Daniel Alves

vinni

I think Alves understand that if he sign for one year more there is another problem. He will be in a poor position for a decent contract from a another team. He is 32/33(?) then and that is kinda too old for an offensive right back. He is kinda too old allready. I figure he and his agent are just pushing it because of the ban. With a three year deal he's probably happy to retire when his contract expires.

From the boards point of view there is alot to loose. If his performance keeps dropping and the team fails to win something, then you can be sure it will be used against them. Imagine this thread then. :p The only way i can see to keep dani for three years is to sell Montoya/Douglas, buy a world class RB and let Alves play as his backup when he's too old to be a starter.

I would love to see him play for another seaason, but maybe its best for the team and him that he walks this summer. :thinking:

Last edited:

Alarcón

Barcelona could offer Dani Alves a renewal for 1+1 or for 2 seasons. His current contract expires in 2016. Player wants to stay. [md]

PhilS

Barcelona could offer Dani Alves a renewal for 1+1 or for 2 seasons. His current contract expires in 2016. Player wants to stay. [md]

2016? The transfer ban will be over by then, I bet Barca splurges for someone new.

There is an awful lot of negativity towards Alves on this site, but I almost never would take the other teams RB instead of Alves in any Barca game. In La Liga, I would take Juanfran instead, maybe no one else. And the fact is, Alves has no real competition for his spot on the current Barca roster. Adriano has been very good for certain months over the last few years, but he has been looking less perky most of this year, and of course you never know when his next injury is coming. Montoya just does not have the skills to ever be more than #4 fullback for this team. Douglas did not cost very much be Barca standards, so I have never considered him to have much chance of playing a meaningful role.

Barca re-signs few players over age 30. Very few are allowed to decline with age on this squad.

Ritchie

Delicate matter here. The problema is Alves demanding a three year contractm way, way too much. Ideally would be 1 year but he won't accept. Barca cannot stay only in Montoya ( Douglas seems too shit to be acounted for ) and whatever new improvisation Lucho might come up with.

For now I don't see Alves staying though I wish so for one more season.

He must know he's not getting a three year deal but it's probably a haggling strategy to get a 2 year compromise.

I'd only be looking at giving him a one year deal and that's only because we can't buy a right back in the summer. His agent is trying to play on that and get extra years because of the transfer ban

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Montoya and Douglas will never become starters or are they good enough to be backup. Signing a 2 year deal with Alves is alright, the second year he could play less when we bring in some starting material RB and when his contract is up we find another backup RB.

Kerrybai

With Messi back on the right and Alves in a new role he is doing much better, i.e. the tactics no longer force him to cross the ball ( his crosses are useless but that tactics were forcing him to play this hand time and time again ). Sign him up for 3 more years.

serghei

With Messi back on the right and Alves in a new role he is doing much better, i.e. the tactics no longer force him to cross the ball ( his crosses are useless but that tactics were forcing him to play this hand time and time again ). Sign him up for 3 more years.

Agree. Sign him up. It doesn't mean he has to play if we bring an excellent RB in 2016. You sign Alves for 3 years and you know the right flank is OK and well covered. A club the size of Barca can afford to give one more year for a blaugrana legend.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Even without Dani, we have 3 players that can comfortably jump in for RB spot and that's not counting Douglas.
We'd be more than okay until January.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
If its true that we're going to sign Danilo after the ban then lets just let him go. Like Bojan says, we have good enough RBs to last until January.

Home of Barca Fans