Daniel Alves

JamDav1982

I don't remember if he crossed too much during the whole season, but as pointed above, in the last 2-3 months it was a lot. Messi was playing cf, and Alves crossing to him, over and over. Down to tactics.

Maybe, would have to look at the stats to see if his crossing massively went up in the latter part of season.

Messi has been the CF in all the other seasons as well when Alves on average crossed it more.

F

Flavia

Maybe, would have to look at the stats to see if his crossing massively went up in the latter part of season.

Messi has been the CF in all the other seasons as well when Alves on average crossed it more.

Messi was like a pure striker in some games, and not a false 9. Staying in the box, etc.

JamDav1982

Messi was like a pure striker in some games, and not a false 9. Staying in the box, etc.

Oh right, sorry I misunderstood.

Only game I thought Messi was really like that was Atletico 2nd leg but in that game Alves crosses created the best chances!

Anyway I thought he looked very good tonight. Doesnt have the engine he used to get up and down park quite to the same level but Rakitic covered his areas brilliantly which allowed a fresher Alves on the RW to interact with Messi like times of old!

Alarcón

Going by 'who scored' in the league he put in more crosses in two of the previous three seasons than the last campaign.

Think this idea that he threw in the ball at every opportunity last season is over played.

Edit: in three of the four seasons before Tata arrived Alves made more crosses in league than last year.

Could be down to minutes played etc though, not sure.

The question is, what counts as a cross, i.e. are passes from the flanks into the box considered crosses, or only high crosses are. Obviously I may be mistaken but I can't believe that Dani made more high crosses during Guardiola's reign than last season, but it may very well be possible that he made more passes or low crosses into the box. The lines are blurred.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I believe JamDav is confused. Whoscored historical records only keep track of ACCURATE crosses per game, not total crosses per game. What he said would make sense in the context of accurate crosses.

They show.

--Year---Accurate crosses per game--
13/14 ------1.1
12/13 ------1.5
11/12 ------1.1
10/11 ------1
09/10 ------1.6

They don't show total crosses per game and there is where you could probably see a bigger number for last season than others. Alves wasted a lot of crosses last season.

These stats are only for La Liga btw.

Androutsos

The question is, what counts as a cross, i.e. are passes from the flanks into the box considered crosses, or only high crosses are. Obviously I may be mistaken but I can't believe that Dani made more high crosses during Guardiola's reign than last season, but it may very well be possible that he made more passes or low crosses into the box. The lines are blurred.

With Eto'o and Henry in the box it, and Keita coming through it isn't as bad to cross as it is now tbh.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I believe JamDav is confused. Whoscored historical records only keep track of ACCURATE crosses per game, not total crosses per game. What he said would make sense in the context of accurate crosses.

They show.

--Year---Accurate crosses per game--
13/14 ------1.1
12/13 ------1.5
11/12 ------1.1
10/11 ------1
09/10 ------1.6

They don't show total crosses per game and there is where you could probably see a bigger number for last season than others. Alves wasted a lot of crosses last season.

These stats are only for La Liga btw.

Call me ignorant, but since when do Whoscored have historical records? I thought they just wipe the stats of each season as the new one starts.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Call me ignorant, but since when do Whoscored have historical records? I thought they just wipe the stats of each season as the new one starts.

When you are on a player's page, you can click the History tab (in green near the top, bellow the players name) that shows general stats for the last 5 seasons of domestic league plus UCL.

Messi's for instance

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/11119/History/Lionel-Messi

Or Alves'

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/5780/History/Dani-Alves

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
When you are on a player's page, you can click the History tab (in green near the top, bellow the players name) that shows general stats for the last 5 seasons of domestic league plus UCL.

Messi's for instance

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/11119/History/Lionel-Messi

Or Alves'

Click on the history link on the player's profile.......

Cool, pretty useful for season by season analysis. Thanks guys

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Well will you look at that, if you mouse over each accurate number of crosses stat per year, you get the amount accurate and the amount total.

So
--Year---Crosses accurate/total
13/14 ------31/160
12/13 ------44/160
11/12 ------36/122
10/11 ------36/167
09/10 ------46/195

Seems JamDav was indeed correct. Alves has been spraying crosses every single year.

Seemed more because the last 2 months of last season he was making like 10 crosses per game it seemed. Weird.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Seems JamDav was indeed correct. Alves has been spraying crosses every single year.

Seemed more because the last 2 months of last season he was making like 10 crosses per game it seemed. Weird.

Perhaps, the majority of Alves's crosses last season came in the second half of the season, making it more noticeable when he messed up?

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Perhaps, the majority of Alves's crosses last season came in the second half of the season, making it more noticeable when he messed up?

Could be.

Further analysis of the stats

--Year---Accurate crosses per game---Crosses accurate/total---Total crosses per game---Eficiency--
13/14 ---------1.1---------------------------31/160------------------5.9-----------------0.19
12/13 ---------1.5---------------------------44/160------------------5.5-----------------0.28
11/12 ---------1.1---------------------------36/122------------------3.7-----------------0.30
10/11 ----------1----------------------------36/167------------------4.7-----------------0.22
09/10 ---------1.6---------------------------46/195------------------6.7-----------------0.24

So basically in 13/14 Alves had the second highest cross per game total of his last 5 season, but had the lowest amount of accurate crosses and the lowest crossing efficiency.

Btw, again, these stats are only for La Liga.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
He seemed more responsible in attack tonight, he picked his moments right... He wasn't tested defensively, but I'm sure having Raki covering will be great for him...

Ronnie10

I can't believe what I've seen. ONLY TWO CROSSES, AND ONE OF THEM WAS A LOW CROSS! :alveshat: I just can't believe that. Hold me barcaforum
giphy.gif

his passing is just too good for being wasted for useless crosses

They say that Luis Enrique somehow explained to Alves that Ibrahimovic is not Barca player anymore. :lucho:

Home of Barca Fans