Daniel Alves

Xtroverto

honestly
i think a lot of Barca fans tend to over-hype minimum-quality players that we currently have in our starting 11..
yes Dani's good in some things.. he's pretty quick (when he wants), he may actually tackle well sometimes, or get some cross assists, or the nice double passes with Messi...

but PLEASE, good season ? we haven't even played against any decent opponent yet, and so far he managed to get a lot of idiotic crosses, lose possession, wander around like a damn RF as if it makes any sense,
it gets tiring and actually makes me sad to constantly watch Iniesta or Mascherano try so hard to play smart and build up some sort of clever play while players like Dani Alves (Sanchez, Tello etc...) keeps playing in the dumbest obvious way you can think of. i sometimes wonder how the hell does he even start in our 11 ? seriously.

most of the good he manages to do is by plain coincidence, for 1000 idiotic crosses you get 1 that hits Fabregas' head, and everyone go "omg he's almost the best RB out there today"

no, he's not. he's really average if not lower than that. i would use Adriano any time before Alves, or even a young player like Montoya to start for a run of at least 10 games to see if he can be any good when playing regularly. and if he doesnt prove to be useful yet, im sure we can get something better.

its just sad
we had some "average" players in the past, Keita, Bojan, even Adriano, they are not the best players in the world, but at least you can see they have some sort of brain and appreciate them for trying to be useful.

i cant even explain how hard and tiring it is to see him lose his defensive position, run all the way to the corner flag, get a ball, and shoot it like a crazy man to a THROW IN on the other side of the field..

:facepalm:

and people wonder whats wrong with our defense.. we have him as a RB, and we have a CB who keeps falling for no reason.. oh.. i wonder whats the problem.

ROFL, this exact same post could just as well have been writter 5 years ago during the 2008-09 season when we won the treble, i'm sure if I dig though the forum I will find one. Alves has never been a good defender, never, he has never been a good cross baller, never, he has never played it safe like Iniesta, never. I find it amazing that after 5 full seasons at FC Barcelona you still have not figured out Alves actual contribution to the team, the reason why FC Barcelona paid 30 million euros for him.

IF FC Barcelona really wanted a good ball crosser or a positional wizard, they would have went with a completely different type of player.

Last edited:

Indignado

ROFL, this exact same post could just as well have been writter 5 years ago during the 2008-09 season when we won the treble, i'm sure if I dig though the forum I will find one. Alves has never been a good defender, never, he has never been a good cross baller, never, he has never played it safe like Iniesta, never. I find it amazing that after 5 full seasons at FC Barcelona you still have not figured out Alves actual contribution to the team, the reason why FC Barcelona paid 30 million euros for him.

IF FC Barcelona really wanted a good ball crosser or a positional wizard, they would have went with a completely different type of player.

Enlighten us please. And if he's not a good crosser why does he bother crossing in the first place.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Alves hasn't been very good this season (I'd still say better than last though) but since Montoya hasn't been very great in the time he's had as well, there shouldn't be calls for him to get benched. Obviously Montoya deserves more chances to get in form, but as of now Alves should currently remain our primary RB.

Defensively, he's still often missing. I couldn't count how many times yesterday I saw Bartra completely alone defending on the right side while Alves either didn't run back fast enough or ran to completely stupid and irrelevant places. During tougher games, Tata will obviously tell him (and Alba) to control themselves and play more disciplined. However I wish that even without those instructions, he'd start being smart about timing his runs and staying back at the right times.

Alves hasn't been very good this season (I'd still say better than last though) but since Montoya hasn't been very great in the time he's had as well, there shouldn't be calls for him to get benched. Obviously Montoya deserves more chances to get in form, but as of now Alves should currently remain our primary RB.

Those making those calls last season had a point. Alves was worse last season than he's been this season and Montoya looked good in the little time he got. Especially in the first half of the season when Alves was injured. Plus, our LB is also attacking-minded.

I agree that Alves is in better form than Montoya right now though. But he still needs to be replaced sooner or later. Either by Montoya or a signing. 2 attacking FBs doesn't really work, he's been out of form for 2 seaons, he's not getting any younger, etc, etc.

Last edited:

psychotsek

Yeah convince sheikh mansoor to sell their best player and convince zabaleta to.take a massive party cut. Cough Thiago Silva cough

While it was more of a sarcastic post than a proposition after a little search i found that Pablo's salary is almsot the same as Dani's.
Now if we are to offload Dani to a rich club,say Monaco and make some money i don't think it would be really difficult to buy a low caliber player (he is no Thiago Silva..) from City.
We have an Messi,Tata and Masch who can ''convince'' him to join.

Cule4life

The Culest
While it was more of a sarcastic post than a proposition after a little search i found that Pablo's salary is almsot the same as Dani's.
Now if we are to offload Dani to a rich club,say Monaco and make some money i don't think it would be really difficult to buy a low caliber player (he is no Thiago Silva..) from City.
We have an Messi,Tata and Masch who can ''convince'' him to join.

If we go after him sheikh mansoor will offer to double his wage. You can't compete with these oil clubs. Not casting aspersions on zab as I dont know him but I wouldn't be surprised if he went after money. I have little faith in footballers these days. Still wouldn't hurt to make an enquiry.
But with rosell at the helm expect dani to retire at the club and tata being fired after suggesting to sell alves

lostchild

man
the fact that we win titles, or play good, doesnt mean EVERY player plays good,
i dont remember a team as strong as last year's Bayern for the past few years.. in this time and age, Alves just isnt good enough,
like i said
he is good in some parts, but i dont think it suits the way we play anymore (or maybe never did)
he does not need to be a positional wizard, or play safe in Iniesta's level,
he has to do Barca's role of a RWB good enough..

he doesnt defend at all, and when he tries, he usually fails. he attacks a lot and usually just loses the ball after some short passes with Messi,
he keeps crossing millions of balls while clearly he's awful at that, just like you said... so why keep trying ? i may guess that Tata (tito, pep) wants him to, unless not and he's doing wtf he wants, which would be horrible in another level.. but i hope its Tata's orders..
what else?
oh right.. he finds it really hard to go back after losing possession.. Tata's orders?
seriously i cant even realise what are the official manager requests and what are just his own damn decisions ..

fact is simple, he has NO competition what so ever, Montoya is slowly dissapearing for some reason, just like Bartra was a while ago,
i just hope Dani gets suspended or something so Montoya can get some play time.

but you seem to know his actual contribution ... well.. tell us.

Xtroverto

man
the fact that we win titles, or play good, doesnt mean EVERY player plays good,
i dont remember a team as strong as last year's Bayern for the past few years.. in this time and age, Alves just isnt good enough,
like i said
he is good in some parts, but i dont think it suits the way we play anymore (or maybe never did)
he does not need to be a positional wizard, or play safe in Iniesta's level,
he has to do Barca's role of a RWB good enough..

he doesnt defend at all, and when he tries, he usually fails. he attacks a lot and usually just loses the ball after some short passes with Messi,
he keeps crossing millions of balls while clearly he's awful at that, just like you said... so why keep trying ? i may guess that Tata (tito, pep) wants him to, unless not and he's doing wtf he wants, which would be horrible in another level.. but i hope its Tata's orders..
what else?
oh right.. he finds it really hard to go back after losing possession.. Tata's orders?
seriously i cant even realise what are the official manager requests and what are just his own damn decisions ..

fact is simple, he has NO competition what so ever, Montoya is slowly dissapearing for some reason, just like Bartra was a while ago,
i just hope Dani gets suspended or something so Montoya can get some play time.

but you seem to know his actual contribution ... well.. tell us.

It sounds to me that you fail to recognize Alves role on the team. Now, a right winger at Barcelona can play in many ways, with Alves his role is to widen the field and push the opposing team back into their own half, for this you need a player with lots and lots of stamina which Alves has plenty of, he is alway the one who runs the most on the team, often 12,5 to 13 km. On top of that he is very fast both without but more crucially he is also very fast with the ball. Alves is also a player that is very good at taking on 1 or 2 players and get through them and linking up with teammates. Many of the most outrageous tiki taka goals, Alves is a big part of.

He is very good at drawing player on himself to create space for his teammates, only really Iniesta does that better than Alves. Often you see him holding on to the ball until atleast 2 defenders are closing down on him, this creates the space Messi needs to execute in the box. I would probably say that Alves biggest contribution to the team is the fact that he gives his teammates extra time on the ball by drawing player on himself. This is much more important than one think, he gives Messi and Xavi, his two main associates, the extra time and space they need.

Last edited:

lostchild

It sounds to me that you fail to recognize Alves role on the team. Now, a right winger at Barcelona can play in many ways, with Alves his role is to widen the field and push the opposing team back into their own half, for this you need a player with lots and lots of stamina which Alves has plenty of, he is alway the one who runs the most on the team, often 12,5 to 13 km. On top of that he is very fast both without but more crucially he is also very fast with the ball. Alves is also a player that is very good at taking on 1 or 2 players and get through them and linking up with teammates. many of the teams most outrageous tiki taka goals, Alves is a big part of.

He is very good at drawing player on himself to create space for his teammates, only really Iniesta does that better than Alves. Often you see him holding on to the ball until atleast 2 defenders are closing down on him, this creates the space Messi needs to execute in the box. I would probably say that Alves biggest contribution to the team is the fact that he gives his teammates extra time on the ball by drawing player on himself. This is much more important than one think, he gives Messi and Xavi, his two main associates, the extra time and space they need.
:amazed:

what you are describing should be Pedro. Cesc. Iniesta.

HE IS A GOD DAMN DEFENDER ..

there is no point in getting goals if we concede every counter-attack / header / free kick / corner

Xtroverto

:amazed:

what you are describing should be Pedro. Cesc. Iniesta.

HE IS A GOD DAMN DEFENDER ..

there is no point in getting goals if we concede every counter-attack / header / free kick / corner

Those players have different roles, Alves role is to make the playing field larger by forcing the opposing team to track him down. Pedro for all he is he can't dribble, he could never take on the role of Alves as he is not capable of engaging several players at once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgWpBqV708I

The very first goal you se in this video explain why Alves is so important for this team, Look at the picture at 0.11 and then at the picture at 0:14, in 2,5 seconds he takes out 3 players and creates a goal out of nothing. Just like Iniesta, Alves is like a magnet, he draws on players creating space for others.

Last edited:

Meitux

Those players have different roles, Alves role is to make the playing field larger by forcing the opposing team to track him down. Pedro for all he is he can't dribble, he could never take on the role of Alves as he is not capable of engaging several players at once.
Yeah whatever, judging by Dani Alves's performances which are average and always judging him in his way of playing that is attacking he offers nothing going forward. We have 2 attacking fullbacks in Alves and Alba and the one of them that is not performing is Alves, don't start with that's his role and crap, he isn't performing even when he does that. But after all when both of them are attacking minded fullbacks one them has to make way to get some balance in our defence and that's Alves, i can't expect Alba to defend but when they are both attacking minded Alves has performed worst. After all a RB is a defender as already mentioned, Alves simply can't defend and when going forward most of the times he's lazy on getting back, not to mention that he has lost a lot of speed to cover up.. The solution is one and it's a fact, we need Alves to get off the line up and play someone with better defensive abilities there and with the mentality of not going forward and forget him self there but cover when Alba is going forward who will be the main attacking minded fullback so we won't end up with messed defending organisation, same what we did with Abidal back in time but because of them two Alba has been better Alves has to makes way, otherwise we will still have one more issue in our defending problems. Most of people like you as i read up find excuse for what he has made in the past but forget that form is what matters right now and always. Montoya can't be said that he's better simply because of his experience which is not big, he has shown good signs but it's normal to have some inconsistency when you don't have a stable place in the line up and play a few times, we should judge him whenever he gets a full chance of playing. But if you don't show faith in him and play with Alves who has been a shadow of himself for such a time and can't defend when one of our fullbacks has to... problems will continue.

Home of Barca Fans