Daniel Alves

BerkeleyBernie

Great pass, probably among his best ever.

Credit Busquets and Xavi for better distribution to the right flank, and finally getting Messi/Alves more involved offensively.

barcanuck

Hope he accepts the 1+1 extension after this game. He won't feel that sort of passion with PSG! Please Dani one or two more years.

zanela

The thing with WC players even when in decline, is that they can produce defining moments that remain sketched in our memories for a long time. I love Dani for his exhuberance, persistence, and the ability to silence his critics. My fav Brazilian on the team, and will be for a while. Barca will be hard pressed to find as skilled RB as Dani in his prime.

Stric

Does it beat his PSG outside foot long ball?

Not to me. That outside foot pass was pure magic. Although this is fairly close, especially considering it was for the deciding goal in a potentially league-deciding Clasico.

PhilS

OK, now I am convinced. Must re-sign Alves. Lucho, Messi and the rest of the team are right, this guy is key to this team.

What both Alves and Alba have not gotten enough credit for this season is their defense. CR7 and Bale kill fullbacks. They beat the Barca fullbacks zero times yesterday. Dani snuffs so many attacks before they get started, way deep in the Barca offensive end. He either slows them or fouls them, and the counter fizzles out.

Alves is so dependable bringing the ball upfield. This is easy to take for granted, but most teams don't even have any midfielders who handle the ball this well.

Is it a good idea to have to give a player this old too long a contract? To have to pay him what it is going to take to get this done? Well, good thing this team takes in half a billion euros a year. Suck it up, cut the check. Maybe in two years he will still be a very valuable part-time player, like Xavi is now. Overpaying for a proven Barca mainstay sure beats overpaying for an acquisition that might never become a core component of the team.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
OK, now I am convinced. Must re-sign Alves. Lucho, Messi and the rest of the team are right, this guy is key to this team.

What both Alves and Alba have not gotten enough credit for this season is their defense. CR7 and Bale kill fullbacks. They beat the Barca fullbacks zero times yesterday. Dani snuffs so many attacks before they get started, way deep in the Barca offensive end. He either slows them or fouls them, and the counter fizzles out.

Alves is so dependable bringing the ball upfield. This is easy to take for granted, but most teams don't even have any midfielders who handle the ball this well.

Is it a good idea to have to give a player this old too long a contract? To have to pay him what it is going to take to get this done? Well, good thing this team takes in half a billion euros a year. Suck it up, cut the check. Maybe in two years he will still be a very valuable part-time player, like Xavi is now. Overpaying for a proven Barca mainstay sure beats overpaying for an acquisition that might never become a core component of the team.

Wow, how is it possible to overrate a player so much? Alves was saved several times by his teammates yesterday. He was beaten plenty of times by either Cristiano or Marcelo.
It occurs to me he is the only wing defender left who still falls for Cristiano's dance moves. There are no body feints at all, it is simply showing off but he still manages to catch Alves on the wrong foot.

He often looks worse than he is because Real often tries to overload his flank in Clasicos but he was not able to stop the opposition players in 1on1s even if Raki and Masche drifted towards him to help contain Marcelo, Isco and Cristiano.
I think Alves was the weakest player in our back line yesterday and offered nothing in offense. He had one moment which was awesome and I cannot praise him enough for the assist but apart from that he did not have a good game.

Stric

While I do appreciate how incredible that pass was, to be honest, Messi makes several wqually epic passes during any given game, and usually he is let down by whoever the pass was intended for. Alves's pass, however great it was, is emphasized by the fact that Suarez made the most of it.

Home of Barca Fans