Daniel Alves

abual3bed1

Let me preface my post by saying that Alves did not have a good game. He was slow and lethargic on defense, and did not have the quickness he has shown of late.

That being said though, a lot of what happened to him was out of his control. He was totally outnumbered and overwhelmed down his flank, and received very little help from Xavi and from Neymar.

Alves' gameplan was clear, he was supposed to stick to Ronaldo, and reduced the danger he would pose from the right wing. For the most part, he succeeded. Ronaldo had a very poor game. However, Ancelotti played a risky, but ultimately smart hand by playing di Maria behind him in midfield. That allowed di Maria to exploit the space left by Alves' focus on Ronaldo, and since Alves was not generally getting help from Neymar and Xavi in cover, he was left to defending both Ronaldo and di Maria, with the result of di Maria having all kinds of freedom to wreak havoc.

In hindsight, playing Neymar on the right was not the best decision. His inefficient offensive performance notwithstanding, he was also not a good counter to Madrid playing di Maria and Ronaldo on the same wing. You cannot fault Martino for playing that line-up, after all, it performed very well vs City. But then again, City does not have Ronaldo and di Maria.

If when these teams meet again Madrid plays with the same lineup, and they most definitely should, Martino will almost certainly seek to trump this advantage and play either Pedro or Alexis down the right to give some support to Alves.

Brilliant. He was bad as an individual (Pace, he had no pace at all), but it's not entirely his fault.

PhilS

Alves has also had bad problems covering Di Maria in the past. This is unfortunate, but all and all Alves is an excellent man on man defender. Despite getting beaten by CR7 once yesterday, I think he is the very best at covering CR7. Which means CR7 destroys him only sometimes, as compared to how he destroys all other defenders more often.

Give Di Maria and Ancelloti credit, no could have stopped Di Maria in the first half, and it was brilliant sending him into Alves' corner.

Look, it would be great to upgrade from Alves to a RB as quick as Alba, as fast as and with the shot of former fullback Bale, with the field generalship of Lahm, who sends in crosses like Di Maria, with the the aerial force of Ramos. But with Alves' dribbling and ticki takka skills. Real Madrid has been looking for this player for quite a while now, I'm pretty sure they would settle for upgrading to Alves tomorrow.

barcanuck

Good posts here guys, Alves had a bad game getting beat on the right by Di Maria twice and causing a penalty but he didn't have any cover from Xavi or Neymar at all. This was more on the tactical side of things, only so much Alves can do when Marcelo, Di Maria and Ronaldo were attacking him.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Madrid were doing to Barca what Barca does to opponents, except the RM wingers actually cross because they have height in their frontline. Di Maria going one on one against Alves and with Marcelo making over-lapping runs. Martino was out-coached there by Ancelotti who clearly used that flank to attack. It's not Alves fault, he was outnumbered most of the time and had very little support from Neymar, contrast that with the support the likes of Ronaldo and mostly Bale were giving to their full-backs. Dimaria and Marcelo down one wing would be tough to handle for anybody. People solely blaming Alves have no idea what they're talking about.

Exactly, this is just what I wrote after the game. Ancelotti knew if he attacked through the left Alves would not get much help from Neymar (or Xavi) + he would hamper Alves going to much forward even when Barca had the ball because Alves knew they would attack the right side. Jeez, people complaining Di Maria + Ronaldo + Marcelo destroyed an Alves without any backup, give me a break! Iniesta single handedly destroyed RM ffs - what other RB would hold of Di Maria + Marcelo + Ronaldo on their own, please tell me who? RM is a great team with one of the most dangerous and fast offensive players, give them some credit too before we bash Alves.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
what other RB would hold of Di Maria + Marcelo + Ronaldo on their own, please tell me who?

Cuadrado obviously... :pep:

But come on, Alves himself admitted he played like crap... But you do have a point, both Xavi and Neymar really left him to die...

coura

Banned
In the Copa final i would put Pedro and Alexis to pressure and backtrack and help defense. Facing CR and di maria is harsh.

CatalinR10

"Today is the birthday of this guy here. He will forever be my idol and I'm proud I can call him my father"

BjpxDzoCQAAtVVh.png

FC B

Still a very very good player when he gives it all. I pray the rumors of his departure won't materializ this summer either:alves::thumbsup2:

Last edited:

serghei

still best RB in the world

Glad you see it. There's just no other RB that could put in that kind of offensive performance as Alves did against City in CL for instance. "Relentless in going forward, put pressure all night", I believe that's what ITV said about Dani.

I would rather have Alves than any other RB out there. Including Lahm.

FC B

Well, I don't know about Lahm because he is better defensively as Alves is better offensively...

But still a very good RB that Barca cannot replace right now if any time so he must stay !

Cule4life

The Culest
I love how people say Dani is the best "RB" and justify it by saying nobody "attacks" like him. Seems like Dani reads the forum and chooses when to defend.
Don't get me wrong. I don't hate the player. But his attitude is very poor and he has declined big time. And yes we can replace him by using Alba as our attacking fullback and a defensive RB which will bring balance to our side. Even a pairing of Thiago Silva and Kompany can only do so much when both fullbacks keep bombing forward
That said I am not actively wanting him to leave but I wouldn't be mad if he did

serghei

I love how people say Dani is the best "RB" and justify it by saying nobody "attacks" like him. Seems like Dani reads the forum and chooses when to defend.
Don't get me wrong. I don't hate the player. But his attitude is very poor and he has declined big time. And yes we can replace him by using Alba as our attacking fullback and a defensive RB which will bring balance to our side. Even a pairing of Thiago Silva and Kompany can only do so much when both fullbacks keep bombing forward
That said I am not actively wanting him to leave but I wouldn't be mad if he did

If you tell me that there is another RB in the world today, that could score two goals against a side like City in a CL knockout fixture, than you must really hate Alves.

And if you tell me a RB at Barcelona must be ZERO in offense, than you are mistaking Barcelona with Inter or some other seria A team. We attack more than we defend and we need a player who can understand and share the offensive appetite of a team like Barcelona. And Alves provides good enough defensive stability. In case you didn't notice, we were solid in defense in all big games this season, except the Bernabeu match. And that with Alves on the right side. He was one of our best men in the clasico on Camp Nou, decisive against Atletico in the Supercup, scored that great goal on the Ettihad vs. Man. City, the one that made our life a lot easier on Camp Nou. What more do you want?

Last edited:

NeyMesSis

If you tell me that there is another RB in the world today, that could score two goals against a side like City in a CL knockout fixture, than you must really hate Alves.

And if you tell me a RB at Barcelona must be ZERO in offense, than you are mistaking Barcelona with Inter or some other seria A team. We attack more than we defend and we need a player who can understand and share the offensive appetite of a team like Barcelona. And Alves provides good enough defensive stability. In case you didn't notice, we were solid in defense in all big games this season, except the Bernabeu match. And that with Alves on the right side. He was one of our best men in the clasico on Camp Nou, decisive against Atletico in the Supercup, scored that great goal on the Ettihad vs. Man. City, the one that made our life a lot easier on Camp Nou. What more do you want?
+1.. just because he's the best rb in atack doesnt mean he cant defend.. barcas fullbacks attack 80% of the time...
and btw since tatas our coach alba has a good feeling when to stay back and when to go forward..

Home of Barca Fans