Daniel Alves

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
I wonder how many points it would cost us to play Montoya and Douglas at RB for half a season, not to mention the CL group stages.

Should Bartra cover the position, with Vermaelen now back and able to play?

If Alves leaves, then yes, he should. Or play a 3-4-3 with Pedro at wide midfield/wingback.

Zangash

Banned
Would play Bartra as RB myself. We'd lose offensive power but we'd be so incredibly solid in the back. Using Bartra there would also get us back to the attack/defend ratio we had when Abidal was here.

Stric

I can't help but laugh at the thought of "us losing points" for not having Alves. So many points that we've lost already are exactly because of him and his defensive shortcomings, and so few that we've won are because of him and his offensive contribution. I have no problem giving him credit when he deserves it, namely in the Clasico the other day, the game against CL a few seasons ago, and others, but to be honest, those occasions on which we win points because of having Alves are extremely rare. And occasions on which we lose points because of him are very frequent. Someone be a good sport and go count how many goals in the last 3-4 seasons we've conceded because of him, and how many we've scored because of him. Yes, he's been a big part of the team and its success since he's arrived, but I, for one, won't be fooled to think we're still so incredibly lucky to have him. We won't be losing any more points without him than we are now.

F

Flavia

I can't help but laugh at the thought of "us losing points" for not having Alves. So many points that we've lost already are exactly because of him and his defensive shortcomings, and so few that we've won are because of him and his offensive contribution. I have no problem giving him credit when he deserves it, namely in the Clasico the other day, the game against CL a few seasons ago, and others, but to be honest, those occasions on which we win points because of having Alves are extremely rare. And occasions on which we lose points because of him are very frequent. Someone be a good sport and go count how many goals in the last 3-4 seasons we've conceded because of him, and how many we've scored because of him. Yes, he's been a big part of the team and its success since he's arrived, but I, for one, won't be fooled to think we're still so incredibly lucky to have him. We won't be losing any more points without him than we are now.

It's not about being lucky to have him, far from it. Just that we can't buy this summer, and the position will be weakened. Adriano, Montoya and Douglas are all worse than Alves.
The board(zubi) screwed up last summer, when they got douglas, instead of a capable rb.

Stric

It's not about being lucky to have him, far from it. Just that we can't buy this summer, and the position will be weakened. Adriano, Montoya and Douglas are all worse than Alves.
The board(zubi) screwed up last summer, when they got douglas, instead of a capable rb.

That's absolutely right, the board made a bad call, and the position will temporarily be weakened if he leaves. If for no other reason, then simply by virtue of having one less player to choose from. But that doesn't necessarily mean our results will suffer. On the contrary, it might even improve our defense. People keep talking about Alves's offensive contribution and how crucial it is, and they forget that at the time when he was peaking, we had a LB who was very defensive. There was balance. Now, with a young, short, offensive-minded Alba, it's time to turn the flanks around and play more defensively on the right. I can't understand how so many people don't see that losing Alves is the natural and the right thing to do for the balance of the team.

Bertus

If Nasser really signs him, then it's retarded.

Whatever how great Alves is (and I have my doubt that he's not on decline), paying 9M salary (wage was reported today in french medias) for a 32yo RB is totally retarded when you are under the FFP.

Can't facepalm enough :facepalm:

F

Flavia

That's absolutely right, the board made a bad call, and the position will temporarily be weakened if he leaves. If for no other reason, then simply by virtue of having one less player to choose from. But that doesn't necessarily mean our results will suffer. On the contrary, it might even improve our defense. People keep talking about Alves's offensive contribution and how crucial it is, and they forget that at the time when he was peaking, we had a LB who was very defensive. There was balance. Now, with a young, short, offensive-minded Alba, it's time to turn the flanks around and play more defensively on the right. I can't understand how so many people don't see that losing Alves is the natural and the right thing to do for the balance of the team.

It'd be the right thing to do, if we had a good rb to replace him. And we don't know if we'll get a replacement in january. We don't know which board will be in charge and what they'll do. Buying a player in the summer, to arrive in january, will be complicated and expensive too.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Whatever how great Alves is (and I have my doubt that he's not on decline), paying 9M salary (wage was reported today in french medias) for a 32yo RB is totally retarded when you are under the FFP.

Can't facepalm enough :facepalm:

We can lighten that FFP burden by taking Verratti and Marquinhos off of your hands. :D

Bertus

Dinorah (agent Alves): "If Barcelona call me today, they might arrive late." [md]

The agent of Dani Alves (31) has arrived in Paris to hold talks with PSG. The contract of the Brazilian right back expires in June. [md]

Interesting, so I guess Barca will wait a little bit longer:coffee:

Just now on french radio, they said they got the same kind of info from his agent apparently.

Rumored comments from his agent are like "If Barca still wants to renew him, it might already be too late".

:facepalm: WTF are you doing Nasser

Stric

The arrogance of that statement and his arrogance regarding his contract in general is reason enough not to renew him. A well-past-his-prime no-good often-cringe-worthy 32-year-old player/clown who's cost us dozens of goals and offers close to nothing but wasted passes wants a multi-year extension with a huge salary at possibly the finest club in Europe at the moment? Common sense has the answer here. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

F

Flavia

The arrogance of that statement and his arrogance regarding his contract in general is reason enough not to renew him. A well-past-his-prime no-good often-cringe-worthy 32-year-old player/clown who's cost us dozens of goals and offers close to nothing but wasted passes wants a multi-year extension with a huge salary at possibly the finest club in Europe at the moment? Common sense has the answer here. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

That's not fair, Stric. Zubi almost humiliated him in the press conference where he stated Alves had just one year left on his contract. And the silence of the board regarding his future was also in very bad taste. As they did with many players previously, just ignoring them. Alves is not the one in the wrong here. He is a club legend, gave a lot to Barça. Should had been treated way better. Alves waited as long as he could. He is free to sign for another team since january.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
Just now on french radio, they said they got the same kind of info from his agent apparently.

Rumored comments from his agent are like "If Barca still wants to renew him, it might already be too late".

:facepalm: WTF are you doing Nasser

Don't blame him, he probably couldn't resist Alves' charm :alveshat:

Stric

That's not fair, Stric. Zubi almost humiliated him in the press conference where he stated Alves had just one year left on his contract. And the silence of the board regarding his future was also in very bad taste. As they did with many players previously, just ignoring them. Alves is not the one in the wrong here. He is a club legend, gave a lot to Barça. Should had been treated way better. Alves waited as long as he could. He is free to sign for another team since january.

I understand that, but what's the alternative? The silence is awkward and creates tension, but I'm sure that he would have found it equally, if not more humiliating if the club just announced that they do not plan on renewing his contract.

Abidal was different. He was promised an extension, and then the silence started. And then he was let go.

Home of Barca Fans