Dani Alves never really was was player with the best of defensive abilities, but this was covered by the system and Abidal. Right now that he gets exposed and he is past his best he shows his true defensive abilities that simply not exist. And its not only about that, having 2 attacking fullbacks isn't right, we already have Alba who is younger faster and better than him when attacking. So judging by those two if we want to stabilize our defence, its Alves that has to make way.

Last edited:

serghei

The idea on one of the best right backs in the world is based on his form back in years and because there aren't really any rightbacks to compete, Lahm is way above him. You have to accept that Dani Alves is past his prime, saying that he can and IF he gets back to his best is an excuse of trying to convice yourself he isn't bad anymore. But the truth is that Dani Alves never really was was player with the best of defensive abilities, but this was covered by the system and Abidal. Right now that he gets exposed and he is past his best he shows his true defensive abilities that simply not exist. And its not only about that, having 2 attacking fullbacks isn't right, we already have Alba who is younger faster and better than him when attacking. So judging by those two if we want to stabilize our defence, its Alves that has to make way.

Listen, Alves is bad at defending because he's caught upfield and leaves his area empty. If he goes in attack a little less and a little more careful, he will be fine, because in 1 vs 1 he's still leagues better than overrated Montoya. As I said, Brasil won the Conf. Cup with Alves as right back. He played well the entire competition and I mean defensively well. On the other hand, Montoya and Bartra were disastrous when they had to face Ribery and not because they weren't defending, but because their defending abilities are plain bad and ridiculously overrated here on barcaforum. Montoya is like Tello, won't be a starter anytime soon.

Meitux

Listen, Alves is bad at defending because he's caught upfield and leaves his area empty. If he goes in attack a little less and a little more careful, he will be fine, because in 1 vs 1 he's still leagues better than overrated Montoya. As I said, Brasil won the Conf. Cup with Alves as right back. He played well the entire competition and I mean defensively well. On the other hand, Montoya and Bartra were disastrous when they had to face Ribery and not because they weren't defending, but because their defending abilities are plain bad and ridiculously overrated here on barcaforum. Montoya is like Tello, won't be a starter anytime soon.
Not always, even on 1vs1 situations hes pretty bad. Brazil wasn't actually tested on Dani's side so you can't really say that he had exceptional performances.

Talking about Montoya or Bartra, they are not really players who are regulars and that was the first friendly of the season while Bayern had already more and ofcourse trying to stop Ribery who really is unstopable on most 1vs1 situations isn't an easy task. I never said that he is a better player but if we wan't to bring some balance to the defence we need one player who's better defending. Im critisizing Dani Alves specifically, lets be honest, he brings nothing special to the team at the moment besides mediocre performances. Nothing better than Alba provides as attacking minded. Not to mention that most of the times when he gets forward he forgets to come back. I won't base my opinion on the though that Dani Alves MIGHT be the player he was before some years because its right now what matters. Considering Alba's performances as attacking minded fullback his age and the current form of Dani Alves and because we need to have balance on our fullbacks as i said above its Alves that has to make way.

Last edited:

serghei

Not always, even on 1vs1 situations hes pretty bad. Brazil wasn't actually tested on Dani's side so you can't really say that he had exceptional performances.

Nothing better than Alba provides as attacking minded. Not to mention that most of the times when he gets forward he forgets to come back. I won't base my opinion on the though that Dani Alves MIGHT be the player he was before some years because its right now what matters.

Alba himself has many problems defensively, he isn't near prime Alves's performances. I noticed that in a lot of games he ruins our offside trap because he lacks tactical knowledge - with Betis, 2-1, being a good exaple. I think we should trust Alves more, because in 2011/2012 season he played good. As for last year, a lot of players seemed post-prime, including Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Pique, Pedro, Alexis, Mascherano, Valdes, almost 3/4 of the team. I think only Messi and Busi were showing consistency last season. Let's agree that last season we sucked in many important matches and that a lot of players played under what they usually play.

Out of Alba, Alves and Montoya, I still trust Alves the most.

Meitux

Alba himself has many problems defensively, he isn't near prime Alves's performances. I noticed that in a lot of games he ruins our offside trap because he lacks tactical knowledge - with Betis, 2-1, being a good exaple. I think we should trust Alves more, because in 2011/2012 season he played good. As for last year, a lot of players seemed post-prime, including Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Pique, Pedro, Alexis, Mascherano, Valdes, almost 3/4 of the team. I think only Messi and Busi were showing consistency last season. Let's agree that last season we sucked in many important matches and that a lot of players played under what they usually play.

Out of Alba, Alves and Montoya, I still trust Alves the most.
I never said Alba is very good defensively, they are both attacking minded players, thats how i compare them, in those criterias. Comparing Dani Alves to Alba doesn't actually make Alves good defensively. Waiting for someone to perform better just because he was good in the past isn't quarantee he will be the same again in your logic we should keep him even if he continues performing bad... We have 2 attacking minded fullbacks and the one of them who is Alba has performed better in that way. So why should we hope that Dani Alves finds his not self which actually even back in time his defending wasn't the best but its worse right now. Judging generally by one game isn't the right way to think actually. Montoya has shown good signs and needs chances to prove if hes worth of it or not.. But it will always remain the same fact, we need to have one attacking minded fullback and one whos better defensively and won't get forward the same time, similar thing we did having Abidal, but right now its Alba that performs better than Alves in this attacking role so thats the reason..

Last edited:

serghei

I never said Alba is very good defensively, they are both attacking minded players, thats how i compare them, in those criterias. Comparing Dani Alves to Alba doesn't actually make Alves good defensively. Waiting for someone to perform better just because he was good in the past isn't quarantee he will be the same again in your logic we should keep him even if he continues performing bad... We have 2 attacking minded fullbacks and the one of them who is Alba has performed better in that way. So why should we hope that Dani Alves finds his not self which actually even back in time his defending wasn't the best but its worse right now. Judging generally by one game isn't the right way to think actually. Montoya has shown good signs and needs chances to prove if hes worth of it or not.. But it will always remain the same fact, we need to have one attacking minded fullback and one whos better defensively and won't get forward the same time, similar thing we did having Abidal, but right now its Alba that performs better than Alves in this attacking role so thats the reason..

Sure, I have nothing against Montoya playing vs Getafe. Let him play and gain experience, I'm fine with that. But I would use Alves against Real Madrid any given day and twice on Sundays. Anyone can have a bad year, be it Alves, Xavi, Fabregas, anyone. Sometimes it's the ending of an era, like with Ronaldinho, but sometimes it's only a hiccup. It's up to everyone to believe one or the other. And since neither of us can see the future, we base our predictions on hunches. Your gut is telling you Alves is going to go from bad to worse this season. Mine is telling me he's going to have a comeback and that we'll see some of the old Alves in action. We'll wait and see.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans